Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,970,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Yes, it can be done no problem. I went to school full-time (12 credits minimum. Usually more like 15-16), worked part-time 15-25 hours/wk, participated in school groups like band and student council, and still had time for a social life. Burnout? Guess it depends on the personality. I'd burn the midnight oil from time to time, but I never found any of it overly taxing. This was at a school that worked on the quarter system (arguably much faster-paced than the semester system) where I studied for a BS in Manufacturing Engineering.

Mike
How many hours did you spend doing academic research? How many papers did you get published?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,107,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How many hours did you spend doing academic research? How many papers did you get published?
I have a BS, not a Master's or Doctorate. It's my experience BS engineering degrees don't lead to being published. If by 'academic research' you mean studying, I'd say I averaged roughly 2 hours per school day doing homework and studying for exams, more at midterms and finals.

Mike

Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,967,822 times
I believe it is possible.

Not only do I believe it is possible, I believe it's easy. I believe that somebody could work FT, commute to school, go to school FT (12 credits), study maybe 5-10 hours a week, raise kids, AND do pretty well in class at certain universities for certain majors.

I know because I have seen it.

And at the end of the day, those people will have a degree that is close in value to the person who busted their a@@ 4 years FT to get at a more traditional U.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I believe it is possible.

Not only do I believe it is possible, I believe that somebody could work FT, commute to school, go to school FT (12 credits), study maybe 5-10 hours a week, AND do pretty well in class at certain universities for certain majors.

I know because I have seen it.

And at the end of the day, those people will have a degree that is close in value to the person who busted their a@@ 4 years FT to get at a more traditional U.
They probably have a degree just as valuable but not an education as valuable. People who work FT don't have enough time to participate in research, study and academic writing outside of the classroom. Leaving them with an extremely weak education.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,967,822 times
Quote:
They probably have a degree just as valuable but not an education as valuable. People who work FT don't have enough time to participate in research, study and academic writing outside of the classroom. Leaving them with an extremely weak education.
That's of little consequence since most of what people learn in the classroom will have no application their career or daily lives.

What is of major consequence is that it took them <10% of the time and effort it took another person to complete the same degree major as applicable for a job qualification. That especially rings true if you overlook college reputation and GPA ... as so many on this forum seem to think are absolutely meaningless measures of competency.

At least for my major, it's nearly impossible to complete online, and very difficult to complete at night (only one school offers it completely online, thank ABET for that). But you better believe that's changing...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
That's of little consequence since most of what people learn in the classroom will have no application their career or daily lives.
Classroom learning is only about 20% of a college education and is only intended to provide the groundwork for the learning you do outside of the classroom. It's that remaining 80% that determines how competent one is in their field. That's why GPA at the college level is not telling of how adequately educated one is. It only measures class performance. Not college performance. There's plenty of students who graduate with decent GPAs (3.6+) and can't present a stance between 2-3 opposing academic papers in their own field.
Quote:

What is of major consequence is that it took them <10% of the time and effort it took another person to complete the same degree major as applicable for a job qualification. That especially rings true if you overlook college reputation and GPA ... as so many on this forum seem to think are absolutely meaningless measures of competency.
Well, some go to college for a piece of paper. Others go for an education.
Quote:

At least for my major, it's nearly impossible to complete online, and very difficult to complete at night (only one school offers it completely online, thank ABET for that). But you better believe that's changing...
It's nearly impossibly to get a college education in any field completely online. However, a college degree can easily be obtained online in many fields... however crappy it may be... some people still view it as that piece of paper they were aiming for.

You seem to be quite obsessed with college being for job preparation. College is about learning.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,476,977 times
Working 10 hours on campus a week would be the best plan. Try and find a job that could be related to your major. It could lead to some connections.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Working 10 hours on campus a week would be the best plan. Try and find a job that could be related to your major. It could lead to some connections.
I think I mentioned this in another thread. The best job during college is one where you get paid to do research in your field. There's plenty that are supported by research grants. You're getting an education while being paid for it.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,107,576 times
Quote:
You seem to be quite obsessed with college being for job preparation. College is about learning.
.....learning which is used to GET A JOB! I can't speak for anyone else, but that was my endgame. Go to school, learn some stuff, get the paper that gets me a career I like and that pays well, and live accordingly. So far, zero complaints

Mike

Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM

37,031 posts, read 41,937,009 times
It all depends on what your course of study is and what job you have. This is not a situation where all things are created equal. Unfortunately there are not enough "just tell us when you can work" jobs for everyone who would like one. Some can swing that, others get stuck with schedules that don't mesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities