Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
I didn't think most colleges allowed D's within the major. I was always led to believe you need a minimum of C or you needed to repeat it.
"D" stands for diploma. If you pass, you pass. No one cares about your GPA once you get your diploma. They are all equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,707,618 times
Most colleges require a 2.0 GPA to maintain good standing and graduate. It depends on the college though. Some colleges require even hire GPA for certain majors or core classes.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,237 times
Recommendations from instructors are often very important in getting a job. I have recruiters call me several times a week asking for names and recommendations. With a few notable exceptions, I typically recommend A and B students, and nearly all 'A' students in my department go on to professional/graduate school or have a job lined up after graduation. A good percentage of the 'B' students have jobs lined up, but the 'C' students are in a tough spot and the 'D' students do not graduate at my institution.

It is true that employers don't care about GPA once you have some professional experience, but GPA is critical in landing a first job as well as qualifying for graduate/professional level programs.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM

83 posts, read 194,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Most colleges require a 2.0 GPA to maintain good standing and graduate. It depends on the college though. Some colleges require even hire GPA for certain majors or core classes.
It should be raised to a 3.0 minimum in my opinion.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
"D" stands for diploma. If you pass, you pass. No one cares about your GPA once you get your diploma. They are all equal.
What terrible advice. With the crazy competitive job market these days GPA absolutely matters more than ever. Maybe years down the road it won't matter, but getting that first job could rely heavily on your GPA. Who wants to hire the bottom of the class or someone who was looking for Cs and Ds because they were more efficient?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
If people with Down Syndrome can graduate from college... Allowing someone with below a 2.0 (heck, even below a 2.5) to graduate just decreases the value of having a college degree and makes possession of a college degree look like a joke.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
What terrible advice. With the crazy competitive job market these days GPA absolutely matters more than ever. Maybe years down the road it won't matter, but getting that first job could rely heavily on your GPA. Who wants to hire the bottom of the class or someone who was looking for Cs and Ds because they were more efficient?
I've actually NEVER been asked about my GPA on a job interview

However, since my college grades were very good then I wish they did.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I've actually NEVER been asked about my GPA on a job interview

However, since my college grades were very good then I wish they did.
If you had to submit your transcript at some point then you were asked about your grades, just not outright.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningferron View Post
So my best friend was never much of a braniac but did enough to get by. Excited that he will be graduating college next semester but he told me he had a GPA of 2.2 and as he showed me his grades he had 5 D's, 1 C, 1 B and 1 A in his major which equaled to about a 1.6 GPA within his major but his cumulative GPA was a 2.2 because he did fairly well in his minor. I never thought of it like that before but I checked his school guidelines and it said Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above is required to graduate. He will meet with his advisor tomorrow to discuss. Do you think he will graduate?
Most universities require at least a "C" grade in major courses and a 2.0 overall GPA to graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities