Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:08 AM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times

Advertisements

Yep... I know lots of people who sacrificed and went to school on nights and weekends.

Very very common, especially for teachers (and others who need continuing education credits) and everyone who worked on masters degrees that were paid for by their employer.

For the most part, it still is that way, with in person classes being preferred over online.
And this is at public and private colleges/universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
I went part time to grad school nights and weekends in the early 80's, that option was available. I helped put myself through undergrad, back in the day when college was for the select few and you were expected to bend to their schedule along with figure out how to finance it on your own if your family couldn't pay, by going to school during the day and working fulltime the nightshift. When I was doing student teaching this meant in reality I had two fulltime jobs, just not two fulltime pay checks. It was not easy, it took a lot of grit and determination. When I look back on that time I am proud of what I accomplished, more so than later degrees, which while considered more prestigious, took a lot less sacrifice on my part. By the way, that is what the college degree used to represent, a person who practiced deferred gratification, including a willingness to put in whatever work was necessary and make the sacrifices needed to achieve their goals. That is why employers sought college graduates, for the type of person they were, not for the actual degree. Nowadays a college education is considered a right, not a privledge.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-04-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Even though I didn't live near the two colleges I went to, I worked very near one of them and fairly near the other. I also had a full time job that allowed me to work, for example, a 7:00A - 3:30P schedule so I could get to my night classes on time. I was married at the time but I didn't have kids. I went to a community college for two years then transferred to a 4 year state university with a great math/science reputation for my BA. I wasn't going to college for a new career but the only way to get higher paying jobs with my employer was to get the degree. I had a job offer (same employer - different location) before I graduated and moved to a new state for the new job on the day of the graduation ceremony...which I missed. I paid my own way through college and had no debt when I graduated. I am now retired with a good pension.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I hear alot of working adults especially ones who have kids, say that the only way they can go back to school is by doing online classes . I just wonder how, in the 90s and before (when online classes weren't an option), did people who have children or even adults who didnt have children but had to still hold down a full time job find a way to go back to school so that they could change careers and/or better their life if they werent making enough money...
I did not read this thread, so perhaps this has already been mentioned: the concept of "night school" for working adults dates back to the early 1900s as far as I know and typically revolved around professional degrees (law, healthcare, and so on).

So to answer your question: they took evening and/or weekend classes.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Still do.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,738 times
Im doing it right now. Getting my Masters in Accounting 4 nights a week after work. Wife and a baby at home. Its rough but at least I have 5 classes left. The only reason I could think of someone saying "I can only do it now that its online" is because A. They dont have a University in town like I do or B. Theyre a single parent.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:13 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,110,249 times
An eight hour job at night would definitely make daytime college classes an easy thing to deal with.

I imagine that's how they always did it.
Get as much as you can done in your off-time and sleep sparingly.

Just imagine all the things we could get done if we could eliminate the sudden urge to "nod off".

Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,948,684 times
Nights, 2 or 3 nights a week after working a full day. When I did my student teaching (while getting my Master's degree) I worked nights and weekends after teaching all day. Summers were 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Exhausting but worth it. Took me 2-1/2 years from start to finish, including the student teaching.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I hear alot of working adults especially ones who have kids, say that the only way they can go back to school is by doing online classes . I just wonder how, in the 90s and before (when online classes weren't an option), did people who have children or even adults who didnt have children but had to still hold down a full time job find a way to go back to school so that they could change careers and/or better their life if they werent making enough money...

They did it. Many women who were late baby boomers - the first to go to college en mass, left a year or two before graduating, then completed locally. Sometimes they took one or two classes at a time and went straight through the summer.

Obviously, some men did that also.

It was no different than having children and a part time job. For men, they replaced getting their degree with social activities.

You just sucked it up and sat in classes with people ten years older than you were.

And people still do it. They prefer the class room setting and the name of a college where they can network, do internships etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities