Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM

49 posts, read 80,285 times

Advertisements

Ouch! How will this help with the increased tuition increasing too? In no way shape or form do i understand economic, but I see the college bubble burst coming from the way people are talking. Is this a positive move or negative move increasing the loan rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Hopefully it will make students think twice before taking on the debt.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hopefully it will make students think twice before taking on the debt.
Yeah I'm sure that'll show those gosh darn irresponsible students with the US having the highest average tuition cost in the world and everything!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Well, I'll probably be looking at going to grad school abroad, that's for sure. I've got enough loans, thank you very much, despite good 75% of my being covered by scholarships and grants. I can go into less debt abroad if I can't get full funding.

Pitt Chick, in this day and age, it's nearly impossible NOT to take on debt when pursuing higher education. Unless you end up at an Ivy League school or other well endowed school that will give you a full ride, win some sort of 3rd party full ride scholarship, or are independently wealthy, you're going to go into some debt with a 4 year degree. There aren't enough scholarships, not enough grants, not enough state funding going to public schools, and not enough jobs for students to work their way through school. This will affect the great majority of students negatively.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
This is why I'm working two jobs and living at home with my mother. I know too many in people who are in serious debt (like more than 40k). However, I see nothing wrong with going into reasonable debt for a master's degree.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
This is why I'm working two jobs and living at home with my mother. I know too many in people who are in serious debt (like more than 40k). However, I see nothing wrong with going into reasonable debt for a master's degree.
If the town of a few thousand people I grew up in had any of the programs I was interested in, this could have been a possibility.

Instead I have like $35k in student loans and an associates degree. Luckily I still make plenty that it's not a big issue.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Well, I'll probably be looking at going to grad school abroad, that's for sure. I've got enough loans, thank you very much, despite good 75% of my being covered by scholarships and grants. I can go into less debt abroad if I can't get full funding.

Pitt Chick, in this day and age, it's nearly impossible NOT to take on debt when pursuing higher education. Unless you end up at an Ivy League school or other well endowed school that will give you a full ride, win some sort of 3rd party full ride scholarship, or are independently wealthy, you're going to go into some debt with a 4 year degree. There aren't enough scholarships, not enough grants, not enough state funding going to public schools, and not enough jobs for students to work their way through school. This will affect the great majority of students negatively.
A quality school is a tad under 20k at graduation.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If the town of a few thousand people I grew up in had any of the programs I was interested in, this could have been a possibility.

Instead I have like $35k in student loans and an associates degree. Luckily I still make plenty that it's not a big issue.
35k is much more than most bachelor degree debt.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
35k is much more than most bachelor degree debt.
Yeah. 17k or so was from a tech school I went to as well. I'm 25 and have also made about 80k already this year. Degrees arent required for everyone to be successful. I learned plenty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM

49 posts, read 80,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I read that more people in the U.S. are looking at Canada and other countries for college. Far cheaper and less time in school to get a B.A, B.S or M.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities