Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 396,147 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Need some advise here on MBA programs. Likely online option only d/t working full-time and family matters. I confess that I know very little about the MBA world out there. I am an RN with 20 years of exp, and I work in the field where clinical and aministrative duties overlap. We've recently moved to Texas, so I'm really looking for programs which will allow me to take advantage of the in-State tuition, or at least not break a bank. This will be an additional degree in my career, not a change of anything. So I'm looking for affordable, legit, but also someting that will not sound like a diploma mill on my CV. Both programs I look at are definetly legit, of course UT is probably better known. But WGU is more affordable and has MBA in healthcare track. Your feedback is much appreciated, but please keep in mind my criteria above. I'm in my 40's now, and not really looking to make a "first" impression on anyone, or to break into the field.. There are many other programs out there. Need some pointers. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,409,191 times
WGU is self-paced and will likely be cheaper if you can finish in 12-18 months. WGU is 100% virtual; it does not have a physical campus. It is truly an online school and unranked. They will make you take an online, entrance exam, but it won't be nearly as difficult as the GRE or GMAT.

Campuses like UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas are nationally ranked, although, Arlington is ranked in the bottom quartile so its rank is not published. Another bonus is that all of the UT campuses are AACSB-accredited. WGU has no programmatic accreditation for its business programs. Programmatic accreditation is usually not required in the business field, but it is a bonus and usually required to teach at AACSB-accredited schools. They will more than likely require the GMAT and maybe some prerequisites. Unfortunately, the degree granting institutions for the online MBA are not Arlington or Dallas; they are Brownsville, Permian Basin, and Pan American. At least Pan American and Permian Basin are regionally ranked.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
WGU is self-paced and will likely be cheaper if you can finish in 12-18 months. WGU is 100% virtual; it does not have a physical campus. It is truly an online school and unranked. They will make you take an online, entrance exam, but it won't be nearly as difficult as the GRE or GMAT.

Campuses like UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas are nationally ranked, although, Arlington is ranked in the bottom quartile so its rank is not published. Another bonus is that all of the UT campuses are AACSB-accredited. WGU has no programmatic accreditation for its business programs. Programmatic accreditation is usually not required in the business field, but it is a bonus and usually required to teach at AACSB-accredited schools. They will more than likely require the GMAT and maybe some prerequisites. Unfortunately, the degree granting institutions for the online MBA are not Arlington or Dallas; they are Brownsville, Permian Basin, and Pan American. At least Pan American and Permian Basin are regionally ranked.

OK L210, I appreciate this info. And this just confirms that I really know nothing about world of MBA. I read your response on another thread (WGU). Lots of helpful info there. TYVM.

Last edited by billydoc; 11-17-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Q/A

Old 11-17-2013, 03:13 PM

188 posts, read 660,213 times
I have seen several people that finished the WGU MBA in one term - and quite a few that do it in two. So it depends on if you have the time to accelerate - if you do, it could be VERY inexpensive.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
I have seen several people that finished the WGU MBA in one term - and quite a few that do it in two. So it depends on if you have the time to accelerate - if you do, it could be VERY inexpensive.

As I've said before I think WGU will be a good fit for me. I understand it may not have name recognition as some others. There are many on-campus and well-respected programs which are still not AACSB-accredited. For someone getting an MBA as a primary degree, and no work experience.... WGU MBA will not be as shiny. I get it. But w/ 20+ years in clinical and administrative nursing, and M.S degree and license to practice acupuncture I should be in good shape w/ an MBA from WGU. It's legit and cheaper than dirt compare to other programs which are not even remotely in the top (plug in your favorite ranking here). I need an MBA for mostly lateral transfers within my current company or within my industry, which is healthcare. Another option at some point may be a government job, if private sector will continue to be choked. Again, i think WGU MBA will do just fine in this instance. Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities