Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM

167 posts, read 379,064 times

Advertisements

I'm a student studying psychology and philosophy at a Public Ivy university. However, my cumulative GPA is horrible due to social issues and just found out I might have ADD (so I will most likely be put on medication that will make me focus more). My freshman year and half of my sophomore year, I literally failed my classes because I did not put any effort and was really lost.

I am very confused and anxious about my future. I planned on going to graduate school for clinical psychology right after I graduate (I will hopefully getting two diplomas and a specialization) but I don't think that's possible because honestly my cumulative GPA so far (it's still rising) is between 2.0 and 3.0 and I'm not sure if it ever will come up to a 3.0 (that's how badly I messed up freshman year). However, my psychology major GPA is above 3.0 and my philosophy major GPA is close to 3.0. Also I have no time to take the GRE in 2013 so there's no way I can apply for graduate school that starts in Fall 2014.

What do you all suggest I do? Take a few years after graduating to work and gain more experience? If I do that, I plan on studying for the GRE and eventually taking it while working.

Is there any possible way I can get into graduate school or am I out of luck?

Thanks all in advance. Thanks for reading as well; I know it was long.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: removed personal info, at OP's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,169,198 times
First off, stop making excuses. If you are going to use ADD as an excuse, then just accept the fact that you'll never perform up to a high level and forget grad school.

There's no such thing as intelligence for the majority of us. There's just hard work. If I was considering you for a job and I read what you just wrote, I would never, EVER hire you. If you concentrate and lock yourself in the library, you will do well.

Like what's this crap about not having enough time to study for the GRE? It doesn't take that long to study for it, and it's only offered almost every day of the year. Just do it. You'll need to take it by October to get your scores in.

The good news is that despite what people say, graduate programs are almost always more lenient on GPA requirements than people think. The bad news is that Psychology is a particularly competitive program. I suggest you do as much research as you can, work on getting your grades up, and take the GRE.

If you just want to get into a Masters program, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to. I don't care what your GPA is. If you want to get into a pHd, that's a little trickier. To counteract your poor GPA, you'll need research and possibly publications. I think the best way to do that is to go do a Masters in Psych and get a prof to supervise your research.

Work experience could help too, but not as much as doing research and the Masters IMO.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM

102,340 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Yours is a very interesting case, OP. Your practical experience will stand you in good stead, job-wise, as will the contacts you're making through your research team, and through participation in conferences. But why are you volunteering to write papers and do projects (in addition to your studies), when you have trouble focussing? That doesn't make sense. Do you have any trouble focussing for the work you're doing on the team? Why would you add to your academic burden when you don't know if you can do an adequate job for your courses? There's something here that doesn't make sense.

If you're so heavily into Psychology, why are you double-majoring? Ditch the philosophy major, focus on psychology, and bingo--you'll have time to study for the GRE.

If you do have ADD, there's a biofeedback program that can resolve it, called Neurofeedback. At this point in time, it's not covered by most insurances, though.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,518,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
First off, stop making excuses. If you are going to use ADD as an excuse, then just accept the fact that you'll never perform up to a high level and forget grad school.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. One can get through grad school with ADD and without special accommodations or medication. You just have to develop better study habits. You should find someone at your college or a professional to help you develop a routine.

I've never been formally diagnosed with anything, but I have had a lot of issues with focusing. Once I developed a routine, my grades improved. I finished my master's with a 3.8 GPA, and I'm about to start a fully funded PhD program.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,486,761 times
Both my granddaughter and her husband work in Clinical Psychology and have been doing so since entering grad school, then graduating. They haven't aimed for a doctorate because there are far more jobs available for masters level psychologists.
I realize improvements occur quickly sometimes, but when and if neurofeedback resolves HDD is news! If it is true, I wonder why such a program isn't established in many more locales? I think it is one possibility to try, but, far from a cure all.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM

6,489 posts, read 7,847,692 times
I never knew there was such a thing as a public Ivy school? What school could this be? I'm not sure you know what Ivy League is, but no matter because I get your point - it's a good school.

Clinical psych is a tough program to get into. Although there are levels and different schools have different standards and programs. If it's really what you want to do you can, and have several options on how to get there. None are easy and you should really be sure that you want a career in psych, and which type of a career.

My wife has a PhD in clinical psych, but she's a genius. Still, she needed some luck to get into her university. She did go to a top program and her education was fully funded, and she received a stipend as well. It was very tought to get in even though she scored in the 99th percentile on the GRE and participated in the largest ADHD research project in the USA (at the time). THe project was a very famous one - she didn't do anything grand on it but her assiciation with it was a big deal. SOme of those thigns helped her to get an interview at the university but after that the decision came down to if people liked her and if she was a good fit with a particular lab. She has a charming personality so that helped with the interviews.

It's a tough road - both getting there and then getting through it. Her program bordered on abusive, with the craziness of the prelim exams, defending her dissertation, and many other things. I imagine a program without a world class reputation will have less to live up to but I don't think any of them will be much easier.

If what you say you want is a priority then make it a priority and study for the GRE and whatever else you need to do. I went to business school so concentrated on the GMAT but took the GRE just to leave my options open. The GRE isn't a terribly tough exam but you should treat it as the toughest thing ever. Study your a$$ off and do it with quality. Too many just put in time without making a good plan of attack first. Make a plan for how you are going to study and execute it.

Are you familiar with the different schools of thought and orientations? CBT, psychodynamic, humanitic, etc? Which do you find most interesting? Which programs offer that orientation? Even after the education you will then have to be accepted to an Internship program which can be anywhere in the country. It's not an easy road or field.

Some of your options are to assess your chances and if you find them satisfactory apply to a PhD program straight away.

Bolster your application with more research experience in your specific area of interest. And focus in on a specific interest (orientation, career, etc.). Then apply to PhD programs.

Apply to Masters programs, do well, gain experience and (this is important) get to know people - professors, etc. who can help you get into a PhD program after your thesis. Charm really helps, a lot. There will be plenty of people who can hang academically so what's left? I'll tell ya what - whether they like you.

You can also consider different programs that are less rigorous - a Psy D., school psychology, etc.

I hope none of that discourages you, it's not meant to. You should absolutely strieve for what you want, and th tougher it is the more rewarding. If clinical research based psych is where you want to go then do it. Just know that no matter how strong you are academically, there are many other factors that will determine success.

Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 AM

5,072 posts, read 6,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I never knew there was such a thing as a public Ivy school? What school could this be? I'm not sure you know what Ivy League is, but no matter because I get your point - it's a good school.
It's a slang term for a very, very good and relatively well-resourced/recognized public school: e.g. William and Mary, University of Colorado, University of Georgia.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:21 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,452,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindTheCure View Post
I'm a student studying psychology and philosophy

What do you all suggest I do?
Change majors to something more practical.
Attend an inexpensive school to save money (minimize student loans).

Otherwise, you'll be starting threads like these in a few years:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...heres-job.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-can-i-do.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ajor-woes.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...orth-debt.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...oing-into.html

Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM

102,340 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I realize improvements occur quickly sometimes, but when and if neurofeedback resolves HDD is news! If it is true, I wonder why such a program isn't established in many more locales? I think it is one possibility to try, but, far from a cure all.
Google it. It's available in most states, and Europe. The practitioner in my town has been successfully treating kids and adults for over a decade.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM

167 posts, read 379,064 times
jobaba: I am not trying to make any excuses, I am just telling people about my situation. If I kept making excuses, then I would still not be doing well at all.

Ruth4Truth: I have trouble focusing in class and concentrating on homework but surprising I can put a lot of effort into the extracurricular activities I do (research and counseling). If it's a heavy load and if I can't handle it, I'll reduce the amount of activities I'm involved with.

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten from all of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities