Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Legally you are using student loan money to pay your bills and investing the savings that would otherwise pay for tuition/a mortgage, etc. That is what I did...

Nothing illegal about it. You just have to be clear that it is your savings that is invested (even if the student loans allow you to spend less of your savings). Is it a technicality? Absolutely, but it is a pretty good one.
But you still have to pay back the loan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 03:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Most EMT classes are part time and take about eight or so weeks. There is no reason you can't work during this time period. I hope you understand EMTs are not well paid. Do you want to be an EMT or an EMT paramedic?
These programs do not qualify for financial aid - they are taught as "continuing education".

Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I have a house and cannot stand my job another minute and I was wondering if its possible to back to school full time and being about to take out loans or financial aide to pay my bills
To get back to the OP, yes, students loans allot some money towards living expenses. For some reason, many think they're just for tuition.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
But you still have to pay back the loan
I made 2% more on the investment than I spent on the loan.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
I have a house and cannot stand my job another minute and I was wondering if its possible to back to school full time and being about to take out loans or financial aide to pay my bills
I would have starved or frozen to death early on in college if I had not had my financial aide refund. However, I still needed a job on top of that to make ends meet.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
and then people complain that they are burdened with student loans after spending financial aid on something other than college cost.

No sympathy from me for people crying about their huge debt !
I'm assuming you're not saying this about people who used a financial aide refund to help cover costs of housing and food while in school.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
and then people complain that they are burdened with student loans after spending financial aid on something other than college cost.

No sympathy from me for people crying about their huge debt !
With all due respect teddy, not all people are in the PERFECT position to go to school. Like myself, I have two kids and support my household solely on my income alone. My line of work has hit a downturn and i am unemployed. I'm gone for weeks at a time and would love to see my children more than a week out of each month. I miss a lot. I am also wondering if there are loans that cover your bills while going to college. I plan on gaining an LPN degree so i can have a job to where I am home daily instead of once a month. The only way I can attend school is to have a loan that covers the cost of my bills so I can obtain a higher education and a better paying, more secure job. Try not to be so judgemental of people until you are in those shoes. I'm sorry if this offends you.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:34 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
The refund can be used however you want. But I wouldn't accept any extra unless you have to. Even if you have to just take a simple part time job to help a little. And it all comes down to how much you qualify for. I don't even get enough to cover my tuition. I pay the rest of of pocket, including books. So the answer is both yes and no, because it depends. You said your family relies on you, are you a single mom? There are things out there for mothers who want to go back to school, so look into those. Ask an advisor and they can direct you. Look into grants.
Grants for Women Going Back to School

And you can get an LPN diploma in like 12 months if you want, which would be less of a financial burden. Unless you want to possibly get your RN, you could do that and be done quicker. Good luck

Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I am sure the OP already settled this... as this resurrected thread is 2 and a half years old!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
as you are going to find yourself with a large student loan payment when you graduate.
Financial Aid is money given to you (but the money is sent to your school) and you would never have to pay it back unless you withdraw a few classes or flunk a semester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities