Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,176,387 times

Advertisements

Remember the economic crisis was engineered by people who graduated from elite schools. What does that tell you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 PM

54 posts, read 307,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Perhaps you missed my point, or I did not explain it clearly enough. Getting a good education (in many fields) is not just simple memorization, where someone can learn a list of facts, study for an hour, play 'World of Warcraft' for two hours before a test, and get all A's.... What skills does that teach a student? Having difficult tests (at least for those who are motivated) teaches students to try harder the next time. Life is not just handed to a person (where some groups think it should be). You have to earn it. If you ever did a rapid-paced high-tech startup, would realize that it takes a great deal of work and effort, and many of them fail. These difficult tests provided a means to think out of the box, take the basic information students were given in their classwork, and apply it in new ways. It's called 'creativeness, innovation and insight'. That learning experience continues to grow and strengthen long after college.

You are obsessed with "start ups". Some people work at companies other than your "start ups"....

Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,202,503 times
This whole problem rests on this question: Is a grade supposed to measure how well a student knows material independent of everyone else or is a grade supposed to measure how well a student knows material in relation to everyone else? If the former is your choice, and it's mine, then grade inflation is not a big issue. If the latter's your choice, then grade inflation is cause by straying from an average of 75% in each class. I don't know what advantage there is in competitive grading though. You don't have to know the most about a subject, you just have to know about it.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,468,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperblack View Post
You are obsessed with "start ups". Some people work at companies other than your "start ups"....
2/3ds of the companies I used to work for were Fortune 50's.... and the same opinions applied... Any other inaccurate conjectures?

The pre-filtering process tends to skew the cross section of the individuals attending a school, as of those getting a job, as of those getting less expensive car insurance, as about any other area (though it is never guaranteed, and mistakes can be made).

Forcing a distribution of results (such as a bell-curve), on a group of anything (people, students, whatever) that are initially chosen from a highly-specific set of criteria does two things: 1). performs a disservice to the students, and 2). for those commenting nf the results, being outside the process of the details on how the results were derived, run the risk of making erroneous conclusions.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:48 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,539,461 times
It would make more sense to me if a school like Harvard abolished grades and then made every class pass/fail. Set the pass at the "A" level. Just getting a degree from Harvard is enough of an accomplishment. Grades are silly at that point, let the kids focus on learning for the pure enjoyment of learning.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,799,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
It would make more sense to me if a school like Harvard abolished grades and then made every class pass/fail. Set the pass at the "A" level. Just getting a degree from Harvard is enough of an accomplishment. Grades are silly at that point, let the kids focus on learning for the pure enjoyment of learning.
Are you kidding me?

When they apply to graduate schools, how can the schools know they are good or bad?
If there is no exam (or score), how do you know the students really understand the formulas and principles?

Also it is extremely unfair for those who work hard.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM

14 posts, read 21,016 times
There was a Duke professor who did an in depth study of this a few years ago. The consensus: Schools HAVE to inflate grades so that their students can be competitive.

They want their grads to get the best jobs, the best paying jobs so that they can become contributing Alumn. This may have less of an impact on ivys, but I suspect it still plays a role. It may be hard for a hiring manager to compare the curriculum between two different grads from different schools, but they sure can understand a 4.0 scale.

Go here and see the overall increase in average GPA since the 1930's. Outstanding! Especially in private schools.
http://www.gradeinflation.com/tcr2010grading.pdf

Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 PM

14 posts, read 21,016 times
I find it particularly interesting that the students at flagship campuses receive higher than anticipated grades than their satellite campus cohorts for what we can safely assume is identical curriculum.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,880,184 times
I graduated from FIU just before they changed, i.e. lowered, their standards so grades were equivalent to FSU and UF. They reasoning was companies looking at graduate GPAs would prefer the high scoring ones.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,880,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I was a TA and most of my students got a C. The supervisor asked me to make more As and Bs.

My experience as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities