U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 AM

7 posts, read 89,247 times

Advertisements

hi all,

i'm looking for colleges near nyc for computer science major,

I have done some research ,
Please help to rank the following colleges and if possible can answer any of the following questions resulted from my research (thanks to all in advance):

STONY BROOK (will try to apply to, but probably a little far from nyc)

CITY COLLEGE (heard they have decent cs programs, but are there many employers coming to campus?) Link: http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/compsci/upl...Spring2012.pdf

BROOKLYN COLLEGE (there is lots of options, computer science/computer programming/computer information system, but not sure how good is the school for cs and is there a lot of employers coming to campus?) Link: Brooklyn College | Majors, Minors and Concentrations

CITY TECH (their Computer Information System program looks pretty attracting with lots of practical courses, but are there many employers coming to campus?) Link: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/catalog...#nameddest=cst (PAGE214)

RUTGERS - NEW BRUNSWICK (Probably more prestigious with better employment? don't know too much, any suggestions?)

HUNTER COLLEGE (took a look at their curriculum, it is a BA, not BS, but still don't know how is it overall? also heard that employers is not as many as ccny city college, true?)
Link: Majoring in Computer Science — Hunter College

QUEENS COLLEGE (heard that professors don't know how to teach there?? and not many employers either??) link: http://www.cs.qc.cuny.edu/undergrad/BS.pdf

NJIT (don't have comments yet)

or any other suggestions?

thanks you all very much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 4 days ago)

15,543 posts, read 23,370,705 times
Default How about

The Fu Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science - Columbia University

And stop focusing on "are there many employers coming to campus?".

Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The Fu Foundation School of Engineering & Applied Science - Columbia University

And stop focusing on "are there many employers coming to campus?".
lol, sure, that just additional questions, the main thing is how is the computer programs there.

thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,942,708 times
I think that you need to investigate what aspects of computer science/engineering/IT the programs focus on so that you know what program(s) fit(s) what you want to do. What you need to get out of your undergraduate degree are the skills to help you achieve your career goals, be that research or a job.

If you are fascinated by the theory of how computers do their thing, then a program geared to the sciences is probably something you'd like. OTOH, if you see computers as tools to assist people doing something, then perhaps a program that stresses practical application/problems would be more to your liking.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Rutgers is out of list (it is out NY State, little pricy)

thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think that you need to investigate what aspects of computer science/engineering/IT the programs focus on so that you know what program(s) fit(s) what you want to do. What you need to get out of your undergraduate degree are the skills to help you achieve your career goals, be that research or a job.

If you are fascinated by the theory of how computers do their thing, then a program geared to the sciences is probably something you'd like. OTOH, if you see computers as tools to assist people doing something, then perhaps a program that stresses practical application/problems would be more to your liking.
thanks for this great comment, I'm just in this situation, trying to figure out what exactly i like.

I have did a lot of research, the computer science is more in depth programming, which I do like (I already took Calculus I, II, III, Physics I, II, III, and differential equations, no problem with math).

However, when i took a look at CIS program at City Tech, they also have in depth Java, C++, Web Programming, Mobile Application Programming, plus Unix, Lunix languages.

the thing is that's what they show up in their undergrad catalog, BUT, I don't know how good is it, is it as good as it describes, or is it just saying it, and after you graduate, you can't land a good job or something?

i'm trying to compare which school have a better curriculum, or great at teaching computer science, just in general good for computer science, because I heard some school they don't know how to teach for computer science. Please correct me if i'm wrong or anything, just trying to summarize my research and got the best out of it.

any further suggestions are Greatly appreciated

thanks alot

Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM

12,916 posts, read 29,817,496 times
Have you looked at colleges that have co-op programs, such as RIT? RIT has a great reputation in the tech fields and an excellent co-op program: Computer Science Here's the curriculum: Computer Science BS | Programs of Study

I realize it's not very close to NYC but it does have rail service and many students from NYC attend there. They also are pretty good with merit aid. When you do a co-op, you don't pay the tuition and your earnings from that can off set the cost.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 853,361 times
You have 4 CUNY's on your list, are you a NYC resident that plans on commuting? Are private schools like NYU-Poly or NYIT or Fordham out of the question.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:57 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,438,549 times
If you can get in/afford it, I would definitely rank Columbia ahead of any of the schools you listed, then NYU. They both have strong computer science programs with the added bonus of having great business schools. These business schools are teeming with people looking for any technical help they can find to help out with their "next facebook" or "next ebay". Even a fresh-faced newbie can probably find some low-risk project to begin hacking on, hopefully under the tutelage of a more seasoned developer. You probably won't be compensated at first, but it's a good opportunity to start working on "real" projects with people willing to work around your schedule.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,595,004 times
on that list, stony brook and rutgers are the best programs then ccny. generally ccny is the best of the cuny system for technical ugrad degrees although there are some exceptions. i wouldn't bother with city tech. i'm not very familiar with NJIT

source - i taught CS at ccny and also got my MS there

there are a modest amount of recruiters coming to any of the cuny schools. the more successful students don't wait for recruiters to come to them though - i've had students go to IBM, mozilla, etc but never seen these companies on campus recruiting

as has been mentioned, columbia if you can get in, but probably you can't if you need to ask. ugrad admissions are extremely selective there

nyu and poly are better choices as well but also tough to get into and expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities