Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM

39 posts, read 73,940 times

Advertisements

New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM

270 posts, read 704,086 times
Get into Computer Science or HR, logistics, etc. My cousin works for Amazon as a HR manager (oversees a new warehouse in TX) and one of her friend is working for Google with a computer science degree. Both of them are making over 100k.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Look into the top 2 boxes at this link for the state colleges - these are typically going to be more cost effective than a private non-profit and definitely more than a private for-profit if you are looking to obtain a degree

State of NJ - Office of the Secretary of Higher Education

Although it looks like NJ has a somewhat limited online program offering through most of their universities with the major funnel going through Edison for adult education

If you took the full 120 credits at Edison over 5 years with nothing transferring in, not testing out of classes or petitioning for class waivers due to experience the estimated cost is about $30k ......... still a big commitment, but less than the $50k from a place like Phoenix and it will be better tied to the state

Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Finger lake your awesome. Great info

If i decide to go the It route, Which of the following places would it be better to attend

Computer Training NJ (New Jersey), Computer Schools NJ (New Jersey), Computer Training Schools New Jersey (NJ)

IT and Software Development Training Programs | Middlesex County College

I kinda feel like if i take IT courses i should go to class instead of online ?? Whats your thoughts

Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,914 times
I would DEFINITELY recommend IT over business management/admin. I'm not sure about the PC AGE school.

CSU Global
They have several other degrees, including IT Management and IT Operations.

My mom, a nurse, just finished her Master's in Nursing Informatics. It's basically IT for Nursing. President Obama mandated that all hospital records have to go into the computer. So, they are looking for people to do that.

And again, if you decide that college may not be the best option, I recommend the Cisco route. They get paid well. You can also try becoming CompTIA certified or Microsoft certified.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM

pinkmani thanks

Thats what the pc age school is. If you look at the site its for cisco and A+ cert. You could transfer 42 credits to thomas edison college towards your associates degree. I like your idea but studying myself with out any type of class might now be the best idea. I would have no hands on or direction.

Below is the county college online prep

Cisco® CCNA® Certification Training - Instructor | Middlesex County College

Computer Training NJ (New Jersey), Computer Schools NJ (New Jersey), Computer Training Schools New Jersey (NJ)
is a full course that the dredit can be transfered

Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,254,928 times
I'll just toss this out for possible consideration. My daughter is a pharmacist. She graduated in '96, and she and her classmates all had multiple offers to work immediately, all in the mid-$70s to low $80s. Again that was in '96. I don't know what it would be today.

She chose Walgreens, and within a few months she was a pharmacy manager, then in about 2 years a district manager in charge of about 25 Walgreen pharmacies. Pay didn't skyrocket, but it went up some, and she got perks such as profit sharing, a company car, and stock options.

I mention it because it's a profession that pays well immediately upon graduation (what you want), and it doesn't take forever to get a degree. You do have to be a good student, however. I think when she applied to the pharma college at U of Wyoming, they were only accepting about 1 in 20 applicants. When she attended it was possible to graduate in 4 years. She ended up attending for 5 but got a double major and worked as a research assistant the last year. She also worked part time during school at a local drug store as a pharmacy tech, which paid fairly well.

I don't think there's any way you could major in pharmacy while working another job full-time, however; but if you're book smart, it isn't a bad profession. (I kick myself for not getting into it when my daughter suggested it.)

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So Business or Accounting or Human Resources... something along those lines might be a place to start. Build on your work experience.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
math isn't hard, it just requires doing problems over and over at least three times to grasp it. trust me, id know. im 29 myself and back in school and out of my own state studying. if you stay where you are, just get a degree in what you want but id suggest something in science,math, engineering or IT. stay focused and do it. I was in cellular sales a long time and it sucks seeing a 70k/yr job drop to min wage but my sacrifice is worth it. folks at the big U wont see you as their friends but you aren't there for that. that alone took me a long time to get over.
Engineering is heavy on abstract math, which many people find harder than something like accounting or business math. If you like solving puzzles, IT is may be your dish, and it's not nearly as math intensive as engineering, although it could be.

If you're in an area where there's a community college, you might want to start there. Most CCs accept anybody with a pulse. They'll probably give you placement tests that will determine if you need read and/or math help. The courses are not necessarily easier but the faculty is more focused on teaching rather than research, the classes tend to be smaller, and the schools themselves tend to be smaller. Almost everybody is a commuter at a CC, and there are many more "non traditional" (ie, adult) students who are working, so you should find it easier to "fit in" than at the local state college where 95% of the students are < 23.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,453,524 times
I would suggest something specialized, like a two year program in a healthcare field or a trade that's in demand. A 4 year degree really doesn't get you anywhere in a hurry these days unless it's in something that's really hard like engineering or accounting. Anything fun or interesting requires a graduate degree, if you want to make money. A lot of people make the mistake of getting a 4 year degree in something very broad like business or communications. Those types of degrees will only get your foot in the door, but don't expect to be making any real money right out of the gate. The key word in your situation is "specialize." Healthcare programs are extremely competitive to get into these days; however, you can expect to make a livable wage the second you're licensed. They take about 4 years from start to finish for most people. A year or so of prerequisites followed by a two year program with some waiting time in between. Trade programs don't require the prerequisites typically, as long as you meet the requirements in regards to reading, writing, and general math. Some people have to take a class or two before they get accepted. You can expect to make a livable wage within the first year or so after you get licensed in a field like HVAC or plumbing. Also Linman shools offer top paying jobs in demand, if you're willing to travel. I have a friend that makes over 100k a year in that field.

good luck, and if you do wish to take on a challenging degree like Engineering, don't be intimidated, as you will find that school is much easier as an adult than it was as a kid.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goretex101 View Post
So phoenix is not a good school ?? I need online courses due to my full time schedule ? I work between 50 - 60 hours a week in retail.
Most CCs and state colleges/universities offer online classes and degrees. They will cost you a fraction of what Phoenix will charge you and will come with a better reputation.

If you register for six or more credit hours in the same term, you may qualify for some financial aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities