Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colleges should eliminate most General Education requirements so the students can concentrate on the
Yes 5 11.63%
No 34 79.07%
Maybe cut down the Liberal Arts General Education requirements to just a few classes 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,240,294 times

Advertisements

I actually liked my general ed and humanities classes. Accounting can get dry and tedious, so I welcomed having some sort of creative outlet to switch things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOG View Post
This is REAL bad advice. I haven't yet met someone who attended ITT Tech or Devry who said their courses transferred to a real school or were recognized by an organization they were trying to get hired at. You're better off going to a community college and getting an AA in a computer field from there and you'll likely spend less money too.
What advice did I offer? I wasn't offering advice; I was offering information. I was clearing up misconceptions. Just because you brought it up, it is difficult to transfer credits from ITT Tech because they are nationally accredited. They aren't impossible to transfer, but your options will be very limited. However, Devry's credits are not that difficult to transfer because they are regionally accredited. You may not know anyone who was able to transfer these credits because your experience is very limited. I have been around a lot of people who have attended non-traditional schools. If Florida State University and Arizona State University (I talked to them directly) accept credits from the American Public University System (a regionally accredited for-profit college with no campuses), then I'm sure they will accept credits from Devry. I even confirmed with University of Florida that they accept credits from University of Phoenix, and that school has a worse reputation than Devry.

As a matter of fact, you can search Texas A&M's transfer equivalency database and see courses that they've actually accepted from Devry and University of Phoenix. There is no need to go off of people's misinformation and very limited, anecdotal experiences. For search purposes, University of Phoenix is based in Arizona; Devry is based in Illinois.
https://compass-ssb.tamu.edu/pls/PRO...TransEquivMain

If you bothered to read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I did not advise anyone to attend these schools or say that they are a good option. There are many cheaper alternatives.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:38 AM

I conducted a Google search for schools that have an online transfer equivalency tool. I've found that Devry University or Devry Institute of Technology (former name) credits have been accepted by Texas State University, Texas Tech University, University of Alabama, Ferris State University, Wayne State University, University of Minnesota's College of Science and Engineering, Sam Houston State University (Devry Arlington campus), Michigan State University, University of Michigan-Flint, and University of Nevada.

https://tim.txstate.edu/transferguide/Home.aspx
College Transfer Simplified
https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype
https://banner.ferris.edu:9100/pls/G...quiv.P_TCEMain
Transfer Credit
US Course Equivalency Guides : College of Science & Engineering : University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
https://ww2.shsu.edu/regr27wp/
Transfer MSU: Transfer Credit at MSU
https://sis.umflint.edu/prod/zwskxfer.find_state
http://tes.collegesource.com/view/TES_view01.asp?rid={BD475787-3B1D-4A52-B61B-E454C36DF6CD}&aid={5A4EB770-8240-435B-B867-8595F430D8C9}

If you want to find out what some Devry alumni are doing, all you have to do is go through the profiles of the members of the Devry University alumni group. I just went through a few in my network. Some landed professional jobs at NextGen, Monsanto, and Randstad after graduating from Devry. However, I have said many times that schools like Devry are too expensive for their reputation and would not recommend them to most people.

Last edited by L210; 12-10-2014 at 02:00 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM

146 posts, read 241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you want to find out what some Devry alumni are doing, all you have to do is go through the profiles of the members of the Devry University alumni group. I just went through a few in my network. Some landed professional jobs at NextGen, Monsanto, and Randstad after graduating from Devry. However, I have said many times that schools like Devry are too expensive for their reputation and would not recommend them to most people.
They shouldn't be recommended to anyone. If you're saying "they aren't impossible to transfer, but your options will be very limited, then its not even worth taking the risk to go to them. Also, how are you going to say my experience with it is limited, but in the same paragraph then say "I'm sure they will accept credits from Devry?" You don't even know yourself.

For profits shouldn't even be brought because its solely how they get students, not based off rankings or programs. For the price of them, you're better off going to a community college, saving half your money, and putting in some real work.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOG View Post
They shouldn't be recommended to anyone. If you're saying "they aren't impossible to transfer, but your options will be very limited, then its not even worth taking the risk to go to them. Also, how are you going to say my experience with it is limited, but in the same paragraph then say "I'm sure they will accept credits from Devry?" You don't even know yourself.
Most colleges and universities only care about accreditation. After that, the contents of the transfer courses need to match an equivalent course at the receiving school. Then, the course needs to fit into your degree program. When I contacted the top public universities last year about whether or not they will accept online courses and credits from University of Phoenix, almost all of them said that credits from regionally accredited schools are generally accepted. A few of them specifically said that they accept credits from University of Phoenix. I think I've shown more than enough proof that Devry credits have been accepted by "real colleges."

There are situations where a school like Devry might be the only option. I used to teach at a nationally accredited school. The only colleges in the area that would accept their credits were University of Phoenix and Devry. Since many of my students were not comfortable with online programs, those two schools were their only options for not losing their credits and obtaining a regionally accredited degree. In law enforcement, where most of them wanted to work, a school's prestige is not important. However, the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and some police departments only recognize degrees from regionally accredited schools. UoP and Devry, while very expensive, fit their needs. Their associate's degrees would not have been recognized by the two largest local police departments in the area for preference points and educational incentive pay because they came from a nationally accredited school. Some of them wanted to work for the Texas Department of Public Safety, but they require 60 credits from a regionally accredited college. It would have been nice if they could have gone back in time to choose another school, but the time machine hasn't been invented yet.

Last edited by L210; 12-10-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 12:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Most of these classes have nothing to do with that persons life, it's a ploy on the public to make us think we need it. The government makes money on each class you take, if you take out loans, so it makes sense for them to make you take chemistry or anthropology which you will never use again (at least in the depth that the professor teaches). College is a scam and most of us have fallen for it.
Unfortunately for your conspiracy theory, it doesn't... you know... make any sense.

Hint - there are hundreds of private (ie, not run by the government) colleges graduating hundreds of thousands of students each year, graduates who mostly go on to work for private (ie, not run by the government) businesses - who expect rounded degrees from accredited colleges/universities (and the accreditation agencies are private - ie, not run by the government - organizations), not merely trade-school experience, from their prospective employees.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not about being well-rounded in knowledge. It's about being well-rounded in how to FIND knowledge. When you're applying your college education in the field, Google, alone, isn't going to give you what you need. Those classes aren't to teach you the hard knowledge. It's to solidify the process of learning that knowledge. When you're writing a paper or presenting at a conference, you're going to need to do quite a bit of research. That is where these learning skills come into play. The first 4 years of college is about mastering how to learn the various kinds of arts and sciences.
Oh please, that is so stupid. We do that in high school. What I am trying to say is that there is no need for example for me to take an astronomy class if I'm going into business. It's just stupid and it wastes my time and money.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
It would be expedient, cheaper and turn out a fine group of worker bees, I suppose. But I believe they would make rather dull conversationalists. Maybe that's the idea? Just get them focused right in on their life's work from day one ala Brave New World.

Who needs culture or good interactive skills, right?

Truth is, much could be eliminated in the college curriculum right now if we didn't spend so much time teaching the lower grades things they should have learned at home.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesup View Post
Oh please, that is so stupid. We do that in high school. What I am trying to say is that there is no need for example for me to take an astronomy class if I'm going into business. It's just stupid and it wastes my time and money.
Your ignorance on the subject matter doesn't make it stupid. If you're going into business, don't enroll yourself into an academic program. You're just wasting your money and wasting money is stupid on your part.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
Yes, but also make it tougher to get in, better basic skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities