Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,176,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Who says you have to settle for a small company if you did not attend a "big name" school? Like I said already, General Electric in Cincinnati actively recruits from Ohio universities. Procter&Gamble actively recruits from Ohio universities. GM, Ford, and Chrysler (and all of the foreign auto transplants) hire most of their engineers from midwest universities. Are those not global companies?

By the way, the Fortune 500 companies have been doing the most downsizing over the past 40 years. It is the small and medium size companies that have been doing the job creation in the US over the same time period.
Of course there are exceptions to every general rule. I didn't think I needed to say that.

If GE Cincinnati is recruiting from universities in the same state then it still fits with my example of staying within a regional area. They just happen to also be a huge company, same with all your other examples. In our case, we lived in a much smaller market. Going to that small university made our scope of local recruiting much narrower. IF you live in one of these smaller markets without a GM, Ford or GE in your regional area you may want to carefully consider what school to attend if that's not where you want to stay. Of course I am not saying you cannot get a job elsewhere after graduating from a small school, but I am saying it could be more difficult to find employment if your school is unknown in the industry you chose to study.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,989,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, fine. The vast majority of CCs do not offer bachelor's degrees, and even yours in FL offer, by your own admission, "limited" degrees. I would bet the name of the college on the nursing degrees is the name of the 4 year college that sponsors the "RN to BSN" program on the CC campus. In fact, the CCs in CO would like to offer bachelor's degrees, but the state said "no". So the comparison of graduates from the CCs and the colleges is apples to, well, maybe pancakes.
Colorado House kills bill backing 4-year degrees at community colleges - The Denver Post
Are you this contentious with everyone or just me? I did not say that all CC offer 4 year degrees. What I said was many do. You asked for examples. I gave you examples. Yet you still write off what I have to say.

17 states have authorized community colleges to grant 4 year degrees. It is a nationwide trend. I stand by my statement that many CC offer 4 year degrees.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,550,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
There is truth to that, however, consider the following:

1) Average student in HS, 3.2 GPA, 1300 combined SAT score (M & V)... Goes to top 100 school. Gets act together, studies hard, joins several clubs, graduates with honors, 3.8 GPA in some engineering field.

2) Top student in HS, 4.0 GPA, 1580 combined SAT score (M&V)... Goes to MIT. Once away from strict parental guidance, loses focus, graduates mid-pack, 3.0 GPA in same engineering field as student 1.

Which student is now more accomplished?
There are exceptions to every rule. When having a broad discussion it should be assumed there are exceptions but in most cases those are not very useful in trying to debate your point.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM

13,257 posts, read 33,653,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Just a reminder of the OP ^^^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,180,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Are you this contentious with everyone or just me? I did not say that all CC offer 4 year degrees. What I said was many do. You asked for examples. I gave you examples. Yet you still write off what I have to say.

17 states have authorized community colleges to grant 4 year degrees. It is a nationwide trend. I stand by my statement that many CC offer 4 year degrees.
What's with the personal attack?

17 states (1/3 of the country) give "limited" (your term) bachelors' degrees, and we're supposed to accept that this study that compared the number of CC students who got a bachelors with the number that went to a four year school, nationwide?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,989,928 times
Quote:
Personal attack? There was no "attack".

Quote:
17 states (1/3 of the country) give "limited" (your term) bachelors' degrees, and we're supposed to accept that this study that compared the number of CC students who got a bachelors with the number that went to a four year school, nationwide?
I am not sure this is exactly what the study examined. However, 1/3 of the country would fit my adjective, which was many.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,841,280 times
Quote:

It doesn't. It compares high achieving kids who went to selective schools (mostly 4 year) with high achieving kids who went to easy access 2 AND 4 year schools. It never says they only used community colleges.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It doesn't. It compares high achieving kids who went to selective schools (mostly 4 year) with high achieving kids who went to easy access 2 AND 4 year schools. It never says they only used community colleges.
And the article compared graduation rates! SOME of these students went to colleges that did not award a bachelor's degree.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,550,557 times
Quote:
And the article compared graduation rates! SOME of these students went to colleges that did not award a bachelor's degree.
So your point relies on a bunch of students who had over 1200 on the SAT enrolling at a CC with the intent to never get those two year degree.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So your point relies on a bunch of students who had over 1200 on the SAT enrolling at a CC with the intent to never get those two year degree.
You don't have to get the two year degree to get a 4 year degree. You can take a few courses, a semester's worth, a year, three semesters or two years. Even with the latter, you still might not have taken all the courses you need to get the AA, but you may be able to transfer.

In most statistical sets, students who transfer to another institution are considered "drop-outs". My drop-out daughter is about to get her master's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities