Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,350 times

Advertisements

Looking at job requirements, it just says that a Bachelor’s Degree is required or preferred. What would you major in to be an executive assistant?
I have two years Administrative Assistant experience, but I know that it is not the same as being an EA, and for many EA jobs, you have to have a B.A./B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Business Admin is the most common. Accounting and International Business degrees are also frequently seen among EAs.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Often, no degree is required (although it may be preferred).

It's a real plus if you are physically attractive, smart, loyal, discreet, hard-working, and have a British accent.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Looking at job requirements, it just says that a Bachelor’s Degree is required or preferred.
I have two years (secretarial) experience, but I know that it is not the same as being an EA,
and for many EA jobs, you have to have a B.A./B.S.
Once upon a time a plain old High School Diploma signified adequate vocabulary and arithmetic skill to be hired into just about any job there was. That and the ability accurately type X wpm were enough to be hired and subsequently progress
to the higher level of secretary within that company or professional firm.

A few night courses in one business office skill or another (eg: bookkeeping) or something that will teach the 500 to 1000 technical terms commonly used (eg: legal, medical, insurance, engineering) within that sort of company or professional firm plus of course the time doing the job and demonstrated personal traits (eg: discretion) are all that was needed to advance.

Meeting that standard of competence is still all that is really needed almost anywhere, but because the typical HS diploma has been devalued so much employers have learned to look to the next level of academia to find those who will have the vocabulary and arithmetic skill to be initially hired.

Quote:
What would you major in to be an executive (secretary)?
Focus on the skills that might actually be utilized.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Executive assistant is a vague term. Lots of people advertise for an “executive assistant” when they want an experienced secretary for a top-level boss, i.e., and assistant to an executive. A true executive assistant is a quasi-executive in his or her own right. S/he manages independent projects and is a gatekeeper for the executive. S/he functions more as a chief of staff than a secretary.

There is no specific degree to be an executive assistant. Here in New York, many executive assistants have fine or liberal arts degrees. The emphasis is usually on critical thinking and writing rather than business, per se.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Most executive assistants I worked with had liberal arts undergrads and often management grad degrees. I worked for awhile as a c level EA and have a management graduate degree. It really varied from field to field what the undergrad was in. You need a bachelors in something to get your foot in the door, unless you're in an uneducated area or poorer area. Often those, they call it an EA and it really is an admin assistant or secretarial job.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
It doesn't really matter. It's the skills that get you promoted.

Be highly organized, very professional in dress and demeanor, discreet, and really good with Microsoft Office products. It helps if you know the basics of accounting and know your way around a spreadsheet like a MF.

As you move up, you need to know more event planning and how to run a staff. The pinnacle is probably an executive assistant to a CEO, and those people RUN THINGS. They set up corporate meetings, dinners at the bosses house, travel, etc. They oversee the boss' whole staff. They control the bosses' calendar. EAs are quietly often some of the most powerful people at a given company... but the key word is quietly. They have a behind the scenes kind of power. If they start acting like they run the world they get fired.

At that level an MBA would be helpful to have I guess. But really what you need is to earn the absolute trust of the boss. And to break in you just need a Bachelors in whatever.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Do not waste a MBA on being an executive assistant. Its just a glorified secretarial job. Honestly even a bachelors is wasted on this long term. I'd say all you really need is a high school diploma and some solid work experience for executive assistant jobs.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Do not waste a MBA on being an executive assistant. Its just a glorified secretarial job. Honestly even a bachelors is wasted on this long term. I'd say all you really need is a high school diploma and some solid work experience for executive assistant jobs.

You are painting with a broad brush. Executive Assistant does not always mean secretary. I don't even know if it means secretary most of the time. The Executive Assistant I knew had a graduate degree, reported directly to the president, gathered information/did fact finding, coordinated internal and external resources, chaired committees, etc., etc. She had a position of substance and she had the president's ear. She did not have any secretarial duties; that's what the secretaries and administrative assistants were for.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are painting with a broad brush. Executive Assistant does not always mean secretary. I don't even know if it means secretary most of the time. The Executive Assistant I knew had a graduate degree, reported directly to the president, gathered information/did fact finding, coordinated internal and external resources, chaired committees, etc., etc. She had a position of substance and she had the president's ear. She did not have any secretarial duties; that's what the secretaries and administrative assistants were for.
I agree, often times the administrative assistant is the office manager. She is where I work. I think a business degree would be the most practical.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities