Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in a dilemma and I need to get some advice.

I'm a teacher in a small town. One of my seniors is getting ready to head to college for the first time this fall semester. He will be the first in his family to attempt college. I helped him with his FAFSA earlier in the spring; then, on July 24, I helped him complete the process for his student loan (all this was done with parent approval, of course).

Here is the problem. The school has not received the money yet from the student loan, and they want their money now. He got dropped two days ago because of the non-payment, called me in a panic, and after calling his advisor today, he was re-enrolled. But he was told that if he doesn't sign up for a payment plan through the school by the end of the day, he'd be dropped again. If he's dropped, then the federal student loan would probably not go through because he'd have no expenses this fall.

Adding to the problem, his folks say that they don't have the money to make the first $388 payment. He either finds a way to fork over the cash, or he waits until the spring after he's saved up enough money. He does not have the money yet.

I really want to see this kid succeed. Am I crazy, helpful, doing the right thing by even thinking about helping him out and making his first payment for him? My thinking is, when the loan finally does go through in a couple weeks and he gets his disbursement check, he will be able to pay me back, and everyone will be happy. However, I need to talk to his folks first before going ahead with this. What would you do in this situation? I really need advice, because I'm completely torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Something is getting missed between the college and the Fed Loan. I'm really surprised that they are dropping him when fed loan money is coming--which usually isn't applied until Sept or so anyway. I would call them back and find out why they need the money now when he has fed loans coming. I would also check with the fed loan people to make sure they got everything they need. Did he do the online counseling, fill out the Master Promissory note, etc?

Last edited by golfgal; 08-08-2013 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Hello, I'm in a dilemma and I need to get some advice.

I'm a teacher in a small town. One of my seniors is getting ready to head to college for the first time this fall semester. He will be the first in his family to attempt college. I helped him with his FAFSA earlier in the spring; then, on July 24, I helped him complete the process for his student loan (all this was done with parent approval, of course).

Here is the problem. The school has not received the money yet from the student loan, and they want their money now. He got dropped two days ago because of the non-payment, called me in a panic, and after calling his advisor today, he was re-enrolled. But he was told that if he doesn't sign up for a payment plan through the school by the end of the day, he'd be dropped again. If he's dropped, then the federal student loan would probably not go through because he'd have no expenses this fall.

Adding to the problem, his folks say that they don't have the money to make the first $388 payment. He either finds a way to fork over the cash, or he waits until the spring after he's saved up enough money. He does not have the money yet.

I really want to see this kid succeed. Am I crazy, helpful, doing the right thing by even thinking about helping him out and making his first payment for him? My thinking is, when the loan finally does go through in a couple weeks and he gets his disbursement check, he will be able to pay me back, and everyone will be happy. However, I need to talk to his folks first before going ahead with this. What would you do in this situation? I really need advice, because I'm completely torn.
I might do it, knowing there is a chance I wouldn't get paid back. However, I'd first call the school directly and see what's going on. That isn't a normal situation - I financed school with loans, and never had a school drop me because the loan hadn't come in. The school didn't need to do that because they actually got the loan before I did, took their cut, and then gave me back the difference. So I can't understand why this school is doing that. I would want to talk to them myself. Also, most schools I've been to have a loan program for small amounts of money. So I might do it, but first I'd call the school and find out what's going on.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Spring will arrive very soon. He can wait.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I agree with golfgal. Something is missing.

Last year when we got our bill the stafford loans were not showing up. My son had not completed the online counseling part that they must do. It's a quick thing. As soon as he did, the loans showed up.

Not only that, but the school should be able to see that the loans are there but just not dispersed yet. At our son's school they are not applied to the bill until 6 days before classes start.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

259 posts, read 368,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I might do it, knowing there is a chance I wouldn't get paid back. However, I'd first call the school directly and see what's going on.
I believe the student would have to authorize the school to release any information about the student's financial situation to the OP due to FERPA.

Can you risk losing the money? Otherwise, I'd lean toward not loaning the money.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post

Something isn't passing the sniff test regarding financial aid/bursar. There is ALWAYS churn with students not getting student loan payments when expected-is this a credible school?

Loan it only if you can afford to lose it and it makes you feel good.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I might do it, knowing there is a chance I wouldn't get paid back. However, I'd first call the school directly and see what's going on. That isn't a normal situation - I financed school with loans, and never had a school drop me because the loan hadn't come in. The school didn't need to do that because they actually got the loan before I did, took their cut, and then gave me back the difference. So I can't understand why this school is doing that. I would want to talk to them myself. Also, most schools I've been to have a loan program for small amounts of money. So I might do it, but first I'd call the school and find out what's going on.
Since the school can't talk with you directly have the student call and then hand the phone to you.

However, it does seem odd. There was a mix-up once with my daughter's loan and it didn't clear until about the sixth week of classes. The University wasn't hounding her at all for the money. She attended classes as if everything was paid. Her books were also paid for "on credit".

I'm betting that one of the forms or a signature was overlooked.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:07 PM

219 posts, read 430,911 times
Do not make the first payment. The fact that they want to drop him without it suggest their financial aid office has no record of him being eligible for loans, which means you will never get your money back.

You helped him with the FAFSA and loan process but did he follow through with the entrance counseling and did he receive anything back from anyone suggesting he was eligible for aid? He should have received something back from the school's financial aid office. As others stated, something is not adding up, on several levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities