Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
I knew plenty of people who cheated in college and many of them graduated with honors. You've got to cheat, lie, or kiss ass to climb up the economic ladder. That's the sad reality.
I have never once cheated.

At work, I will never cut a corner (even if it is "acceptable"). My standards for integrity and personal comportment are very, very high. I refuse to take tax deductions for charitable donations bc I think it is my duty to help others and do not feel right about financially benefitting for it. And I am labelled a dirty cheating 1%er. Nice.

Please don't blame your personal failures on the purported lack of ethics on the part of others. Even if it makes you feel better. It is a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
Do you personally know any students/people who went to harvard? I personally know 2. Even if they have cheated on some homework assignment, they still deserve to be at harvard. They were the smartest people in my high school ( and not just GPA/SAT wise, by the way Harvard looks at a lot more that just stats). Even when I expanded my surroundings by around 15 fold when I went to college, they are still the smartest people I know. To the best of my knowledge, they aren't the superstars at Harvard, so this means the average harvard student is like them. Even if 40% of them cheated on something, they are still smarter than your average person.
You missed my point. Smart or not, if they cheated their academic dishonesty may have prevented someone just as smart but academically honest from having the advantage of a Harvard education.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:18 AM

158 posts, read 256,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That some did cheat does not mean you've "got to" in order to get ahead. Many do not. Those who cheat often find that as they try to climb the ladder their cheating no longer works and they end up exposed for their incompetence.

Would you trust one of the cheaters you know to be your surgeon? To design an airplane you personally will fly in? To manage your money? To pay all the income tax he owes? Would you marry someone who cheated in school?
From my experience, it's "cheaters" who are getting ahead. A cheater doesn't necessarily mean they're unintelligent, but they're willing to do anything to find a shortcut. They could very well be competent individuals, but just have a distaste for hard work. I commend them, I find cheating to be a craft. The education system, like politics, is just one big game.

Last edited by CitySide; 04-30-2014 at 05:33 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 AM

158 posts, read 256,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have never once cheated.

At work, I will never cut a corner (even if it is "acceptable"). My standards for integrity and personal comportment are very, very high. I refuse to take tax deductions for charitable donations bc I think it is my duty to help others and do not feel right about financially benefitting for it. And I am labelled a dirty cheating 1%er. Nice.

Please don't blame your personal failures on the purported lack of ethics on the part of others. Even if it makes you feel better. It is a lie.
You don't know me to make that kind of ASSumption and what you do with your money is your business. I couldn't care less about how much you make either (another irrelevant tidbit). We are talking about cheating at the academic level and I have see a lot of it. Having others take exams for you, hand picking your professors, taking "easy courses" to inflate your GPA, lying on resumes, lazy group project members who want to take the easy way out, etc. I could go on. Even in my profession there's a lot of cheating, some of it even close to being illegal. You're a sucker if you think everyone is abiding by the rules, the majority do not. Everyone has "cheated" in some sense, it doesn't have to be blatant cheating.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
You don't know me to make that kind of ASSumption and what you do with your money is your business. I couldn't care less about how much you make either (another irrelevant tidbit). We are talking about cheating at the academic level and I have see a lot of it. Having others take exams for you, hand picking your professors, taking "easy courses" to inflate your GPA, lying on resumes, lazy group project members who want to take the easy way out, etc. I could go on. Even in my profession there's a lot of cheating, some of it even close to being illegal. You're a sucker if you think everyone is abiding by the rules, the majority do not. Everyone has "cheated" in some sense, it doesn't have to be blatant cheating.
You are the one who brought up the economic ladder. Read your own post

And again, no.
Not everyone has cheated.

Sorry you are so bitter that you really believe that.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are the one who brought up the economic ladder. Read your own post

And again, no.
Not everyone has cheated.

Sorry you are so bitter that you really believe that.
Congratulations. You're a special bootstrapping snowflake.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Congratulations. You're a special bootstrapping snowflake.
Nope, just someone whose achievements did not require cheating.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 3,485 times
What is cheating really? Sure, you could copy someone's homework, but given how little homework counts towards your grade, it's not like it'd matter. In a previous class, it was pretty easy to google the book's solution key, and the solution key actually helped me learn the material better. I'm one of those people who learns by seeing how something is done, and then going through it step by step until its clockwork.

Besides, if everyone in the class is cheating on homework, I'm not going to give them a competitive advantage over me. If the professor won't enforce it, then why would I sit back and let others get ahead? I'll still view the solution key and make sure I get my points, but I'll make extra sure I learn the stuff because I still need to demonstrate that I've actually learned the stuff on exams. I like getting as many points leading up to the final as possible. It means less pressure for the final!

It's a grade, I'd better get some good results for my hard work. In the real world, I've got a very good incentive to learn stuff: my paycheck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities