Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,279 times

Advertisements

@ Jasper12 I see what you're saying but currently right now Im at a Technical college and a few months ago I tried to get into a community college here in Atlanta, Georgia Perimeter College however when I tried to apply they said that I had to either finish taking my Learning Support Math at the Technical College or take the COMPASS test there at Perimeter. The thing is if I fail the compass test at Georgia Perimeter then I have to retake the Learning Support Class again which is the class Im in now.

It sucks because all I want is a Communications degree, and Im not really the college type of person but in reality no job wants a guy with no college degree. The career that I would like to be in that I only am interested is the entertainment industry behind the scenes.
Plus I dont want to flip burgers or be a janitor, I dont want to work in retail being a cashier which Im doing right now for the rest of my life.

What other options to consider? Try to find a community college with a Communications major with hardly no math?
Even though I despise math Decimals percents can be a little difficult but I can sort of handle that but Algebra that is a different story I really felt like my high school teacher in Algebra felt pitty for me and passed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM

284 posts, read 641,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
@ Jasper12 I see what you're saying but currently right now Im at a Technical college and a few months ago I tried to get into a community college here in Atlanta, Georgia Perimeter College however when I tried to apply they said that I had to either finish taking my Learning Support Math at the Technical College or take the COMPASS test there at Perimeter. The thing is if I fail the compass test at Georgia Perimeter then I have to retake the Learning Support Class again which is the class Im in now.

It sucks because all I want is a Communications degree, and Im not really the college type of person but in reality no job wants a guy with no college degree. The career that I would like to be in that I only am interested is the entertainment industry behind the scenes.
Plus I dont want to flip burgers or be a janitor, I dont want to work in retail being a cashier which Im doing right now for the rest of my life.

What other options to consider? Try to find a community college with a Communications major with hardly no math?
Even though I despise math Decimals percents can be a little difficult but I can sort of handle that but Algebra that is a different story I really felt like my high school teacher in Algebra felt pitty for me and passed me.
i also plan to work behind the scenes in the entertainment industry. im going the film/tv production route. im now in CC majoring in communications. i plan to get my AA then transfer to a university. the math classes i have taken so far are not hard at all. like now im taking math liberal arts . super easy!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
If you plan to work "behind the scenes" in the entertainment industry you need to define exactly what skills you have to offer. It's the same work as non entertainment industry stuff...and most likely you will work in those as well. Anything beyond gofer stuff will require a tech skill of some sort. Computers, cameras, rigging, editing, etc. is where the jobs are. Anyone can answer phones and file.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:44 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,415 times
Try not lose heart. Those online remedial math classes are the worst! They don't really work well for the mathematically challenged! I went out to the web and found video taped lectures for many of the problems, and that helped a lot. I also spoke to my school's psychologist and he said that me and people who struggle with higher forms of math (algebra, geometry, etc) have a problem with spatial reasoning. One trick is that no matter how simple the step is in solving the problem, write it out! I go through several notebooks of work just for one semester of math.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
I don't know if it this will help. My son was struggling with a calculus class which he did have to re-take. A different professor made all the difference, it was not a language thing either, both spoke perfect English. Over the summer he found some online tutorials, they are free, khan academy, it really helped him. The site offers all levels of math.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Please note that this thread was started in 2013.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
Yep..... Old thread..... I don't know how I got to responding to a old thread, usually don't..........

Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
At the bottom of old threads, there is always a message that says something like if you have something to add, please do so. I notice that people don’t like when old threads are resurrected, so maybe that message should be removed from the old ones. Just a thought.

Last edited by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy; 02-05-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 713 times
I'm 56 years old. I've been in college since 2011 working on my BS in Criminal Justice. I have completed all of my core classes. I have taken math 950 twice. I have taken math 990 four times. I am now in math 1000 for the second time. These are all fundamental math classes. I have paid tutors, used the math lab at school, watched HOURS of youtube videos, practiced, spent more time doing math than I have spending time with my family. I have been tested for learning disabilities and diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia. The testing to determine whether I have a math disability (dyscalculia) is very expensive and a long waiting list. So I find it somewhat offensive that comments indicate that if someone is unable to pass basic, or fundamental math they should not be in college. I need stats to graduate, however, I cry and have horrible anxiety just trying to get through algebra. Clearly, I AM capable of determination and drive. Otherwise, I would stop paying out of pocket to continue retaking the same classes so that I can eventually graduate. There was a formal logic philosophy course offered as a possible substitution for math and it turned out to be just as much of a struggle as algebra. I'm frustrated and discouraged and would be happy to try other feasible options but for now, I'll just keep plugging away and doing algebra until I'm 90 years old if that's what I need to do to graduate from college.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:27 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanababies View Post
I'm 56 years old. I've been in college since 2011 working on my BS in Criminal Justice. I have completed all of my core classes. I have taken math 950 twice. I have taken math 990 four times. I am now in math 1000 for the second time. These are all fundamental math classes. I have paid tutors, used the math lab at school, watched HOURS of youtube videos, practiced, spent more time doing math than I have spending time with my family. I have been tested for learning disabilities and diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia. The testing to determine whether I have a math disability (dyscalculia) is very expensive and a long waiting list. So I find it somewhat offensive that comments indicate that if someone is unable to pass basic, or fundamental math they should not be in college. I need stats to graduate, however, I cry and have horrible anxiety just trying to get through algebra. Clearly, I AM capable of determination and drive. Otherwise, I would stop paying out of pocket to continue retaking the same classes so that I can eventually graduate. There was a formal logic philosophy course offered as a possible substitution for math and it turned out to be just as much of a struggle as algebra. I'm frustrated and discouraged and would be happy to try other feasible options but for now, I'll just keep plugging away and doing algebra until I'm 90 years old if that's what I need to do to graduate from college.
Nothing wrong with this notion. You got to keep plugging away at it regardless of how horrific the school environment makes it for you. I've been stuck having to repeat Elementary, Intermediate, and College Algebra for the past 17 years. Started on the rutted road with booby traps at 18, and am 35 now.

Has the thought of never getting that degree, yet continually plugging away at the basics and filling in any holes prevented me from moving further in other areas in my life? I'd say so. No kids, no wife, not relationships beyond simple friendship to speak of. I personally feel getting a degree plan done some time in my life is more important for me mentally than any of the blue collar, picket fences shtick I could easily go for.

Have I encountered the "you should quit now" adversity? Too many times. Whether it's smarter college kids who think staying on some "work out in the cold on a low level labor" position all your life is more suitable, or the college counselors reminding you of a limited number of attempts allowed before the failure rate stacks up. There's been many times where I've had to hold myself back from headbutting the wrong person and ending up in a worse place.

Instead, I see school as THE prison sentence. Every math class passed gets me closer to parole from this hard time. The younger faces grow old and people like myself become the lifer's. Learning little at a time, but not a whole lot to get ourselves out soon enough.

I'm presently taking the remedial level courses again at my current, local college to fill in the holes that developed. And also to get used to learning and performing assignments on both the dreaded, Pearson MyMathLab program, and the ones I like such as Khan Academy. In addition to this, there's a teacher in the current class that actually presents some useful tools to help the memorization process chug along.

Now if only the same, effective instructor were teaching the classes after that one. Instead, she's semi-retired, and all the one's in the next courses are all some 2nd-4th year rookies who probably teach verbatim out of the text. Whatever the case is, perhaps the resources that weren't available 10-15 years ago like Khan Academy will help me through it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities