Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,602,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenhope View Post
i couldn't understand anything i had to get help alot thats how i pass fairly pass i had a single working mom couldn't afford meds got my free testing at school where they recongize i have adhd and i couldn't understand anything. never knew what to do even my mom doesn't know what to do .
Sounds like you are very young. First, you need a career that does NOT require good writing skills. Your writing is extremely poor. It is not so much grammar, as some people said, but mechanics (like using periods and capital letters). Unless you have some plan to learn this outside of high school (the only thing I can think of is remedial courses at community college, but that can take years) then you need to consider careers that do not involve writing.

You might consider: retail (even without any writing skills, if you work hard and take it seriously, you can advance to management in many large stores like Ross, Walmart, Walgreens, Sears, etc). Another possibility is hospitality, already mentioned - you can begin by waitressing or hostessing.

I do not think accounting is a good idea, unless you are much much better at math than at English.

You might check out the offerings at your local community college and see what 2-year programs they have that are career-oriented (versus academics leading to a 4 year degree). Unfortunately, that may mean taking remedial courses, so it would be best if you can find something that does not require taking basic college courses like English composition. n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM

40 posts, read 78,245 times
I don't know if i can handle leadership roles though. I prefer accounting though i know i have horrible grammar and spelling but i feel like if i work hard i could do something like that. what does a manager do i don't know how i can handle manager work.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM

51,324 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
I beeen wanting to do things haven't went to college after highschool cause i'm stuck in a rutt wish i had talked to my councerler but i have nobody. i got adhd it was tough and never could afford meds when i was highschool i got very very lucky i pass by 3 marks. still can't afford meds casue healthcare sucks but i want to find my path.

i thought of wanting to become a manager or something but relize i don't want to be a leader i'm a follower

i want a career that pays well defintly i don't own a car i hope to own one someday. i was thinking accounting casue i like office settings but are there other type of jobs i'm a follower so if there is a job where i don't lead alot of people that be great.
You should be able to get healthcare now with the Affordable Care Act, as most of it will be subsidized if you do not make much money. Start here: https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/individual/ Also, almost all ADD meds (not Straterra) are generic and would maybe cost you $5.00 a month.

I too have ADD, and actually quite high school in 11th grade, then after years of working menial jobs, went back in my late 20's, first to community college with just liberal arts focus, then transferred to a University for Occupational Therapy. I graduated Magna *** Laude, after a horrific high school career!

The thing is, if I hadn't been "ready" I would have failed again. You can't just vow to be different, you need real strategies for coping and organizing. Also try out different jobs to see what fits. Be aware of and accepting of your strengths and weaknesses, and choose an area of study based on that. I think OT was a good fit for me because it's active and I get to move around all day. A manager however, even in my own field, would NOT be good for me as my organizational skills are too poor and I get overwhelmed too easily. There is nothing wrong with being a follower vs a boss, most people are, so forgive yourself. Anything requiring you to be structured, organized and disciplined is not going to be a great fit with ADD. I would not think accounting would be a good fit for ADD - can you keep track of 100 different people's tax receipts, or a company's receipts and documents, without losing anything? Will you be able to sit at a desk and focus for most of your work day?

You can do this, but you can't make excuses - get yourself examined if you need to, and find ways to deal with your symptoms, whether through meds or strategies. Until you do you will not succeed regardless of what you major in.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM

i did retail all i am qualify is for retail i don't know what i am qualify for been working retail for 10 years now. but i can't get health insurane as i am part time i try to find full time but its hard . are there ppl to go to that may help or something hping obama care will help me. but what type is the healthcare how much is it?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,951,466 times
Good for you for seeking out a path in life! First, make a list of things you enjoy and are good at. Next, look for possible career paths that may encompass those skills or talents.

It's great that you graduated high school, but if you want to go to school for accounting, you will need to start slow (at a community college) and with a lot of hard work, you may be able to bring your writing skills up enough to get an accounting or accounting technology degree. I have the opposite issue, I'm great with reading and writing, but my math skills are atrocious! It's all about finding a program that will work for you!

As for ADHD, are you medically diagnosed? If yes, you are eligible for prescription assistance. I would start with looking up your local Department of Health and Human Services. They may be able to direct you where to go for medical assistance.

I will tell you that nine if it will be easy, but you'll come to find that the fight is worth as much as the prize.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM

51,324 posts, read 37,001,840 times
Quote:
i did retail all i am qualify is for retail i don't know what i am qualify for been working retail for 10 years now. but i can't get health insurane as i am part time i try to find full time but its hard . are there ppl to go to that may help or something hping obama care will help me. but what type is the healthcare how much is it?
I gave you the link to the government website on ObamaCare, 3 posts up. Here is also a link to Rite Aid, which is offering counseling for free on ObamaCare at select times/stores. https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/pre...ordableCareAct

Also look at your retail job, and make a list of what you do and don't like about it, and more importantly, what parts of it fit well with your ADD and which parts don't. This will help when you are ready to choose another career path.

You need to get out of "woe is me, nothing is going to work" mode and just start taking action...

Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM

788 posts, read 1,252,362 times
Quote:
I don't know if i can handle leadership roles though. I prefer accounting though i know i have horrible grammar and spelling but i feel like if i work hard i could do something like that.
Accounting will require writing skills. No-one will hire you for any accounting job if your writing skills are this poor. Several people have said it already and I can only concur. With your current writing skills, office jobs are not an realistic goal.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM

how do i improve my writing skills? what could my path be ? i want something that pays about 15+ an hour to be able to support myself

Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,385,952 times
Quote:
how do i improve my writing skills? what could my path be ? i want something that pays about 15+ an hour to be able to support myself
Unfortunately, jobs paying $15/hour are hard to come by even for those with college degrees. At your current skill level, it's going to take you YEARS to reach that level of payment, and there's a chance that, since you don't want to take on leadership roles, you won't ever get paid that much. Leadership roles are the ones that pay and provide benefits. I don't see you making that much in a retail job, at least not without putting in a minimum of 10+ years (assuming the job starts out at minimum wage; some jobs start out higher, but are very rare and coveted). Of course, whether or not you could independently support yourself on $15/hour is highly dependent on where you live.

You need to track down an adult literacy program that will help you improve your reading and writing skills. You'll need to track down these resources, either through the Dept. of Human Services/Resources, a program like Easter Seals, or a nonprofit program. Along with improving your literacy skills, they can hopefully help you find a path to take career-wise. You need to focus on what you want to do, not how much you ultimately want to make. You need to figure out your skill sets and which jobs would best suit them and your temperament.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,252,362 times
Quote:
how do i improve my writing skills?
Several people have given answers to that already.

Quote:
what could my path be ? i want something that pays about 15+ an hour to be able to support myself
You mean your path in life? That is something that we do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities