U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,611,311 times

Advertisements

i went but never graduated and since i never knew what i wanted to do i ended up with a low gpa, around 2.6-2.7, suspended for not completing a sufficient percent of classwork, etc.

what are the pros/cons to starting over and pretending im a new freshman?

can i even do that?

thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM

40,614 posts, read 32,939,151 times
Sure. Start at a new school, don't try to transfer any credits (you might not have any that are transferable).

Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM

37,414 posts, read 49,999,859 times
Can definitely be done. My best friend from college suffered clinical depression, and as a result, ended up tanking in the vast majority of his classes, taking incompletes in even the ones where he was doing well, because he just stopped going to class at various points. He was on academic probation numerous times and finally had to withdraw. Once he got his mental health attended to, he re-enrolled at another college (had been on academic probation so much at our school that it was no longer an option nor desire).

The other school did require some proof of his ability for academic success, since very few of his credits were completed and transferrable, so he had to do a couple of community college semesters first with good grades, no incompletes or course withdrawals to show he wad capable. He also had to go from a private college with an very good academic reputation and highly selective enrollment to a large state university with open enrollment and a less outstanding academic rep, but they had a decent rep as an instrumental music school, which was his thing, anyway.

It did take him a super long time to finish getting his degree, because he had essentially nothing to show for his first three years of school other than a pile of incompletes. Then he spent some time in mental health counseling to get to the root of his depression and anxiety, which was what was derailing him. Then, he had to spend two semesters in community college and a few months establishing residency in the state of the school he was transferring into, so he could pay in-state tuition. He finished his undergrad degree when he was 26, because he basically started from scratch after leaving his first school at age 21.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 11-15-2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM

11,588 posts, read 21,148,445 times
What do you mean by "start over." If you want to go back to school, go back to school. As noted above, depending on the circumstances and the length of time that has elapsed, they may start you off on a provisonal basis and/or make you take some remedial classes but there is no reason you can't go back to school. Why do you need to "pretend to be a freshman?"

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,246,059 times
People "start over" all the time, however, you will have to provide transcripts from everywhere you've ever attended. And don't think the university will not find out about your past colleges. Trust me, I have worked in an admissions office and they have their ways of knowing, especially if you are seeking financial aid. You cannot just ignore it.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM

37,414 posts, read 49,999,859 times
You'd be essentially starting over if you had few completed or transferrable credits. That may or may not be the case with the OP, not sure. OP, you'll "start over" at whatever level you have the credits for.

The other posters are correct on the provisional basis caveat (which, in the case of my aforementioned friend, included the condition of requiring him to show proof of academic success at a community college prior to enrolling, since he'd shown little at his previous college). And they definitely require prior transcripts.

But people DO "start over;" sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances, sometimes a student just isn't ready for the collegiate workload, sometimes they chose a school that was a poor fit, etc.

Another of my friends "started over" because her father died suddenly when she was about to start her sophomore year, and that kind of derailed her for a while. It took a long time to get back on track. Life happens.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 AM

3,656 posts, read 5,338,374 times
At 18 years old, tried going to college and ended up washing out. I ended up with some bad grades that followed me around. I went back about 10 years later and was able to do much better. I started with one class the first semester just to test the waters. I was able to get an A, after being pretty much a failure at 18, because I'd finally started to mature and for the first time and I wanted academic success. Eventually, I worked my way up to a masters degree.

You can retake classes, do well and they will replace the poor grade that you received before.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM

21,090 posts, read 27,311,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure. Start at a new school, don't try to transfer any credits (you might not have any that are transferable).

What they said...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,577,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i went but never graduated and since i never knew what i wanted to do i ended up with a low gpa, around 2.6-2.7, suspended for not completing a sufficient percent of classwork, etc.

what are the pros/cons to starting over and pretending im a new freshman?

can i even do that?

thanks.
As others have said, yes you can start over, and many students do for a wide variety of reasons, including that they were foolish, immature, and/or not ready to be on their own the first time around.

A gpa of 2.6-2.7 is NOT low for a student returning to school after messing up the first time. Many students who want to "start over" have gpa < 2.0 and some < 1.5. My suggestion is to talk to admissions counselor(s) at the school(s) you are interested in. Bring along your last transcript (or get one) so they have an idea of what credits you could transfer in. You definitely want to transfer in as many credits as you can because that will save you $$$.

Generally, any course that is a 100 level or higher in which you got a C or higher should transfer in at least as an elective. Some selective schools may only accept Bs or better, and many programs will only accept As or Bs in your major for transfer credit.

Good luck ... and welcome back.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,611,311 times
when i mean start over i mean pretend i never went to school to begin with and not bring any of the transcripts along with me.

i have also heard of something called academic renewal or academic bankruptcy, if more of you could opine on that, which i would be eligible for since ive been away from the school for 4 years. from what i read, they basically clear the transcript and you start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities