Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,598,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The "fee" is the same whether you study abroad or not. The only added expense is your plane ticket and passport. The value in going isn't how much rent you would pay....
Well, I have actually never seen an int. program that didn't cost more than an actual semester, even if the tuition appeared to be the same. However, I can't see the sense in paying say 10K for a semester overseas when you could spend the same amount of time in that country for less than half that if you were not on a college program. It sounds fine if financial aid pays for it, but again, the programs I know of don't allow most types of financial aid. For example, you can't do work study or have a part time job while overseas, and that is important income for many students. Various other types of aid may also be excluded - maybe you're thinking of some kind of federal aid? I don't know much about that except because I've never gotten any or known anyone who did. Also, I've been on programs that have many fees once you get to the country that students don't know about ahead of time (i.e. a sudden increase in housing expense, a much higher cost of living than anticipated, etc.). If your kids went on a program that really didn't cost more in any way, then I would say that's great and the OP should try to do the same if she is able, but I also don't think it's the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Well, I have actually never seen an int. program that didn't cost more than an actual semester, even if the tuition appeared to be the same. However, I can't see the sense in paying say 10K for a semester overseas when you could spend the same amount of time in that country for less than half that if you were not on a college program. It sounds fine if financial aid pays for it, but again, the programs I know of don't allow most types of financial aid. For example, you can't do work study or have a part time job while overseas, and that is important income for many students. Various other types of aid may also be excluded - maybe you're thinking of some kind of federal aid? I don't know much about that except because I've never gotten any or known anyone who did. Also, I've been on programs that have many fees once you get to the country that students don't know about ahead of time (i.e. a sudden increase in housing expense, a much higher cost of living than anticipated, etc.). If your kids went on a program that really didn't cost more in any way, then I would say that's great and the OP should try to do the same if she is able, but I also don't think it's the norm.
But the 10K is also your college classes--tuition mostly---so you pay that either way

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,031,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morina1 View Post
I'm going into my Junior year of college and would really like to study abroad. I am studying both Spanish and French, and I am aiming to get into either Public Relations or Luxury Marketing, so knowing another language is greatly beneficial for my future career goals.

My question is does anyone know of any programs for students who come from low income backgrounds but have strong academics but need help studying abroad?
I've looked just about everywhere online and am becoming quite discouraged because it seems like studying abroad is only an option for kids with money. I work two jobs during the school year, and have held an internship every summer since being in college--including the summer before my Freshman year. I am very dedicated to my academics but know that this would be a great experience to help me become fluent in either Spanish or French. I just don't know what else to do, I can't afford to pay another whole tuition for just 2 months to 6 months overseas. The majority of the programs I've come across range from 10 grand to 15 grand and they only offer 500 to 1,000 dollars in scholarships

Does anyone know any program out there that either sponsors college students with high gpa's to study abroad or at least offer scholarships that match the cost of the program????
Check this out: Volunteer abroad and travel around the world | GVI USA I know people who have gone through this program and it's a good one. Room and board is covered and you can pick how long you go for. Also lots of different programs in lots of different areas. More of a summer thing than school year.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,254,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The program at our kids' school includes a month long Eurail pass if they study in Europe somewhere. Most of the kids plan their trips so they sleep on the train or stay in youth hostels. Kids that go fall semester end up spending their winter break there traveling after classes are done, spring semester they stay through May/early June. I agree, that is when a lot of the learning is done. I think everyone should do a study abroad somewhere.
DD visited Iceland (a layover), England, Poland, and Slovakia (stayed with our exchange student). I think she spent a total of $4K with "free" airfare (miles) and almost $2K of Merit $'s. But that also included some biology credits. The trip was full of amazing memories.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,070,658 times
It's a ripoff. If you can't get it paid for, then don't go. Sometimes in life, we want things we can't have, and just have to deal with it.

I used to listen to the kids talking about taking out loans to attend those courses with a week spent somewhere. The professors teaching the courses would try hard to sell them to the students, because they go for free.

My main priority was graduating with as little debt as possible.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM

22,701 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Quote:
First, DO NOT go on a study abroad program. It is a total ripoff. You pay your own school's tuition, plus the fees of the school overseas and your living expenses. Think about it - you pay like 15K for 3 months overseas, but you could go there yourself for way less than that. So yes, basically study abroad is for rich kids. (and kids who want to go way into debt). Moreover, most of those programs will not actually help you learn the language that well - many of them keep you with a large group of Americans, and you don't really have that easy a time getting exposure to the language of the country (especially if it's one where lots of people already speak English, like France or Spain).
Totally NOT my son's experience!

1. It was not a rip-off at all.

2. My son was a full-tuition scholarship student (no state or federal aid), and that transferred 100% to the foreign school. No additional fees.

3. re: living expenses.... Yes, he had to pay that, but the student housing there was way cheaper than here. The cost of his dorm room alone here covered the cost of housing and food there.

4. He was NOT kept with other Americans. He was in an international apartment complex, with Sri Lankans, a Brit, a Dutchman and several others.

It was a fantastic 5.5 months of his life, and he highly recommends it to anyone! No debt, and all of his credits applied to his major. His airfare was birthday/Christmas gift from us.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,612,696 times
Perhaps this thread should be thought of as a cautionary tale for any student/family that is in the process of a college search. Because my oldest child's college study abroad experience was very low cost (just the plane ticket), I thought that was the norm. We lucked out with our second child because he had a similar arrangement but with our third child, I was surprised to find some colleges that did not reciprocate tuition for SA. If a student really wants to do a SA, it's important to see what the potential costs are BEFORE enrollment. We did ask about that with our #3 child and his SA, this Spring may well be less expensive then his school here in the states. Most of my kids friends have done or are planning to do a SA BECAUSE the cost is the same as at their home college.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
It's a ripoff. If you can't get it paid for, then don't go. Sometimes in life, we want things we can't have, and just have to deal with it.

I used to listen to the kids talking about taking out loans to attend those courses with a week spent somewhere. The professors teaching the courses would try hard to sell them to the students, because they go for free.

My main priority was graduating with as little debt as possible.
I'm sorry...

Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,999,615 times
I never did a program but it was something that sounded interesting. The one thing I would say is not about the cost. It is knowing what credits would transfer back to your program. If your major does not have any courses that would transfer back into your major program, I wouldn't exactly do it or do one of the monthly programs just to have it on the resume and off the bucket list.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,395,193 times
Quote:
There are some places were students can work while they are abroad. It does depend on the limitations of their student visa, but it is doable. A lot of students will also offer to teach/share English lessons to make a little money on the side. There are a good number of scholarships that CAN apply to study abroad, its just a matter of investigating them, and knowing what is out there. I posted two in an earlier post that are excellent opportunities for well qualified students.

There are going to be some extra expenses with study abroad, but really when you think about it it is small potatoes in the long run. I personally do not regret the small amount of extra debt that I have now, and I have never heard any student say it was a waste of time and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I never did a program but it was something that sounded interesting. The one thing I would say is not about the cost. It is knowing what credits would transfer back to your program. If your major does not have any courses that would transfer back into your major program, I wouldn't exactly do it or do one of the monthly programs just to have it on the resume and off the bucket list.
Here is where the study abroad office can help offer advice and guide you to locations/programs that have classes that can be a good academic fit. I work with student and their academic advisers to make sure that students find programs that will meet their academic needs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-07-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities