Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,419,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
FAFSA isn't due yet so she is just fine. There is no need to go to a community college. "You're FASA summited" deadlines are anywhere from March-August.

Right! the deadline is sometime in Feb. Ok, cool. I was thinking more about the money, lol. thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,597,884 times
I'm not really sure why you can't apply from where you are. Both SAT and ACT are given internationally (although the deadlines for that have probably already passed). Also, not all schools require SAT. What you should do is identify which schools you want to go to, and look closely at their admission policies and deadlines. You may still have time to submit your information if you work quickly. Also, sometimes you can have most of an application complete and only be missing one thing and they might still consider you (if the school is not too competitive). But as some have pointed out, the optimal time for consideration for financial aid is usually early.

You should do everything you can do now, and not wait.

If you can't gain admission for next year, then you can still go to community college for a year - their deadlines tend to be later, and they aren't competitive. At the very least, you might work and take one or two easily transferable courses in order to get some requirements out of the way before you go to a four year school the following year. However, you should still fill out all the forms and take SAT as soon as possible, because even though it isn't usually required for community college they do have placement tests and remedial courses, and a good SAT score can make sure that you do not end up taking those remedial courses. Again, check policies carefully ahead of time.

And one other possibility - can you go to college in the country you are in?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 21,513,680 times
What country are you currently living in? Could you attend undergrad there? If you're in, say, the UK, you can often use your A level scores in lieu of SAT/ACT scores in the US.

You do need to get moving FAST. The university I work for and most of our peer institutions had a deadline of January 1 for all fall admissions. The rest of our peer schools have a deadline of Feb 1. Even UMass (a state school in the Northeast like you indicated you are interested in) passed its deadline a few days ago on January 15. The second tier state schools seem to have a deadline of February 15.

If I were you, I'd be having serious conversations with my parents and school counselors right now.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,597,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
A lot of schools have rolling admission and will still have openings late in the spring; one that I think of immediately is Mercy college.

Also at this point, beggars (not sure if that is spelled right lol) can't be choosers. If you want to go to school asap and cannot get all of the paper work done than look into community college. Many community colleges in the Northeast region have housing. Right off the bat I think of Ulster, OCCC, Dutchess, and Bourough of Manhattan Community College I believe. (Can you tell I'm from NY?) There are options.

I would fill out the fafsa immediately, when I was applying for schools I was told to put down schools that I might be interested in even if my application wasn't done- this may give you a shot at merit and need based aid that you may jot have a shot at if you wait long.
Dutchess has housing now?? I wish they'd had it when I went there! Honestly, that CC was better than the top 4 year school I transferred to afterward.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:54 AM

919 posts, read 1,695,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Dutchess has housing now?? I wish they'd had it when I went there! Honestly, that CC was better than the top 4 year school I transferred to afterward.

They do! It isn't a lot. I think its like 150 suite/apartment style housing units. Each holds 4/6 people! And its only the main campus!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 19,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You haven't missed the deadlines for all colleges! The list in this link is from last year, but it shouldn't be much different this year: List of Late Deadline Schools- Locate Colleges with Late Application Deadlines at Petersons.com

Merit aid is a different story. I'd suggest brushing up on the different kinds of financial aid: Student financial aid in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for the link its very hlepful

Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What country are you currently living in? Could you attend undergrad there? If you're in, say, the UK, you can often use your A level scores in lieu of SAT/ACT scores in the US.

You do need to get moving FAST. The university I work for and most of our peer institutions had a deadline of January 1 for all fall admissions. The rest of our peer schools have a deadline of Feb 1. Even UMass (a state school in the Northeast like you indicated you are interested in) passed its deadline a few days ago on January 15. The second tier state schools seem to have a deadline of February 15.

If I were you, I'd be having serious conversations with my parents and school counselors right now.
I am in haiti its where im from but I dont want to go to college here

Old 01-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
https://fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm

Here is the link to the FAFSA. You really need to do your applications first because you need to add the schools that need to get your FAFSA information on the FAFSA application. I would get a list of schools done in the next couple days and get the applications in within the week. Many of these schools are on the common application, https://www.commonapp.org/Login so you can fill out one application and apply to several schools at once.

Do you have any idea what you want to study in college or where in the US you want to go to school? Two schools on the test optional list that I know of that are generous with financial aid are Dickinson in PA and Gustavus in MN. Both are good schools in smaller towns. I'm sure other people here will have some suggestions for you as well.
I was hoping I could do a pre-med major because at this point I want to go to medical school.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM

Yeah without substantial finacial aid I will not be able to afford a 4 year college.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM

when I come back to the States I will land in Florida meaning if I want to go to school in the Northeast I will not be a resident there and I will have to pay more for the community college. Also I will be a first generation college student so a lot of this stuff is foreingn to me . school counselors are not always as helpful as you would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities