Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 AM

333 posts, read 977,501 times

Advertisements

I'm going for a sonography degree and college algebra is a requirement. My question is i'm at basic algebra level. Any idea how many math classes i'll have to take to get to the college algebra level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
I'm going for a sonography degree and college algebra is a requirement. My question is i'm at basic algebra level. Any idea how many math classes i'll have to take to get to the college algebra level?
Usually the course description will give you any pre-requiste classes needed before hand. Your certificate or degree plan will have all the classes required.

If your SATs were good enough in math, you may just need to take the Algebra class. If they were not so good, you may need to take a refresher basic math course before moving to Alegbra.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Can't really answer that without knowing what you are doing in your class now and what the college level class requires. Talk to someone in the math department at your school.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Quote:
Did you take a placement test at your school?

How did you do in Math on the SAT?

Like others said, we don't have enough detail, but I estimate you will only need 1 prealgebra/remedial type class before you can take the college version.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Did you take a placement test at your school?

How did you do in Math on the SAT?

Like others said, we don't have enough detail, but I estimate you will only need 1 prealgebra/remedial type class before you can take the college version.
This seems right. It depends upon how much math the OP took in HS as well. 3 years of HS math should get someone into College Algebra without any remedial class unless you took it years ago and need a refresher.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:09 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
If your college allows it, register for college algebra without taking basic algebra. You will learn everything you need to pass the class. Most colleges dont have formal pre requisites for college algebra.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
"College algebra" is a continuation of "algebra II" (from high school) and geometry with stats, trig, and an introduction to a few slightly more advanced algebraic topics thrown in. It is essentially pre-calc.

"Algebra" is a remedial course. It is essentially a review of what should have been covered in high school algebra I, geometry, and algebra II courses.

Really, you should be able to move into college algebra next semester considering you satisfactorily pass algebra. So that would be one course.

Or you can do what I did: brush up on your math skills at home on your own time, retake the placement test, and place into calculus. You might be able to "test out of" college algebra and not be required to take any math, as was the case with my first university. I still had to take calculus, though.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM

315 posts, read 564,000 times
I took 5 math classes for 3 years at Community College, please know I failed the placement test for math horrifically:

2 remedial classes:
MATH 015 - Pre-Algebra (easy)
MATH 025 - Elementary Algebra (easy)

3 Credit courses:
MATH 151 - Intermediate Algebra
MATH 152 - College Algebra and Trigonometry
MATH 153 - Pre - Calc

I would ASSUME it goes something like that at many CC, but I am not too sure. I would suggest looking in the Catalog or emailing an Advisor. It should tell you the Pre-reqs for the class you NEED to take on the syllabus for College Algebra. This is ALL assuming you pass the math courses, though I am sure if someone as stupid as me got through it you could to

Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM

333 posts, read 977,501 times
I'm going to community college, and I placed at Math 065 Basic Algebra. I did my highschool stuff through a distant learning Christian "home-school" type thing, and I didn't need the college algebra to graduate, so that's why my algebra placement is low. I would be taking the basic algebra this spring semester that's about to start.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
I'm going to community college, and I placed at Math 065 Basic Algebra. I did my highschool stuff through a distant learning Christian "home-school" type thing, and I didn't need the college algebra to graduate, so that's why my algebra placement is low. I would be taking the basic algebra this spring semester that's about to start.
Depending upon how well you do, you may be able to take College Algebra next fall, but it depends upon your school's sequence for remedial math. As other posters said, check the catalog to see the prereqs for College Algebra. If all you need is Math 065, then you're home free if you pass it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities