Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:27 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My college didn't have a football team, so I cheer for Harvard and UGA.
Too funny. There are those who would argue for all intents and purposes, Harvard doesn’t have a football team either. In the 1990s, T-shirts with “Team of the ‘90s” were common, but it meant the 1890s. :-) Unofficially, lol - a common chant when losing back in the day (amongst several top-tiered universities not just Harvard): ‘That’s all right, that’s okay; You’re gonna work for us someday’.

While most FCS teams compete in a tournament to determine the national championship, Ivy League teams do not nor do they award athletic scholarships or specifically recruit athletes; everyone must be accepted by the Admissions Office i.e. no NLI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 08:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Thread revivers screen name is from a Robert Jordan novel.

More nerd bullying, lol.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
While most FCS teams compete in a tournament to determine the national championship, Ivy League teams do not nor do they award athletic scholarships or specifically recruit athletes; everyone must be accepted by the Admissions Office i.e. no NLI.
Yes, they do not offer scholarships, athletic or academic, which is odd for a D1 athletics department. However, they do recruit athletes. It's just that those recruits still need to go through the application process like everyone else.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:01 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, they do not offer scholarships, athletic or academic, which is odd for a D1 athletics department. However, they do recruit athletes. It's just that those recruits still need to go through the application process like everyone else.
Point being, they don’t recruit athletes in the sense there is no guarantee of admission or NLI; hence my point everyone must go through (and be accepted by) the highly-competitive admissions process. There’s a difference between one being recruited/asked to join a college team, in and of itself, with minimal admission requirements vs. utilizing athletic talent to gain an edge in the admissions process, all else being equal.

That said, I’m certainly not denying athletic talent (and leadership relative to such) can tip the scales in one’s favor. :-)

Old 11-09-2022, 01:33 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We aren’t into sports, but we like to pay attention to Ohio State Football, because we lived nearby for years, and some kids and grandkids went there.

I’m kind of jealous of sports fans, because they get a lot of fun out of it. We have friends who dress up in the jerseys of the Cleveland baseball and football all teams, as well as OSU.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I never attended LSU or Tulane but I am from Louisiana and I enjoy following those teams, as well as the Saints - or the Aints this year - LOL. Oh well.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:28 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I understand it. Unlike a pro team they can't move, unlike a pro team you actually have a stake in it because if it's a public college you're paying taxes to support it and your children can attend it at a reduced rate.

In some ways it's more logical for a Texan to support the Longhorns or Aggies than some pro franchise that is in Houston or Dallas today but could be in a different state or even country next year on the whim of a billionaire or the back of some corporate strategy. There's more unique Texan culture tied up in those college teams than any pro team as well. They also bring together people from metropolitan areas and the countryside far more effectively than anything else. You could be a crazy weed-smoking hippie from Austin and a die-hard conservative evangelical farmer from some small town in the Hill Country and you both could bleed burnt orange and have some common ground.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:17 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
I wear clothing for a university ranked higher than most Ivy League schools. I read, but don't know the veracity, that its football program has one of the worst attendances of any university in the USA, averaging much less than most of the local middle schools around me. I graduated from there online, but never physically attended. I wear it in favor of places I had previously physically attended that have a noticeable and significant number of people wearing attire with no academic affiliation (other than perhaps aspirational).

Old 11-10-2022, 04:45 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I live in Ohio. Not everyone attended The Ohio State University, but many people are OSU fans. Same with Penn State. Many fans, fewer attendees or alums.

Since I am from NYS, this was all very strange to me. People there were fans of Professional sports teams. Our state universities are known more for their academics than their sports. A possible exception is Syracuse University, which is a very competitive private university that attracts many non-alum fans - but mostly only in that area. That's it.

I just chalk it up to regional differences.

I have tee shirts from the colleges I attended, my husband attended, my children and parents attended. NONE are known for sports of any type.

There is nothing wrong with being a fan of your regional state university. I wish more people would attend these universities than support their athletics. But that is me.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Same reason people are fans of professional sports teams in states they've lived or have been born in.

Everyone likes winners and hates losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities