Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times

Advertisements

I would like to have a meaningful discussion about the "entitlement" generation and the problem with many young people pursuing degrees that are not marketable.

Young people today seem to think that Degree = Job and with the increasing number of people going to college the job market is more competitive than ever. What can be done to encourage young people to pursue degrees that will land them a job after college? This issue does not seem to be covered enough. These conversations are not being had at the high school level. I think parents are partly to blame because a lot don't realize how drastically the job market has changed over the years. High schools don't encourage kids to take something marketable, they encourage them to take something "fun" or "interesting". Colleges don't care what you take as long as they get your money.

There are too many kids graduating and crying they can't get a job because they got a BS in Psychology. What can be done? Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
You want a meaningful discussion but make sweeping over-generalizations (like High schools don't encourage kids to take something marketable, they encourage them to take something "fun" or "interesting". Colleges don't care what you take as long as they get your money) which suggest a particular agenda? Sorry, not playing.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You want a meaningful discussion but make sweeping over-generalizations (like High schools don't encourage kids to take something marketable, they encourage them to take something "fun" or "interesting". Colleges don't care what you take as long as they get your money) which suggest a particular agenda? Sorry, not playing.
Sounds like the best thing to do....

Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 AM

That has been my experience with high schools in colleges. Nobody I know personally was encouraged during high school to pursue degrees that were marketable. It was never explained what degrees were in demand locally or abroad. They simply asked you what you were interested in and that was the end of it.

Also colleges don't take the time to explain to students that the degree they are pursuing might not land them a job after college. Average salaries and things like that aren't part of the discussion either.

I don't understand are you refuting these claims? I realize the speech was a bit inflammatory but if you have a counter-point I would love to hear it. I'm not trolling here. Locally it is a huge problem. All of the people I know with computer science and enginnering degrees had no problems finding jobs. People with Psych or Photography degrees are still working in restaurants.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
Let's be real here. If every young adult leaving high school were to major in something practical like electrical engineering or computer science, we'll watch the wages drop like a rock for those disciplines as well. The root of the issue is that there aren't enough living wage jobs in the country to go around. Period.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Let's be real here. If every young adult leaving high school were to major in something practical like electrical engineering or computer science, we'll watch the wages drop like a rock for those disciplines as well. The root of the issue is that there aren't enough living wage jobs in the country to go around. Period.
But the mentality I get from young people is that they think degree = job and nobody at the high school or college level refutes that for them. When I was in high school 7 years ago I was lucky enough to have my parents push me towards a career field that was in demand. I had many friends pursue useless degrees and many of them are working in local restaurants or jobs that are completely unrelated to their degree. I guess with kids living with their parents until they are 30 it really doesn't matter...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There are other reasons for going to college besides getting a good job. There are still people going for the social aspects. Others go because they want to learn something different that they are interested in, but not necessarily to work in that field. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you have the money to pay for it and are independently wealthy or happy to work for a low-wage job after graduation. Many of those that take college very seriously as a path to a great career are victims of change. The major they choose which may be in great demand when they start college can be over-saturated by the time they graduate. Some degrees such as the one mentioned initially, psychology,
are not enough for the career, advanced degrees are required, but they may be a good
general degree when combined with work experience in many seemingly unrelated jobs.
Study of motivation and learning, personality, statistical analysis, and research methodology are all helpful to supervisors, managers, management analysts and
other jobs. The problem at this time is trying to get any experience with only that degree and so much competition for every job.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Who are you to claim which majors are useless?

I majored in English Literature as an undergrad. A degree many would consider unpractical. However, I am gainfully employed as a writer and my employer is paying for me to go to grad school to get my MS in professional writing (business/tech).

Not every degree people assume is bs actually turns out to be bs.

I wasn't entitled to a job. I have work experience from the age of 15 and wonderful references.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Who are you to claim which majors are useless?

I majored in English Literature as an undergrad. A degree many would consider unpractical. However, I am gainfully employed as a writer and my employer is paying for me to go to grad school to get my MS in professional writing (business/tech).

Not every degree people assume is bs actually turns out to be bs.

I wasn't entitled to a job. I have work experience from the age of 15 and wonderful references.

I'm not the one declaring that the majors are useless, the job market is. Im happy that you're gainfully employed but that doesn't mean that average salary and market demand shouldn't be factored into someones choice of major. My observation is that more often than not it isn't and you have a lot of otherwise smart, and now educated people unable to find gainful employment.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I'm not the one declaring that the majors are useless, the job market is. Im happy that you're gainfully employed but that doesn't mean that average salary and market demand shouldn't be factored into someones choice of major. My observation is that more often than not it isn't and you have a lot of otherwise smart, and now educated people unable to find gainful employment.
MANY people want to do what they love to do. Not what brings home to bacon. I'd rather be smart and educated in field I enjoyed than miserable making 200k a year in a job I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities