Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,343,755 times

Advertisements

I rarely, if ever, hear about a starter for a Division I football or basketball team losing eligibility due to the fact that his GPA was too low. Statistically, it seems improbable given the sheer number of players and also their busy schedules. Plus, a lot of athletes only went to a flagship university for the big time athletics program and not necessarily because it was a good fit academically.

What's the secret and why is just accepted without much fuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times
"How are college athletes so consistently successful in academics?"

Many work hard and study hard. I know my husband did - football and physics is rough!

In some cases... easy classes and tutors. Also some drop out/go pro.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
I believe many of them get tutoring. Also, a lot do not graduate.

Female athletes get better grades, in general.
The Telegraph - Google News Archive Search

Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,343,755 times
Sure, many don't graduate if theyre done with college when theyre done with football. I certainly believe that, but they always make passing grades while theyre on the team.

Statistically, you'd think at least 1%, if not 5% or more of the starters would have academic problems. You could probably take graduates of private schools that made good grades in high school and come from good families and find at least 1% that have academic problems. It's a numbers game.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I rarely, if ever, hear about a starter for a Division I football or basketball team losing eligibility due to the fact that his GPA was too low. Statistically, it seems improbable given the sheer number of players and also their busy schedules. Plus, a lot of athletes only went to a flagship university for the big time athletics program and not necessarily because it was a good fit academically.

Your premise is flawed...

Just because "you" never hear about starters failing to remain eligible doesn't mean it never happens, it happens every day all over the country...

It's also pretty hard to lose eligibility, while the NCAA is about to raise the minimum GPA, right now at most schools an athlete only has to take 9 credit hours per semester and maintain a 2.0 GPA....you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do that.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 AM

9,754 posts, read 11,176,921 times
As others have said, tutors, and low amount of credits, and easier classes. If you read this board, then you have read people on C-D have concluded football players only take business and communication paths. There are of course brilliant D1 athletes that work incredibly hard. For whatever reason, distant runners in track and cross country runner are brighter.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Sure, many don't graduate if theyre done with college when theyre done with football. I certainly believe that, but they always make passing grades while theyre on the team.

Statistically, you'd think at least 1%, if not 5% or more of the starters would have academic problems. You could probably take graduates of private schools that made good grades in high school and come from good families and find at least 1% that have academic problems. It's a numbers game.
You don't hear about it because it's not information that can be shared with you. It happens all the time. They may have received and "injury in practice" or something or have "personal issues" to deal with. I know of 2 DI athletes personally that had to be sidelined for grades. Both had "personal issues". It does happen, a lot.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM

4,641 posts, read 4,908,377 times
Quote:
Everett Golson banned from Notre Dame Fighting Irish for 'poor academic judgment' - ESPN
The starting QB for Notre Dame last year can't play this year due to academics.

Quote:
Football players at football factory schools have a lot of advantages - easy classes, tutors, special admissions councelors. Many still don't graduate at all. Most at Oklahoma - only 47% of football players at Oklahoma graduate within 6 years. (The NCAA let themselves change the statistic to 6 years to be successful).
On the other hand, 97% of Northwestern and Notre Dame football players graduate eventually.
In the "10" worst graduating schools (more than 10, because there were many ties), 4 SEC schools, 4 PAC-12, 1 Big 10, 3 Big 12, and 4 MAC schools. Along with some other schools.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Just check the roster on most college web sites for the individual biography of each athlete. Some colleges list the major of the athlete, but I've noticed that this practice is on the decline as it's not always very "flattering" for the institution. Especially when they want to brag later about their average GPA of a particular sports team. The number of general studies, undeclared majors, PE, communications, and recreation majors will give a clue where some of this academic success lies. Keep in mind that these athletes have access to full time paid tutors, especially in D-1.

I will agree that for student athletes taking tougher majors, there are quite a few real high achievers as well. These students can focus the discipline that they use in athletics into academics as well. I don't think their record of achievement though necessarily makes the entire group stand out above the general student population.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Everett Golson banned from Notre Dame Fighting Irish for 'poor academic judgment' - ESPN
The starting QB for Notre Dame last year can't play this year due to academics.

Football players at football factory schools have a lot of advantages - easy classes, tutors, special admissions councelors. Many still don't graduate at all. Most at Oklahoma - only 47% of football players at Oklahoma graduate within 6 years. (The NCAA let themselves change the statistic to 6 years to be successful).
On the other hand, 97% of Northwestern and Notre Dame football players graduate eventually.
In the "10" worst graduating schools (more than 10, because there were many ties), 4 SEC schools, 4 PAC-12, 1 Big 10, 3 Big 12, and 4 MAC schools. Along with some other schools.
Exactly. You have to understand the dynamics of college sports to understand how it works.

College football, and basketball to a lesser extent are HUGE $ makers. Schools like Oklahoma and Florida want to win at all costs, whether it means bringing in kids who could barely get the minimum score on the SAT (a 700!) and even in some cases, criminals. So, how does a kid who could barely get a 700 on the SAT get through school at UF? Easy classes and lots of help. Schools like Stanford and Notre Dame will compromise their academic standards as well, but not to the same levels.

On the other hand, if you are a college water polo player, you make $0 for the university and you are on your own. Many of these student athletes do well in both because they are extremely motivated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities