Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should professors have to speak fluent and understandable English?
Yes (this has actually affected me before too) 14 58.33%
Yes (this has not affected me before, but I agree) 2 8.33%
No (I am or am not a Genius who understands mumble) 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,451,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Students should not have to attend class if they don't want to!

The emoticon identifies my post as being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:20 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,153 times
I had an Indian lady teach Biology. Her grammar was awful. On top of that, she was a b*tch. We had to do certain assignments together, but turn in our own paper. Even though we had the EXACT same answers, we all had different grades.

I ended up dropping this class.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
I once took a history class with a very famous and well-respected history professor. There were two hundred people in this very popular class. When the professor started talking, he mumbled incohorently, with a very heavy foreign accent, and I couldn't understand a single word, even sitting in the front row. However, when I looked around, all the other students were taking notes and looking like they understood. I just dropped the class. Never did figure out how they understood or if they were all just faking it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM

550 posts, read 966,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I also had same problems and one of my sons in late 90's. He was on an academic scholarship and failed Physics specifically because he couldn't understand the professor.
I recall professors and TAs who couldn't speak English well, but managed never to fail a class as a result. Failing is a huge deal, and to put it solely on a professor who couldn't speak English well...would you mind explaining a bit? There must have been at least one or two in the class who managed to pass the class; I wonder how they did so.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 AM

10,051 posts, read 18,093,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The emoticon identifies my post as being sarcastic.
lol, sorry, I am clearly not up on my emoticons (or I need better glasses)!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 AM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Oops. wrong thread.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-03-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
These ideas are all fine and great until you have someone apply for an instructor position who is deaf, mute, or speech impaired....
I did seriously have an absolutely brilliant computer science professor who could not speak above a whisper. Would hate to think the school would have fired him or refused to hire him over a speech impediment. Of course, he could have come back and sued them over the issue as well. And outside the ADA issues, such a policy would have to undergo some serious defense over discrimination on the basis of national origin. That is why English fluency among TAs is such a rigid test based policy rather than any subjective evaluation of their ability to speak English.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM

284 posts, read 641,921 times
OMG yes i had a haitian professor once with a super strong accent ughhh

Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
One of my sons went to college with a 504 plan in place. His adviser told him that he would work with him to make sure he was enrolled in classes with native English speakers whenever possible, as he would have a difficult time otherwise. Obviously the schools know heavy accents can be a detriment to students.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM

303 posts, read 540,595 times
I had professors and TAs from various countries with many various accents. Sure, there were some words that were hard to understand but I'd probably sound even worse if I tried to speak their native language. None of them were ever mean about it, they recognized that their English wasn't great and tried hard to accommodate the students. I think it's silly though that people claim they failed a class because of a professors accent, that's ridiculous. There's many ways to work with a professor who has an accent and to work with other students in the class when you didn't understand. If you failed, you didn't try hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities