Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times

Advertisements

Looking back over my life there were 2 subjects that I credit most with my success. Those are a comprehensive understanding of compounding interest and the ability to recognize logical fallacies.
And yet neither of educational tools was acquired in my public education.

Additionally, when others come to me for advice due to misfortune, what I find more times than not is that their misfortune came directly from their lack of understanding of these 2 principals.

Today we live in a credit based society where the most common financial position of people is deep long term indebtedness and little or no savings. The recent economic fiasco of 2008 is a glaring example of the lack of understanding the majority of people have about how debt and interest works.

The other major problematic area of most people’s lives is centered around the inability to distinguish fact from fiction using the simple tools of logistical fallacies. The vast majority of the population accepts fallacies as evidence of truth in everything from political elections to major financial decisions. Our country as a whole is duped into laws and policies which are counterproductive to the people because people live in a constant state of confusion because they cannot tell the difference between the truth and lies.

Neither of these concepts are difficult to teach or to master, so the thing that causes me to question the integrity of the public education system is why these subjects are not taught vigorously.

Is it because the teachers themselves do not understand the importance these principals can make in someone’s life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Your post is illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
is not the same as:

2 most critical subjects not taught in undergraduate classes

Because you could have acquired these subjects had you taken courses on them.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,357 times
Quote:
The other major problematic area of most people’s lives is centered around the inability to distinguish fact from fiction using the simple tools of logistical fallacies. The vast majority of the population accepts fallacies as evidence of truth in everything from political elections to major financial decisions.
Does spirituality fall under this description? An awful lot of highly educated people go to church.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
With the number of electives to take, you could have taken classes that taught those subjects.

Also, my core requirements for my undergrad required classes that went over this; public speaking covered fallacies, math class covered interest.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Looking back over my life there were 2 subjects that I credit most with my success. Those are a comprehensive understanding of compounding interest and the ability to recognize logical fallacies.

Additionally, when others come to me for advice due to misfortune, what I find more times than not is that their misfortune came directly from their lack of understanding of these 2 principals.

Today we live in a credit based society where the most common financial position of people is deep long term indebtedness and little or no savings. The recent economic fiasco of 2008 is a glaring example of the lack of understanding the majority of people have about how debt and interest works.

The other major problematic area of most people’s lives is centered around the inability to distinguish fact from fiction using the simple tools of logistical fallacies. The vast majority of the population accepts fallacies as evidence of truth in everything from political elections to major financial decisions. Our country as a whole is duped into laws and policies which are counterproductive to the people because people live in a constant state of confusion because they cannot tell the difference between the truth and lies.

Neither of these concepts are difficult to teach or to master, so the thing that causes me to question the integrity of the public education system is why these subjects are not taught vigorously.

Is it because the teachers themselves do not understand the importance these principals can make in someone’s life?
There is no universal core curriculum taught at every college in the US. Some colleges require financial literacy classes as part of a graduation requirement and I'm sure just about any college would have a logic class available.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Your post is illogical.

is not the same as:

2 most critical subjects not taught in undergraduate classes

Because you could have acquired these subjects had you taken courses on them.

The point I was trying to make that seems to elude you is that these subjects are badly needed in order to achieve a reasonable amount of financial success or to understand laws and politics which are elementary to make the kind of educated decisions concerning voting which is the responsibility of every citizen.
To not teach these skill to all students seems to me to be gross negligence on the part of the educational system.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
The point I was trying to make that seems to elude you is that these subjects are badly needed in order to achieve a reasonable amount of financial success or to understand laws and politics which are elementary to make the kind of educated decisions concerning voting which is the responsibility of every citizen.
To not teach these skill to all students seems to me to be gross negligence on the part of the educational system.
I got your point. MY point is that some college not only offer classes in personal finances, but they require it for graduation. My son's college is one of them. Some High Schools are also making this part of their core requirements. From your first post, you said you were disappointed that it wasn't part of your formal education, but that doesn't mean it's a universal lack.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:13 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:

That is taught in high school here!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Quote:

Agree. I am really good at the logic thing - learned it in college - but not the compound interest part. As a result, I'm really educated and can make or evaluate any argument, but am drowning in debt from student loans.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Compound interest is taught in finance 101. It is not the higher education's purpose to teach survival skills.

Separating fact from fiction is taught in every college course. When you verify all the cited papers of the academic papers you read, you are essentially determining whether the author's arguments are fact or fiction and in which context they truly apply. This is why it took us 2 days to get through a 10 page paper. Because of all the verification we did. And if you didn't verify the facts, you were called out on it in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities