Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 11,381 times

Advertisements

I am currently in grad school full time and working full time with no online classes. I work from 7-4 and am in class from 530-830 Mon Tues and Wed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 PM

14,786 posts, read 8,126,158 times
Yes, night school.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
This is an old thread that's been revived, but my experience was that in many cases back then, you didn't go to school while working. Besides all the issues with time and schedules, there were, and still are, many places where there just aren't any courses at all, or if there are, they are pretty basic general studies courses. That is why so many of the for profit schools popped up -- there was a market for courses offered on a working schedule. Unfortunately the poor quality of many of the for profit schools really set back acceptance of on line courses by years. It wasn't the on line medium, but the poor quality of the schools engaged in it. Now that legit schools are developing on line programs, the quality is as good or better than in class instruction.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:39 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist3616 View Post
I am currently in grad school full time and working full time with no online classes. I work from 7-4 and am in class from 530-830 Mon Tues and Wed.
This. This is how they did it, OP, and still do it.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We took classes at night and on weekends. It could be a slow process. I did my graduate work in one full year that way and it was not easy working a full-time job and keeping a home. If one is lucky, it becomes a family affair because everyone needs to pitch in.
This. I worked as a teacher by day, student at night for 3 years in order to get the classes I needed in order to change careers. Many teachers used their summer "vacations" to complete their Masters degrees in order to get their MS (required in NYS to get permanent certification). My brother did nights and weekends to get his MBA.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is an old thread that's been revived, but my experience was that in many cases back then, you didn't go to school while working. Besides all the issues with time and schedules, there were, and still are, many places where there just aren't any courses at all, or if there are, they are pretty basic general studies courses. That is why so many of the for profit schools popped up -- there was a market for courses offered on a working schedule. Unfortunately the poor quality of many of the for profit schools really set back acceptance of on line courses by years. It wasn't the on line medium, but the poor quality of the schools engaged in it. Now that legit schools are developing on line programs, the quality is as good or better than in class instruction.
That's untrue. In the 1980s and 1990s, most public colleges/universities had expansive night school programs. There were also a few remote learning programs, such as New York's Empire State College, where students earned credits through independent credit or took classes by mail. Some students earned college credits through taking CLEP exams, too.

As for for-profits, they have been around probably a hundred or a hundred fifty years. In the 19th century, they were a way for well educated "spinsters" or widows to make a living. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, they didn't compete with colleges but were more like trade schools for business skills like typing or bookkeeping. After WW II, the for-profits continued with the trade school aspect, teaching more blue collar skills like tv or small engine repair, truck driving (CDL) or hair dressing. These weren't "diploma mills" but legitimate schools that provided training people needed.

The "boom" in for-profit trade schools came in the 1980s when the federal government started allowing their students to get federal student aid, primarily loans. That's when the diploma mills sprouted like dandelions, bilking students and saddling them with debt.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:23 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,755 times
Back then, it was definitely nights and/or weekends. MBA candidates do this now since there isn't an online option for them at my school currently.

All of the classes in my grad program are only offered in the evenings during the week. The majority of the classes can also be taken online. The classroom session is basically recorded and available an hour after class ends. Even as an in-class student, I can watch the recorded class session any time throughout the quarter. It's a huge bonus. So far, in each of my classes there has been decent percentage of full-time workers who are in-class students, with my Management class (due to it belonging to the MBA track) having roughly 80-85% full-time workers.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's untrue. In the 1980s and 1990s, most public colleges/universities had expansive night school programs. There were also a few remote learning programs, such as New York's Empire State College, where students earned credits through independent credit or took classes by mail. Some students earned college credits through taking CLEP exams, too.
No, most did not. Yes there were some programs, but they were far from routinely available. Most of what was available in many areas (and even still today) were the basic gen ed type courses. When you get outside the major cities, choices drop very quickly. The colleges simply weren't set up and didn't really care about adult learners, so courses were offered to suit traditional students in a take it or leave it manner. If I wanted to repeat English 101 for example, there might be a CC nearby that offered night classes. But if I needed Jackson E&M, forget it, They had no clue what E&M or Jackson was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

As for for-profits, they have been around probably a hundred or a hundred fifty years. In the 19th century, they were a way for well educated "spinsters" or widows to make a living. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, they didn't compete with colleges but were more like trade schools for business skills like typing or bookkeeping. After WW II, the for-profits continued with the trade school aspect, teaching more blue collar skills like tv or small engine repair, truck driving (CDL) or hair dressing. These weren't "diploma mills" but legitimate schools that provided training people needed.

The "boom" in for-profit trade schools came in the 1980s when the federal government started allowing their students to get federal student aid, primarily loans. That's when the diploma mills sprouted like dandelions, bilking students and saddling them with debt.
I agree for the most part about trade schools, such as HVAC, welding, etc. But mostly we're speaking here of the for profits like UoP. Schools that promise an easy bachelors or masters in just a few hours a week, providing minimal education for maximum dollars. Yes, they got Federal dollars, but they did it by marketing to those who couldn't attend regular day time classes.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,606 posts, read 81,297,702 times
My first year as a freshman in college (1970) I went two days a week, 7am-10pm. There have always been classes early or late in the day, and ways to arrange them while working. I worked full time and overtime during college and graduate school, managing the whole time without any student loan debt by simply sacrificing some of the social life that seems so important to many people.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. This is how they did it, OP, and still do it.
Yep.

My graduate program is designed for adults already working in the field, and is entirely evening classes. They begin at 6 p.m. and end at 9 p.m., except in the summer term, which is truncated, where they run 6-10 p.m.

No online/distance classes, although all classes have online participation components, usually in the form of required participation in discussion forums based around additional reading assignments than what gets discussed in class. All classes do meet in person, it's not an online program. There are occasionally weekend classes offered, but they are predominantly weeknights.

Not a for-profit, a private liberal arts university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities