Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,789,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Where do you get this info from?

Lots of Sociology majors from Harvard go on to work on Wall Street, for consulting firms, at startups, or attend top MBA or law programs. An ISU grad wouldn't even get looked at for most of those jobs, and all of those are paths to making a lot more than a CS major from Iowa State.

People with degrees from the most elite schools generally get hired because of the school they attended, not because of their specific major.
You are talking about 20 years ago. No one hires for where you graduated any more.

What can a sociology student do on Wall Street? Instead, Wall Street hires thousands of computer scientists. They make a little less than finance people there, but still way above $100k with several years of experience.

CS students are not particularly interested in the jobs you described either. Google, Amazon, Apple etc. pay 100k starting salaries for master students. Also in engineering field, prestige of your school is less important (compared to other majors), unless you want to work in academia.

Last edited by Bettafish; 12-27-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,800,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is a fight against this among MBA programs today (not the exact topic, I know, but relevant). The top 15 or so MBA programs refuse to let students put their GPA on their resume any more. Recruiters require GMAT scores instead, since it is the same across all schools. When I as applying for post-MBA jobs, recruiters would only look at GMAT scores, case study competitions and interviews to give out jobs.

Interesting...except that they take GMAT before entrance, so there is then no way to assess how they did IN the program. Just looks at test taking strength. And most kids in these top programs have very high GMAT scores. But I do remember (going to a top 10 full time MBA program) that a B+ was considered not-so-good and a B- was *barely* passing. C+ was like, you failed the class, but we don't make students repeat the class.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,232,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You are talking about 20 years ago. No one hires for where you graduated any more.

What can a sociology student do on Wall Street? Instead, Wall Street hires thousands of computer scientists. They make a little less than finance people there, but still way above $100k with several years of experience.

CS students are not particularly interested in the jobs you described either. Google, Amazon, Apple etc. pay 100k starting salaries for master students. Also in engineering field, prestige of your school is less important (compared to other majors), unless you want to work in academia.
I can back this up. The average starting salary of my MBA was $102k the year I graduated. And as someone working on Wall Street, we don't have many sociology majors. My coworkers are 95% finance, accounting or computer science. We hire a lot of liberal arts majors as admins and assistants, but those aren't the 100k jobs we are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Interesting...except that they take GMAT before entrance, so there is then no way to assess how they did IN the program. Just looks at test taking strength. And most kids in these top programs have very high GMAT scores. But I do remember (going to a top 10 full time MBA program) that a B+ was considered not-so-good and a B- was *barely* passing. C+ was like, you failed the class, but we don't make students repeat the class.
They rely on interviews, work done during internships and case competitions to tell how you do while you are a student. People don't become smarter during a program, they just learn more, so a GMAT score is still a decent idea of how smart someone is. You are right about grades though. I graduated from a top school a few years ago and it is basically a pass/fail system. A's are passing with honors, B's are passing and a C is failing.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 AM

505 posts, read 766,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Lots of Harvard kids with "soft" majors are at Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, PE firms etc. Same thing with top MBA and law programs. Not so many Iowa State CS majors...

First year I-bankers make over $100k, and much more than that several years down the road. Starting salary for grads of top law schools (where Harvard undergrads are likely to end up) is $160k.

I bet there are more Harvard grads at Google than Iowa State grads too...

I'd love to see some data that shows ISU CS majors make more than Harvard grads, especially over the long-term.

Ivy Leaguers' Big Edge: Starting Pay - WSJ.com

Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,789,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Lots of Harvard kids with "soft" majors are at Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, PE firms etc. Same thing with top MBA and law programs. Not so many Iowa State CS majors...

First year I-bankers make over $100k, and much more than that several years down the road. Starting salary for grads of top law schools (where Harvard undergrads are likely to end up) is $160k.

I bet there are more Harvard grads at Google than Iowa State grads too...

I'd love to see some data that shows ISU CS majors make more than Harvard grads, especially over the long-term.

Ivy Leaguers' Big Edge: Starting Pay - WSJ.com
We are talking about Harvard sociology majors, not Harvard Finance, MBA or law school graduates. Harvard has a computer science department too, and it is definitely better than ISU's. Don't change the topic.

I studied at a top university too, and it would be naive to assume every liberal arts student goes to law school or even graduate school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities