Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 11:32 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,449 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NY so college football wasn't really something I followed growing up. I moved to Ann Arbor in my 20s to follow my girl (now wife) to grad school so I became a fan of the Wolverines.

Now I live in Austin so how could I not root for the horns. Hook 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 11:34 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since I am from NYS, this was all very strange to me. People there were fans of Professional sports teams. Our state universities are known more for their academics than their sports. A possible exception is Syracuse University, which is a very competitive private university that attracts many non-alum fans - but mostly only in that area. That's it.
Ha, I didn't see your post but I just posted the same thing (or similar at least)...cheers

Old 11-10-2022, 01:44 PM

246 posts, read 120,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What is with this undying support of college athletics? Football mostly.

Firstly, most of these boosters and fans didn't even graduate from these colleges, and in a lot of cases didn't even attend there.

Secondly, sometimes they like a school that isn't even in their area, sometimes not even their own state.

I suppose I can understand why some people may back certain Colleges/Universities, if it's their hometown college, and it's what they're known for. i.e. South Bend with Notre Dame, Tuscaloosa with Alabama, Ann Arbor with University of Michigan, etc. Because with professional teams most people will support their home team, or the one nearest to them. I thought colleges were more than just an athletic division, and the real supporters are the college alumni who owe their success in life to the institution of learning that they attended.

Anyway, I just get tired of and frankly don't understand people being backers of these colleges when many of them haven't even stepped foot inside the halls of that campus.

Wanting to have something or someone to route for? Lack of activity in the schools and organizations they do know?

There are towns that pay college sports players to form teams and come to their town to play. They go to the games and pay to see them and act just as if they were connected to it all in some way. They root for them and I imagine make book on them. It beats watching the paint dry or grass grow I would think.

If only the alumni as you said real supporters were the only ones to support , would be a very different deal , than it is today if anything at all other than reunions.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:59 AM

155 posts, read 266,659 times
I'm facinated by the trivial things people concern themselves with in order to achieve a feeling of superiority over others lol.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:22 AM

8,707 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salutethehill View Post
I'm facinated by the trivial things people concern themselves with in order to achieve a feeling of superiority over others lol.
I agree; if one is going to be a fan of college sports as an adult, why not just root for their own college? It’s akin to following a professional sports team for a City in which one does not live (and never has).

Old 01-29-2023, 09:33 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I agree; if one is going to be a fan of college sports as an adult, why not just root for their own college? It’s akin to following a professional sports team for a City in which one does not live (or never has).
That one's a little more understandable, especially depending on where you are and when you were a kid. Most places don't have a pro sports team close by. I was in my 20s and in the service before I ever attended an NFL game. Growing up we kid were fans of the teams they showed on TV -- Packers, Rams, Vikings, even the Jets. Didn't live anywhere near those places, but we saw them on TV. It's been years since I really cared much about the NFL, and even though we live in Tennessee, those teams still carry more meaning than Titans.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That one's a little more understandable, especially depending on where you are and when you were a kid. Most places don't have a pro sports team close by. I was in my 20s and in the service before I ever attended an NFL game. Growing up we kid were fans of the teams they showed on TV -- Packers, Rams, Vikings, even the Jets. Didn't live anywhere near those places, but we saw them on TV. It's been years since I really cared much about the NFL, and even though we live in Tennessee, those teams still carry more meaning than Titans.
Usually folks are fans of the college(s) they went to and the city/metro area they live (or grew up in) relative to professional sports. You (indirectly) bring up a good point, though; perhaps those who are following a college they didn’t attend never went to college themselves and/or they’re following a team they often see on TV.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:12 AM

88,648 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
I agree; if one is going to be a fan of college sports as an adult, why not just root for their own college? It’s akin to following a professional sports team for a City in which one does not live (and never has).
I dunno, but you have literally millions of people who have never lived not only in the town of East Rutherford, NJ, but even in the state of NJ itself, and yet root for two teams that play there!

Old 01-30-2023, 05:17 AM

155 posts, read 266,659 times
Quote:
I was more regarding the needs of alumni fans to feel superior to non-alumni fans “because they didn’t go to school here.” Lots of people don’t go to college at all. Imagine concerning yourself with who someone can/can’t be a fan of - the true fan argument.

It makes perfect sense. I live in SC. At an early age… long before college.. you figure out if you’re a SC fan or a Clemson fan. You go to games. It’s fun. They’re now your team. It’s not complex.

My son plays college football. He could take this one step further and say “why are people fans of college football when they’ve never even been on the team.” But he doesn’t, because he knows that’s dumb.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salutethehill View Post
I was more regarding the needs of alumni fans to feel superior to non-alumni fans “because they didn’t go to school here.” Lots of people don’t go to college at all. Imagine concerning yourself with who someone can/can’t be a fan of - the true fan argument.

It makes perfect sense. I live in SC. At an early age… long before college.. you figure out if you’re a SC fan or a Clemson fan. You go to games. It’s fun. They’re now your team. It’s not complex.
Sure, you can be a fan of any college team you want (and certainly need not answer to anyone for it). It’s (far) more bizarre to concern oneself with where another went to school (or not). I’m simply commenting most folks, if they remain fans of college sports well into adulthood, focus on where they personally went to school. I make that assumption, as a whole, as it is the case amongst my friends/colleagues/associates.

However, I happen to be one of those guys who (for the most part) stopped following college sports by the time I was in graduate school (and especially beyond). Now, I’m more interested in professional sports (and camaraderie) in my City; I’d rather watch a game live/in-person (with my girlfriend, friends or colleagues) than on TV, particularly baseball and basketball. I consider college games on TV (and even some mid-season professional games) to be boring, or at least not worth the watch/my time.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-30-2023 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities