Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Harvey Mudd is a top engineering school in southern California, but the name is unknown outside of the west coast.
a harvey mudd resume would immediately go to the top of the heap at any east coast tech shop i know of

sure john q doe might not know about it, but john q hiring-manager does

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post

OP wasn't even about this though, just about graduation rates. jeez people

and as far as all the hate jobaba got for his foot in mouth, cut him some slack. he's a pretty tireless advocate for community colleges and non name brand education around here and he already apologized
Haha. Thanks. I may have been a bit overzealous myself in responding to a poster.

As far as grad rates, that's a pretty cut and dry argument in my mind. Those that attend 'open enrollment' colleges (whatever that means) tend to have less financial resources, and more life responsibilites.

I don't think attrition rate has anything to do with how well a particular university grooms its students or its academic rigor (at least in reference to the OP). If they accepted you, and you flunk out, then it was because a) you slacked, b) life did not allow you to devote enough time/money to school. Students who attend open enrollment colleges may be on the lower end of students, but often the student body at those colleges resembles a high school class, so not being able to 'cut it' shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Those that attend 'open enrollment' colleges (whatever that means)
probably something like CUNY's CCs where anyone who has a diploma or GED may attend, regardless of other criteria. i believe they only have a selection process for the flagship schools (queens college, ccny, etc)

i do wonder if the study properly controlled for wealth when it compared the >1200 and 1000-1099 score groups

Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, it doesn't....you just want to THINK it does....
So you are saying there is no benefit with a degree at Berkeley versus some obscure college? REALLY? You are saying a business degree where they have an average ACT of 29.5 (like CSOM) will not open any more doors than a business degree from Mankato where their average ACT is hovering around 22? Really? If you were a business, are you sure you are only concerned about hiring a MN farm boy?

There are literally hundreds of THOUSANDS of students that disagree with your opinion. Including the tens of thousands of foreign students that come to the States to study.

So according to you, it's all or none. So other than the Ivy's in some VERY VERY select industries, it's a complete tie. You say there is zero benifit to a name brand school. University of Phoenix==Berkley? This list of THE most selective universities (see http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...cceptance-rate ) is meaningless. The kids may be smarter, but you say "give me a farm boy". Too funny.
We can disagree. But your opinion is in the severe minority.

Quote:
..same with medical school--and--if you talk to any of the med school review board people,
You know what they call the bottom student in the worse medical program in the country? Doctor. If it is someones goal just to become a doctor then I suppose just look at the acceptance rates.

Quote:
Since you like to use CSB as example, for the past 5 years or so EVERY student that applied to med school from CSB got in, EVERY ONE.
The average ACT at the CBS is over 30. They are all sharp kids. I would expect pretty solid results. 100%???? I doubt that. Every kid at my sons school got into med school last year. A couple got into at Harvard and another at Johns Hopkins. But only 15 applied. Why? Because of the schools reputation. His school washes out 30% of their students because they cannot handle the stress. At CBS, I bet there are 100 people applying to med school. You say all 100 got in? I have my doubts because I've taken statistics.

Quote:
Same with every school our kids looked at except 2--they had 90% acceptance rates...but were "big name" schools. You are doing a lot of assuming based on hearsay...try looking up the actual facts.
Did you forget that you already said in another thread that your kids school had 100% acceptance rates? So was it 90% acceptance rate or 100%? Either one is a department statistical lie anyways.
Quote:
The only one of our friends' kids that didn't get a job right away after graduating, in their field, graduated from Purdue
So you found a lazy kid at Purdue. Or, maybe his communication skills sucked? Maybe his resume had typo's and his cover letter is ice-cold. Because he didn't get a job yet, did Purdue let him down?

Quote:
My spouse has hired 100's of people over the years. He will take a farm kid from rural MN/WI/SD, etc. over a Harvard grad ANY day....
Hundreds? Really? Not a hundred but "hundreds" (plural). Some people will only hire white people or males or.... Maybe a Harvard grad isn't interested in your Hubby's line of work?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-06-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As was just pointed out three posts earlier, a lot of students CHOOSE not to graduate from the CCs. In addition, one cannot graduate with a BA/BS from these schools, so if that's what they're measuring, they're out in left field. The bold is an erroneous conclusion.
No kidding one can't graduate with a BA/BS from a community college

WHY would they be measuring the unmeasurable???

If you bothered to read the article that the OP posted, the chart clearly states COMPLETION rate for open access colleges, which weren't all 2 year colleges by the way, they were 2 and 4 year colleges...

Therefore the bolded was NOT an erroneous conclusion....

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't....you just want to THINK it does....Sure, if you want to work for one of 5 firms in NYC, yes, you need to go to Harvard, but there are lawyers graduating from Law Schools from every UG in the country, same with medical school--and--if you talk to any of the med school review board people, they PREFER kids from smaller LAC because those kids got more hands on attending and more access to research. Since you like to use CSB as example, for the past 5 years or so EVERY student that applied to med school from CSB got in, EVERY ONE. Same with every school our kids looked at except 2--they had 90% acceptance rates...but were "big name" schools. You are doing a lot of assuming based on hearsay...try looking up the actual facts.

The only one of our friends' kids that didn't get a job right away after graduating, in their field, graduated from Purdue

My spouse has hired 100's of people over the years. He will take a farm kid from rural MN/WI/SD, etc. over a Harvard grad ANY day....
He must own a farm......

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So you are saying there is no benefit with a degree at Berkeley versus some obscure college? REALLY? You are saying a business degree where they have an average ACT of 29.5 (like CSOM) will not open any more doors than a business degree from Mankato where their average ACT is hovering around 22? Really? If you were a business, are you sure you are only concerned about hiring a MN farm boy?

There are literally hundreds of THOUSANDS of students that disagree with your opinion. Including the tens of thousands of foreign students that come to the States to study.

So according to you, it's all or none. So other than the Ivy's in some VERY VERY select industries, it's a complete tie. You say there is zero benifit to a name brand school. University of Phoenix==Berkley? This list of THE most selective universities (see Top 100 - Lowest Acceptance Rates | Rankings | US News ) is meaningless. The kids may be smarter, but you say "give me a farm boy". Too funny.
We can disagree. But your opinion is in the severe minority.

You know what they call the bottom student in the worse medical program in the country? Doctor. If it is someones goal just to become a doctor then I suppose just look at the acceptance rates.

The average ACT at the CBS is over 30. They are all sharp kids. I would expect pretty solid results. 100%???? I doubt that. Every kid at my sons school got into med school last year. A couple got into at Harvard and another at Johns Hopkins. But only 15 applied. Why? Because of the schools reputation. His school washes out 30% of their students because they cannot handle the stress. At CBS, I bet there are 100 people applying to med school. You say all 100 got in? I have my doubts because I've taken statistics.

Did you forget that you already said in another thread that your kids school had 100% acceptance rates? So was it 90% acceptance rate or 100%? Either one is a department statistical lie anyways.

So you found a lazy kid at Purdue. Or, maybe his communication skills sucked? Maybe his resume had typo's and his cover letter is ice-cold. Because he didn't get a job yet, did Purdue let him down?

Hundreds? Really? Not a hundred but "hundreds" (plural). Some people will only hire white people or males or.... Maybe a Harvard grad isn't interested in your Hubby's line of work?
Salary data agreed with you

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No kidding one can't graduate with a BA/BS from a community college

WHY would they be measuring the unmeasurable???

If you bothered to read the article that the OP posted, the chart clearly states COMPLETION rate for open access colleges, which weren't all 2 year colleges by the way, they were 2 and 4 year colleges...

Therefore the bolded was NOT an erroneous conclusion....
Many CCs offer limited 4 year degrees.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't....you just want to THINK it does....Sure, if you want to work for one of 5 firms in NYC, yes, you need to go to Harvard, but there are lawyers graduating from Law Schools from every UG in the country, same with medical school--and--if you talk to any of the med school review board people, they PREFER kids from smaller LAC because those kids got more hands on attending and more access to research. Since you like to use CSB as example, for the past 5 years or so EVERY student that applied to med school from CSB got in, EVERY ONE. Same with every school our kids looked at except 2--they had 90% acceptance rates...but were "big name" schools. You are doing a lot of assuming based on hearsay...try looking up the actual facts.

Well, if I've learned anything in my illustrious (ha!) nursing career, it's that you can't do anything about the prejudices of the hiring manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Harvey Mudd is a top engineering school in southern California, but the name is unknown outside of the west coast.
Already responded to, but I'll add my 2c. It's certainly "known" here in CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is just from my personal experience, which cannot be taken as a whole.

But nobody I know who graduated from MIT undergrad engineering ever went into engineering. They went into banking, consulting, medical/dental school, etc.

The pay ceiling was just too low.
My experience differs. I know several MIT grads who are working in engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Many CCs offer limited 4 year degrees.
Examples? Metro State College of Denver has an RN to BSN completion program on the Front Range Community College campus. However, the degree is from Metro, which is a four year institution.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Examples? Metro State College of Denver has an RN to BSN completion program on the Front Range Community College campus. However, the degree is from Metro, which is a four year institution.
Miami Dade College, Palm Beach College and Broward College, all in south Florida offer limited four year degrees. Most of the offerings at these schools are AA/AS or certificate but they all offer limited numbers of 4 year degrees mostly in nursing and education. Florida has a poor system of K-12 but the college/university system is pretty good.

I am pretty sure that the majority of CC in Florida offer limited 4 year degrees. However, most students either get an AA/AS/Certificate or transfer to the state Us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities