Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 AM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Go to South Bend Indiana, home of the University of Notre Dame. A lot of the fans who come to attend are alumni who travel the nation from Connecticut to California and come back to Indiana to watch Notre Dame. At LEAST 50% of the fans are locals, people who did NOT attend Notre Dame.
Well, the school is Catholic, and their fans are mostly Catholic. They can't all attend the college (or have their kids attend), so they at least support it, financially and/or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,016,353 times
Quote:
Anyway, I just get tired of and frankly don't understand people being backers of these colleges when many of them haven't even stepped foot inside the halls of that campus.

Why do you care?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
Can't wait till Mississippi State puts a stop to that Roll Tide this weekend.
ROLL TIDE! Like I said.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:12 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I spent ten years in Minnesota and one in Kansas, I am aware that those teams are in the Midwest. I lumped them all in the "north" category to separate them from the Northeast because they more or less straddle the Great Lakes/Canadian border and from a Southerner's perspective those states are Northern, anyways. I should have wrote prairie states instead. Official demarcations aside, many in Kansas, Iowa, or even Minnesota do not necessarily agree that Ohio, and possibly Indiana, are Midwestern. That is a topic for another forum, however.

Anyways, my point was that football is a really big deal in the South and prairie states with loyalties to particular teams being passed down from parent to child. Without local teams to root for it made more sense to root for colleges than for the closest team that is over 1,000 miles away.
I don't mean to argue here, but none of those states I listed are prairie states, not even Minnesota. And Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan are the quintessential midwest states, all of which have an NFL team, Ohio which has 2. In this region you're never more than 120 miles from a city with an NFL team.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,935,597 times
Grew up in Baton Rouge where everyone is an LSU fan whether they go to college or not. I went to a tiny DIII school with absolutely no football team, so I see no reason to switch allegiances.

Rooting for anything doesn't really make any concrete sense of you analyze it too closely. It seems like a natural human tendency, though, and sports are one of the more innocuous way to express it.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Grew up in Baton Rouge where everyone is an LSU fan whether they go to college or not. I went to a tiny DIII school with absolutely no football team, so I see no reason to switch allegiances.

Rooting for anything doesn't really make any concrete sense of you analyze it too closely. It seems like a natural human tendency, though, and sports are one of the more innocuous way to express it.
Have to agree with this.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, the school is Catholic, and their fans are mostly Catholic. They can't all attend the college (or have their kids attend), so they at least support it, financially and/or otherwise.
The religious aspect has nothing to do with it. Most of the people I know who are fans don't even attend church, or are atheists. Trust me, I lived there most of my life. It's not just true in South Bend either, pretty much any decent sized college town is going to have most of the city's population backing the school, whether they attended there or not.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:04 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,671,823 times
I was told that a person spends a lot of money and effort to get a degree and they don't appreciate the guy from Jiffy Lube wearing the T Shirt and saying "We" when talking about the team. I tend to agree. That same person also told me children were exempt because they may attend the school someday.

When my brother in laws son went to college he bought his dad a T Shirt. My BIL told him he wasted his money because he would never wear a shirt from a school he never attended.

I tend to follow teams because of the coach. This year I am watching Washington. I am not a fan, but curious on how Petersen does. I do the same with Terry Bowden at Akron.

I think it is wrong if people wear and say they are fans of a school they never attended but it isn't that big a deal. I own nothing from the college I attended for 7 quarters since I never graduated.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The religious aspect has nothing to do with it.
With Notre Dame, religion has PLENTY to do with it.

We will have to agree to disagree about that.....

Old 11-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think it is wrong if people wear and say they are fans of a school they never attended but it isn't that big a deal.
I would think it would be wrong to say they attended said school when they did not. But nothing wrong with liking it! (IMHO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities