Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times

Advertisements

Hah, didn't read all the way to the end of the thread, and see that I'm lockstep with Drover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
neither is Kansas City particularly more exciting than Indianapolis

My stomach would disagree passionately. Mmmmn BBQ (and jazz).

That said, having spent a chunk of time in Indy, it is a useless city. No redeeming value.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Lived in KC for six years, and it's lovely, fun, interesting, and affordable. From an artistic/cultural and culinary standpoint, I'd put it ahead of Indianapolis, easily.

Sadly, for the purposes of this thread, it's not really a "college town," despite having several. Among the neighborhoods I lived in there, several were adjacent to public and private universities there, and there is really no "campus feel," no "university district," a minimal amount of obvious school pride...they're not bad schools, they're just not hugely visible or thought about much off campus. People are pretty focused on KU (hour away) and MU (nearly two hours away), and even at that rate, only from an athletic standpoint. Having a "college scene" in the college neighborhoods does not appear to be a priority of any kind in KC, from my observation. Having no world class university presence (along with minimal public transportation and a seriously foundering public ed situation) top the list of things holding KC back as a city.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Well, KC has been declining in population, sadly. I do recall there being a nicer art school there I walked through, but yeah, public transit was lacking.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,816,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Hardly...yes, there is a social justice aspect but they are certainly a "typical" American college just the same. Personally, Marquette is probably the best college on that list from an academic standpoint.
That wasn't an insult to Marquette, nor do I think Marquette is unusual for an American college.

I just meant "typical" in the sense that (from my experience) when people from abroad talk about American colleges, they don't usually picture the small liberal arts college feel which I think most Jesuit schools come closer to, they are usually thinking of that Big 10 type college thing or the Ivy thing, because that's what is normally featured in American movies and TV shows. Football games, frats, drinking, snotty rich kids, college sweatshirts, hot coeds. LOL.

Still, Marquette sounds like a good fit for the OP. Probably better than UW-Milwaulkee I think, which proabaly has more of the stuff he says he doesn't like.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM

49 posts, read 61,525 times
Yeah, I really like the look of Marquette

Kansas and Indiana are out then. Too big, fratty, etc. for me!

Anything on UTenn Knoxville? I don't think I could handle to heat or Southern life

Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Where are you coming from? Are you prepped for the cold? I did my undergrad in Minnesota, and had quite a few classes with a visiting student from Indonesia, and the poor guy was UTTERLY MISERABLE, climate-wise, for most of the year. Likewise, a friend came from India to do his grad school at University of Iowa, and stuck around in the KC area for a job when he was done. He ALWAYS squawks about the cold, and Kansas City is in no way, shape, or form regularly as cold as the icy blast you'll get coming off Lake Michigan through the winter if you go to Milwaukee.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That wasn't an insult to Marquette, nor do I think Marquette is unusual for an American college.

I just meant "typical" in the sense that (from my experience) when people from abroad talk about American colleges, they don't usually picture the small liberal arts college feel which I think most Jesuit schools come closer to, they are usually thinking of that Big 10 type college thing or the Ivy thing, because that's what is normally featured in American movies and TV shows. Football games, frats, drinking, snotty rich kids, college sweatshirts, hot coeds. LOL.

Still, Marquette sounds like a good fit for the OP. Probably better than UW-Milwaulkee I think, which proabaly has more of the stuff he says he doesn't like.
I would concur.

A point, though... I did go to a social-justicey liberal arts college (Lutheran, though, not Jesuit, but same overall deal), and we assuredly did have frats, football games, binge drinking, snotty rich kids, college sweatshirts, and hot coeds as well. Hard to avoid. But the frats were a diversion, not a way of life or pervasive culture like they are at some bigger schools, the football games were D-III and nobody really invested in them other than incidentally, there were a lot of non-snotty kids of various economic backgrounds, etc. You still get the stereotypical college experience to some degree, even at a smaller liberal arts school. Kids be kids, wherever. And, really, Marquette is reasonably large, as private schools go, and a university vs. college, which gives it a somewhat different feel than many much smaller private liberal arts colleges, too.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

49 posts, read 61,525 times
I am coming from England Very used to the cold!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
I am coming from England Very used to the cold!
I very much doubt you're used to the kind of cold you'll experience in Milwaukee or even Bloomington or Lawrence. Temperatures in the middle of the continent are not moderated by ocean currents like where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities