Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Yes, clearly it's affected my physical state. It's easy to forget how many rubbish replies I should be expecting when asking any question here.
That's what happens when you attempt to insult folks with a rhetorical question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's what happens when you attempt to insult folks with a rhetorical question.
I think you're the only one who feels the sting of an insult. 90% of the posters have answered in an honest forthcoming and polite manner, but there are always bad eggs.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
I smell one now.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM

183 posts, read 292,758 times
Its because of the name and reputation these colleges and schools earned from the excellent education. People like it because its not always necessary to study there and then like it. Suppose I may not be able to study in Harvard or MIT but I know these two are one of the best institutions in world.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,398,150 times
I always wondered this in regards to sports. I can see a familiar connection if their parents/kids/aunt/cousin/etc went there.

Other people it seems like picked up a map, threw a dart and decided to root for the closest school.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,007,602 times
Default Easy!

My guess is it's because they don't have real lives. :-)

I know it sounds snarky -- but if you didn't even attend the school and/or didn't even have a kid who did (or, preferably, DOES) -- you need to wake up and realize there's a world out there with other interesting things to going on (and plenty of problems to solve).

Old 11-15-2014, 04:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
I can't say that bothers me

Old 11-15-2014, 02:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
My guess is it's because they don't have real lives...
What a misanthropic response .

Old 11-15-2014, 06:12 PM

42 posts, read 44,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What is with this undying support of college athletics? Football mostly.

Firstly, most of these boosters and fans didn't even graduate from these colleges, and in a lot of cases didn't even attend there.

Secondly, sometimes they like a school that isn't even in their area, sometimes not even their own state.

I suppose I can understand why some people may back certain Colleges/Universities, if it's their hometown college, and it's what they're known for. i.e. South Bend with Notre Dame, Tuscaloosa with Alabama, Ann Arbor with University of Michigan, etc. Because with professional teams most people will support their home team, or the one nearest to them. I thought colleges were more than just an athletic division, and the real supporters are the college alumni who owe their success in life to the institution of learning that they attended.

Anyway, I just get tired of and frankly don't understand people being backers of these colleges when many of them haven't even stepped foot inside the halls of that campus.
That is an American thing which I don’t get. I did study (college) for a while in United States and people were walking clothing brand after that university. I don’t know if everybody had attended that particular university but it was fairly strange comparing how it is in Europe were you never see people wear clothing with the university or college brand. They were up for sale in university I attended in Europe but people didn’t buy them and nor did I. When I was in primary and high school (in Europe) you could buy clothing with the school name and so we did but it was not like people were wearing it if it was not some game or something like that. When I was in graduate school I didn’t even see clothing with the university brand. People were just too old for things like that. College in United States is similar to High School in Europe and many start at a much younger age which explains why US colleges is like kindergarten. Americans continue to be like kids well up to their early thirties and you see even adults behaving like they are children. In Europe you are an adult when you leave high school and college and university is for adults but apparently not in United States.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,830,607 times
In a word:
Tribalism

It's the same reason people are fans of professional sports teams, with the added facts that with colleges a larger portion of the team is from the city/state/region, and it operates under the pretense of the ideal of amateurism. Sports allows people to express their support of their tribe. These people convince themselves that the football team (for example) is actually a manifestation of their city/state/region, demonstrating through its football prowess its superiority over those inferior
infidels from the next state over.

That is why people paint their faces and sit through a football game in a snowstorm and scream themselves hoarse. Football is just an example - the same applies to myriad other sports, almost all of which are little more in essence than a ritualized substitute for combat. An opiate for the masses, and the masses can't get enough of the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities