Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM

757 posts, read 1,107,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I majored in Interdisciplinary Social Science - Sociology and Psychology. I loved it, and it remains my passion to this day. I have a minor in English.

My best advice would be to study your passion - what you love - as an undergraduate.
Specialize in graduate or professional school.

Sociology and Social Work are different majors. Different subject. Sociology is theoretical. Social Work is an applied field.

To work is Social Work, you will need an MSW. Masters in Social Work.

You are not even sure that you want to be a Social Worker. That's a long way off.

I'd learn theory before practice.
Where in my thread did I say I wasn't sure if want to be a social worker?
All I said was since I'm already majoring in psychology, should I just avoid doubling up on Sociology and minor in something else instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,187,073 times
Quote:
So, this student should choose his major based on the topics of City Data threads?

The most useless thing I ever studied, for me personally, was Registered Nursing.

Why? I didn't love it. It was OK. So my career ended up being only 15 years long and I worked part time for much of that.
Nothing good ever come of trying to twist and contort ourselves into something we are not.

Over my life time, I have made more money using my gifts and talents that I did working as a somewhat reluctant nurse.

Why did I study nursing? So I could obtain a high paying job, Dumbest thing I ever did.

Please, City Data nurses, you know that I have great respect for what you do. I was just not cut out for nursing - or for any science oriented field.

Love what you do and money will follow,
I would say that depends upon the disparity between what you love to do, and how much you want to make.

If your passion is writing, then perhaps you can get a gig doing something that allows you to utilize your talents.

If your passion is playing jazz music, the $ definitely will NOT follow. Ever. So, you need to decide between playing music and struggling your whole life or picking a career that is OK to you and makes some stable $ while doing your passion on the side.

In the case of OP, I would assume he is going into Social Work because he genuinely wants to. Why would anybody who isn't semi-passionate about Social Work go into it? The pay is quite low. I'm sure he knows that.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I would say that depends upon the disparity between what you love to do, and how much you want to make.

If your passion is writing, then perhaps you can get a gig doing something that allows you to utilize your talents.

If your passion is playing jazz music, the $ definitely will NOT follow. Ever. So, you need to decide between playing music and struggling your whole life or picking a career that is OK to you and makes some stable $ while doing your passion on the side.

In the case of OP, I would assume he is going into Social Work because he genuinely wants to. Why would anybody who isn't semi-passionate about Social Work go into it? The pay is quite low. I'm sure he knows that.
Why does everyone assume that ALL Social Workers make a very low wage?

I feel like when people think of Social Workers, the first thing that comes to mind are the people who work for child services that make close to 40K a year (Which in fact is quite low, especially living in NYC). But Social Work has a very wide range; Specifically, I want to pursue a career in psychotherapy.

But one day I do want to own a nice house in a nice suburban neighborhood. Sometimes I contemplate dropping this major altogether, but there isn't really anything else I can do without being incredibly stressed.

Math = stress
Science= stress
English = TONS of work for LESS of what i would make in social work

I'm at a really awkward crossroads right now, and I don't know what to do. I thought I was so sure of myself but im not I suppose.

Last edited by Jonathanp219; 07-12-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM

6,492 posts, read 7,859,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post

I feel like when people think of Social Workers, the first thing that comes to mind are the people who work for child services that make close to 40K a year (Which in fact is quite low, especially living in NYC). But Social Work has a very wide range; Specifically, I want to pursue a career in psychotherapy.
So young, so much living to do - I envy you.

My wife is a psychologist...PhD. She has a social worker or two in her practice. Their reimbursment rates aren't very high. And, why would I come to you for therapy when I can go to a psychologist? I'm not saying it isn't possible, of course it is but it's a weak education for a psychotherapist. You likely won't be among the competent professionals in that field and your caseload of patients will reflect that. If you want to help people with psychotherapy then consider taking a higher road.

Psychology is a tough field because everyone and their mother thinks it's up their alley. Then when they find out that first, getting into a good doctorate program is uber competative and second, if one gets in they realize it isn't what they thought it was. My wife is and was always brilliant, never scoring below the 99th percentile on any standardized test. She is cute and charming as well. That, mixed with some luck helped her get to where she is today. Be warned, a real psych doctoral program is very far from a touchy feely tell me about your mother kind of thing. There are of course PsyD's and things like that as well that you can look into. All of it really depends on your level of desire, commitment, intelligence, etc.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,187,073 times
Quote:

But one day I do want to own a nice house in a nice suburban neighborhood. Sometimes I contemplate dropping this major altogether, but there isn't really anything else I can do without being incredibly stressed.

Math = stress
Science= stress

I'm at a really awkward crossroads right now, and I don't know what to do. I thought I was so sure of myself but im not I suppose.
That's kind of how the world is unfortunately. If you want reward, you have endure stress.

If you are picking a major based on comfortable pay and job security, I might argue that an MSW would be the wrong choice.

Regardless of what you pick as an undergraduate major, if you pefrom well, you should have some options at the end of it.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,456,768 times
Quote:

Love what you do and money will follow,
This is very true for all the 0.69% of people who "love" what they do.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ate-about.html (and do it on evenings and weekends for the rest of your life)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...great-way.html

I Did What I Loved and Nearly Destroyed Myself

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ove-do-vs.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-illusion.html

Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Math = stress
Science= stress
Academic math and science are ten times harder than the math and science you use in the work force. Engineers are doers, thinkers, problem solvers, crowd controllers, economists, organizers, meeting attenders, test setter uppers, report writers, and paper copiers.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Short Answer: I'm ****ed lol

Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Short Answer: I'm ****ed lol
Get in shape and hang out at the med school library - hook yourself a chick in med school.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Get in shape and hang out at the med school library - hook yourself a chick in med school.
I already have a girl, she's doing social work as well

like i said, im ****ed.

plus, last thing i want to do is mooch off my woman for the rest of my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities