Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,767,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
you have proven that a 100 scale is a finer scale (i.e. can carry more information) than a 4.0 scale, but you have not proven that it is a better deterrent to grade inflation -- if everybody can get an 'A' then everybody can get a 95. in other words, the scale does not cause grade inflation -- common practice does.
No, professors will not give everyone 95, because it is impossible to control things that way; though they "may" give everyone an A. The dean will certainly talk to the professor if everyone gets 95 exactly.
It is a psychological phenomenon too.

One reason why there is inflation is that everyone perceives a gap between A and B. However with a 100 scale, the gap disappears. There is no "clear" boundary between a good score and a so-so score.
Of course with a 100 scale scores can still be inflated, but at least (1) there is more variance and (2) the motivation of inflation can be eliminated "to some extent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What does it matter? Isn't Harvard one of only 15 or so universities that are worth attending?
Well, a computer science major from Iowa State University still makes more money than a sociology major from Harvard, on average. (If we consider money only.)

Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Well, a computer science major from Iowa State University still makes more money than a sociology major from Harvard, on average. (If we consider money only.)
That doesn't sound accurate.

Maybe if you just compare the people who stopped at a terminal bachelors in Sociology from Harvard, but hardly any of them do I would imagine, so it's not accurate.

If you truly took each individual who had those degrees, I would imagine it's a landslide.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That doesn't sound accurate.

Maybe if you just compare the people who stopped at a terminal bachelors in Sociology from Harvard, but hardly any of them do I would imagine, so it's not accurate.

If you truly took each individual who had those degrees, I would imagine it's a landslide.
Some CS students go to graduate school too (though it is not very helpful money-wise.)

When a Harvard sociology student finishes law school (presumably), an ISU computer science student already gets promoted to senior engineer and makes 6 figure salary. He may start his own company as well.

However, I understand many Harvard students have good family connections, but we are not talking about that.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
When a Harvard sociology student finishes law school (presumably), an ISU computer science student already gets promoted to senior engineer and makes 6 figure salary. He may start his own company as well.
You have absolutely no grasp of how things work in the real world.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You have absolutely no grasp of how things work in the real world.
I am in my 30s and worked in three countries, lived in 4 states in the US.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:38 AM

505 posts, read 765,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck.mecha View Post
I find it particularly interesting that the students at flagship campuses receive higher than anticipated grades than their satellite campus cohorts for what we can safely assume is identical curriculum.
Not really surprising since the students at the flagship tend to have better stats (HS GPA/standardized test scores) going in.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Where do you get this info from?

Lots of Sociology majors from Harvard go on to work on Wall Street, for consulting firms, at startups, or attend top MBA or law programs. An ISU grad wouldn't even get looked at for most of those jobs, and all of those are paths to making a lot more than a CS major from Iowa State.

People with degrees from the most elite schools generally get hired because of the school they attended, not because of their specific major.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I went to Poly and of the thousands of engineers who graduated the year I did, only a few had GPA's over 3.7. perhaps 10-20 of 1-2,000 kids.

The one kid I knew who had a super high GPA didn't put much effort into it. He was also smarter than some of the teachers teaching the classes. He was a complete freak. I tried like hell and got a 3.3 overall and a 3.8 in my major. I think he got like a 3.9 or something which was unheard of for the school.

I then asked what my friend got at his school. He received a 3.9X in his major from eastern Michigan in exercise science or something like that? He would measure and train athletes to increase performance. I asked him how does he measure the performance difference (I was getting at the null and alternative hypothesis testing with a 90-95+% confidence). He didn't even know what I was talking about.
This is so true about engineers. There seems to be a lot less grade inflation in engineering programs so the GPA is actually useful to see who is truly a standout.

Unfortunately, it works against engineers when they apply to MBA programs or law schools and have to compete against a large number of non-engineers with inflated GPAs.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,456 times
Grades inflated - they still own your life.

Sucks to suck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities