Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colleges should eliminate most General Education requirements so the students can concentrate on the
Yes 5 11.63%
No 34 79.07%
Maybe cut down the Liberal Arts General Education requirements to just a few classes 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,985 times

Advertisements

Being well rounded is the stupidest argument. That is a terrible argument because being well rounded is the same as being well useless. If it has nothing to do with my future career it is useless for me to know. And if for some reason it becomes important for me to know, I have google. Everyone has cell phones to be able to access the internet basically anywhere. We have all the answers to so many things at the tips of our fingers. Another reason why it is useless is because most of the things we learn in these classes are forgotten right after anyway. We are human, not computers that can record and remember everything that is thrown at us. That is why the useless information is not needed, because like I said earlier we have the internet and we will probably forget it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
How else would you test someone who learned financial accounting on the job? Would you want them to publish a paper for an introductory course? CLEP only offers introductory tests. Why just focus on CLEPs? Anyone can take an AP exam which is made by the same company.
It's not that the tests don't cover the textbook material. It's that the tests allow students to sidestep getting a college education. Students enrolled in a good program are doing a lot more than going to classes and taking exams. The way these tests are set up, they don't allow for that.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesup View Post
Being well rounded is the stupidest argument. That is a terrible argument because being well rounded is the same as being well useless. If it has nothing to do with my future career it is useless for me to know. And if for some reason it becomes important for me to know, I have google. Everyone has cell phones to be able to access the internet basically anywhere. We have all the answers to so many things at the tips of our fingers. Another reason why it is useless is because most of the things we learn in these classes are forgotten right after anyway. We are human, not computers that can record and remember everything that is thrown at us. That is why the useless information is not needed, because like I said earlier we have the internet and we will probably forget it anyway.
It's not about being well-rounded in knowledge. It's about being well-rounded in how to FIND knowledge. When you're applying your college education in the field, Google, alone, isn't going to give you what you need. Those classes aren't to teach you the hard knowledge. It's to solidify the process of learning that knowledge. When you're writing a paper or presenting at a conference, you're going to need to do quite a bit of research. That is where these learning skills come into play. The first 4 years of college is about mastering how to learn the various kinds of arts and sciences.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,861,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
All schools do is push the Prussian system of memorization. (mostly outdated information) Not free thinking or anything else.
Free thinking is mostly in humanities courses

Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
All schools do is push the Prussian system of memorization. (mostly outdated information) Not free thinking or anything else.
Perhaps that's indicative of the quality of school you went to.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM

102,409 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesup View Post
Yup. Because we sure don't need informed, educated voters. We just need people prone to fanaticism to contribute to the current polarization and extremism. That's truly in the nation's best interests.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM

102,409 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know, I didn't go to school in Germany. My professors encouraged me when I came up with alternative theories, and urged me to research my perspective and write on it.

Still, there are certain basic things that need to be learned, and aren't debatable, because they've been long ago proven and confirmed by a lot of research.

Is this a Creationist rant in disguise, by any chance? Somehow, it has the hallmarks.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM

146 posts, read 243,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No. For those who want shorter length, career-related training, there are vocational programs, career colleges, technical institutes, etc.
Technical colleges aren't realistic for a lot of majors. I think they should just cut down on a lot of the unnecessary gen ed courses while keeping others.

Ex. writing/english 101-103 should be necessary for all majors because its what most people use. Mathematics courses should be dependent on your major. Biology courses though, most people never need to take and they're just a waste of time and effort unless your in a science based major. What good is biology for a accounting major?

Instead of doing 60 credits of gen ed courses, they could cut it down to like 21 credits and use the rest on some kind of professional certification built into the degree. Accounting=CPA, Finance=CFA/CFP/CFE, Business=Six Sigma, Political Science=multiple internships, Criminal Justice=police/EMT/Firefighter certification, Spanish=translator training, etc. Kind of like how ROTC training helps transition students from college to the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You didn't list any vocational schools. Devry and ITT Tech are accredited. As a matter of fact, Devry is regionally accredited. It holds the same institutional accreditation as the top schools in its region. If there are any issues, it will be with reputation of quality. Vocational schools offer specific job training. Community colleges offer a lot of liberal arts programs and plain general education programs that are meant for transferring. Devry University has a liberal arts college and it offers master's degrees. How is that a vocational school?

I don't even see that Devry even offers a computer science degree, but all of its degree programs have your standard general education requirements. That is not vocational training. I don't see that ITT Tech offers a computer science degree either, but it is also not a vocational school. Do community colleges and for profits offer vocational programs? Yes, but that doesn't automatically make them vocational schools; and, a BS in Computer Science will never be a vocational program. A vocational program for information technology would be more like a certificate or AAS in networking.
This is REAL bad advice. I haven't yet met someone who attended ITT Tech or Devry who said their courses transferred to a real school or were recognized by an organization they were trying to get hired at. You're better off going to a community college and getting an AA in a computer field from there and you'll likely spend less money too.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,615,472 times
I don't that all general ed courses should be eliminated, however I see no problem in trimming or streamlining the gen ed requirements. Of course it is a whole issue when we get to "what needs to be trimmed" .

Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,421,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I don't that all general ed courses should be eliminated, however I see no problem in trimming or streamlining the gen ed requirements. Of course it is a whole issue when we get to "what needs to be trimmed" .
Agreed. Some things like math and English are going to be applicable in any field.

The history of cheese tasting is not. I am in favor of streamlining as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities