Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times

Advertisements

id still go with the "what you major in determines success more than name of school every would" that being said I will not discount the importance of school recognition. For instance if someone majored in what many call a "useless" major- an anthropology degree at an Ivy school vs an Anthropology major at a state school, the Ivy grad will probably get the interviews, the call backs over the state grad despite both majors being the same and despite both majors having the reputation of being largely "useless" -brand name goes a long way.

However I remain in the camp of majoring in the right thing is the key to success

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Interesting how this data plays into the other thread where people keep touting the supposed "benefits" of going the community college route and then transferring, well "MOST" community college students aren't graduating so that clearly isn't the best route to go...
What does graduating from a community college have to do with transferring? If a student is transferring, then the obvious goal is a bachelor's, not an associate's. Like I've said in other threads, I have a master's degree, and I never graduated from the community colleges I attended. I know many students like myself. They just didn't care to graduate from the community college.

As someone else pointed out, many people take a class or two here and there at community colleges for personal enrichment or professional development because the tuition is cheap.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM

24 posts, read 52,387 times
Wow, accurate information is hard to access! The fact that students attending open enrollment colleges fare less well does not necessarily show "...that the admission algorithms at selective college work fairly well." It holds true for students admitted to competitive schools but end up in open enrollment schools because they can't afford the more competitive ones. A school's climate (environment, norms, expectations) has a strong influence on the students attending the school. There is an expectation that those matriculating in a competitive college will continue, full time, for 4 years at which point most will graduate. In open enrollment schools, the (generally) diverse (age, circumstances) student body imposes much more lenient standards with less pressure to focus exclusively on school, for example, and going part time, taking time off, working more than studying are all accepted, if not the norm, in open enrollment colleges. So the same student who would progress with peers in a competitive college may go part time and work (with peers) in an open enrollment college. Taking fewer credits and extending the number of years needed to complete the degree introduces higher risk of never graduating. Whether the GPA, major or name of the college is more important depends on the specifics of each situation. More important for what? It is true that most people think about colleges in US News and World Report ranking terms rather than considering the strengths and weaknesses of the college. Brown University, an Ivy league college with a lot of great characteristics, does not yet have a strong engineering program. An employer looking for a well trained engineer is more likely to hire someone from Georgia Tech than Brown, all other things being equal. But if that student wanted to go to business school, the Brown degree may be as strong or stronger.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
id still go with the "what you major in determines success more than name of school every would" that being said I will not discount the importance of school recognition. For instance if someone majored in what many call a "useless" major- an anthropology degree at an Ivy school vs an Anthropology major at a state school, the Ivy grad will probably get the interviews, the call backs over the state grad despite both majors being the same and despite both majors having the reputation of being largely "useless" -brand name goes a long way.

However I remain in the camp of majoring in the right thing is the key to success
I am in that camp as well. Students are talented in different subjects. Finding the right fit in terms of major and school, will more times that not, result in success.

Also agree that a "name" school will help open doors.

What I see more than anything are extremes. Parents who want Ivy, almost Ivy, the former Seven Sisters or North Eastern schools (some states, but not many for this crowd) and nothing else will do.
The emotional and psychological fit is completely ignored. As is the student and her needs.

On the other extreme are parents who think that all colleges are the same. Many, but not all are first generation college attendees.
They will look at the private college in their city, a state school in state, or a college affiliated with their religion. I am not talking about a resident college affiliated with your religion, and many will give grants to students of that denomination. That's a good thing.

I am referencing people from Long Island (I'm originally from there) who attend a cc and then go on to St.Joseph's college - only because it's Catholic, rather than choosing a Roman Catholic college because of it's merit as an academic institution.

Many fail to see the value in attending a resident college, and opt for the "2-2 plan". Two years at the community college and two years at a commuter school.

Neither extremes seem to have positive outcomes.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This wasn't an oversight. You wrote the post.
His point was clearly to name a school few had heard of and wasn't ranked high. The only thing that made people recognize the school was that it had a states name in it.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Many people choose not to graduate from a 2-year school. A lot of people go there to earn transfer credits cheaply for a bachelor's degree, not because they want an associate's degree.
Someone with over a 1200 on the SAT likely isn't going for a couple classes.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
I think you will also find that some regions of the country, mainly NE region, put a LOT more emphasis on the name on the diploma than other parts of the country. I also think that people in the NE, in general, think that people know of the schools out there. Sure the Ivy's and the big sports schools have name recognition but most people aren't going to put any more emphasis on a degree from Northeastern then they are from a midwest LAC or wherever. In very, very select fields does the name on your diploma really matter.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think you will also find that some regions of the country, mainly NE region, put a LOT more emphasis on the name on the diploma than other parts of the country. I also think that people in the NE, in general, think that people know of the schools out there. Sure the Ivy's and the big sports schools have name recognition but most people aren't going to put any more emphasis on a degree from Northeastern then they are from a midwest LAC or wherever. In very, very select fields does the name on your diploma really matter.
Not many schools will be known all over the country like you said. The next level would be staying in your general region that your school is in so employers know more about your school.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not many schools will be known all over the country like you said. The next level would be staying in your general region that your school is in so employers know more about your school.
Which is what most college grads do for their first job anyway....so it's really a non-issue

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post

The article does not say that students should go to more selective universities because of name recognition. The article discusses graduation rates which are significantly higher for students at more selective universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities