Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times

Advertisements

It's been my experience that colleges only really deal with extreme cases of underage drinking...if the kicked everyone out that drank underage they wouldn't have anyone left in classes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well we can agree to disagree. For the record, my daughter is in college right now, in my department. I can see exactly how much they changed. And I also teach as an adjunct both at the CC and uni level.

I thought I stated that in the post you quoted but if you want me to say it again I can.

Lets start with an obvious one. The consequences of underage drinking are vastly different now than they were 20 years ago. That is fact. Twenty years ago, students got a slap on the wrist from the campus police. Many schools now tie scholarships to not getting in trouble with drinking while underage.

Another simple one. In many schools, large classes (i.e. bio 101, calc 1, and so on) now require exams to be given all at once (to prevent cheating) and on Saturdays or Sundays when most students do not have exams.

Computer lab hours, study groups, tutoring, is most available without long waits on the weekends. A little hard to get up Saturday morning to go get time for X if you were partying until 4am.

I thought we were talking about partying specifically? Socializing, is a vastly different animal.

Partying, implies alcohol, hangovers, very late nights, and so on.

Socializing need not include any of those.

And lets be clear, nearly 50% of students feel they do not have enough time to do their schools work, 88% do not have good time management skills. Maybe we shouldn't be encouraging them to party since at least half don't have the skill even you think are required to manage partying.

College students struggle with organizational skills

A lot of what you said makes sense, although not the case at my school, or any of the schools I was accepted to, I see how drinking could be an issue. However, if a student is responsible enough to party then I don't see an issue. Everyone who parties doesn't get black out drunk and vandalize property nor does it automatically mean hangovers and going to bes at 4 am. To be clear I have been to bed at 3/4 am on a school day while not partying.

Personally, this is my second semester of school and the first semester I went out on the weekends, held a job, and got a 3.64 GPA. I find that the bulk of people I know balance going out once or twice a week on a weekend with school work and jobs as I do. Again, its all about time management. You throw this huge # at us and you do provide a link but I think school culture plays a big role as well. Like if I know I'm going out Saturday night I'll do laundry, homework, housekeeping etc throughout the day...

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
15 years ago. I, too, would have forfeited my scholarships had I been convictrd of underage drinking. Not a problem, as I didn't drink underage. Not all drinking is illegal or underage. Or irresponsible. I wasn't an irresponsible drinker when I was a student, and I'm not now. I never vandalized property or experienced any of the legal drinking I did impacting my academic performance. Students are capable of drinking both legally and responsibly.
I never said it wasn't possible to behave responsibly, that is a complete and utter straw man.

What I said, and the numbers say, is that most kids do not have the ability to party all weekend and do their best when it comes yo their education.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
A lot of what you said makes sense, although not the case at my school, or any of the schools I was accepted to, I see how drinking could be an issue. However, if a student is responsible enough to party then I don't see an issue. Everyone who parties doesn't get black out drunk and vandalize property nor does it automatically mean hangovers and going to bes at 4 am. To be clear I have been to bed at 3/4 am on a school day while not partying.

Personally, this is my second semester of school and the first semester I went out on the weekends, held a job, and got a 3.64 GPA. I find that the bulk of people I know balance going out once or twice a week on a weekend with school work and jobs as I do. Again, its all about time management. You throw this huge # at us and you do provide a link but I think school culture plays a big role as well. Like if I know I'm going out Saturday night I'll do laundry, homework, housekeeping etc throughout the day...
I suspect it is as much, if not more so, a function of major and degree. Reality is there are easier degrees, that fundamentally require less out of class work and other commitments.

Someone majoring in chemical engineering is just going to have more to do than someone say in an education major.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
I usually go out two times a week.

There's been nights I went out more, but sometimes less. The key is balance.

If you like to party, get into it. I have met the most people this way, and I barely drink (I look like a saint compared to my peers). You will have some interesting experiences... but of course, keep the drinking to a minimum. Actually, I have made best friends from meeting at parties. Other options are to join clubs or organizations on campus. Jobs on campus too. Intramural sports too.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I suspect it is as much, if not more so, a function of major and degree. Reality is there are easier degrees, that fundamentally require less out of class work and other commitments.

Someone majoring in chemical engineering is just going to have more to do than someone say in an education major.
Maybe yes, maybe no...depends on the student...

I think you are over-exaggerating how much time students need to dedicate to their studies and you are utterly false that they need to devote all of their free time to their studies. I think you also need to realize that MOST college students are NOT getting falling down drunk every Friday, every Saturday and I know of no college age kids that have tests on weekends. Maybe they do at your school but that is NOT the norm. At most college campuses have other things to do then party all the time too, so kids can go to plays, concerts, movies, etc. and not have to be drunk. There are also some weeks that are just busier than others so sometimes kids can go out, sometimes they can't. Looking at our kids if you want to use personal examples, they find plenty of time to go out with friends and have fun, but they also have done a great job with their school work and their high GPA's attest to that. Given they are both STEM majors (double major in Bio and Chem for one and triple major in math, computer science and econ for the other) it's not like they are majoring in easy courses, not to mention varsity athletics too boot.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 AM

89 posts, read 202,635 times
I did little party in my college, and I think I'm the people who is not very keen on social activities, and I just jointed the yoga club very week for my fitness, and I never regret doing less party in my college life.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
These first two questions are in the past tense, if you're in college currently then the present tense can be assumed.

Did you party in college? (If so, how often?)

Do you wish you would've partied more/less than you did?

What are the best activities/ways to have good social life in college?
I partied quite a bit. I went out almost every day.

I'm happy with how much I partied.

The best way to have a good social life is to meet everyone and try out all the activities they are interested in. The exposure to all sorts of different people and activities helps you understand what you enjoy. I made life-long friends while participating partying, and non-partying activities.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 AM

301 posts, read 804,260 times
Current student

Did you party in college? (If so, how often?) Somewhat. Depends on the semester. I don't drink, but I do like to go out. Last semester I went out maybe 2-3 times a week. Other semesters only once every few weeks or so.

Do you wish you would've partied more/less than you did? No, not really. After a while, I got pretty tired of going out all of the time last semester to bars and clubs. So, now I go out a lot less to bars and clubs. I'm more inclined to do movie nights and dinner plans with my friends instead.

What are the best activities/ways to have good social life in college? I met my best friends my freshman year on my hallway in the dorms. We got involved with the random activities available on campus (such as racquetball at the gym or free bowling sponsored by the school) and watched movies, got coffee, chips, salsa... We had homework parties. Just kind of a bit of everything.

I personally am a big church person, so I really got into my church. If you're the least bit religious, I really recommend it, because the church is a great place for you as a whole person. I've gotten to know people through volunteering for homeless ministries, pizza nights, and other activities that my church does. Usually anytime there's an activity at church, we go out for dinner or drinks afterwards. And during the week, it's pretty easy to call up people and ask if anyone wants to do anything.

Really there's no right "way" to making friends in college. You just have to do what makes you happy and what interests you.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no...depends on the student...

I think you are over-exaggerating how much time students need to dedicate to their studies and you are utterly false that they need to devote all of their free time to their studies.
Again another straw man. I never said they need to devote ALL of their time.

Quote:
I think you also need to realize that MOST college students are NOT getting falling down drunk every Friday, every Saturday and I know of no college age kids that have tests on weekends.
No only about 40% of college students surveyed by NIDA admit to binge drinking in college. But far more telling is the FACT that 80% of college students drink, 88% say they have a hard time managing their time, and it is effecting their coursework.

Quote:
Maybe they do at your school but that is NOT the norm.
40% is definitely within the realm of "normal"

Quote:
At most college campuses have other things to do then party all the time too, so kids can go to plays, concerts, movies, etc. and not have to be drunk. There are also some weeks that are just busier than others so sometimes kids can go out, sometimes they can't. Looking at our kids if you want to use personal examples,
I haven't, I have supported everyone of my statements about the effects of drinking with peer reviewed research.

Quote:
they find plenty of time to go out with friends and have fun, but they also have done a great job with their school work and their high GPA's attest to that. Given they are both STEM majors (double major in Bio and Chem for one and triple major in math, computer science and econ for the other) it's not like they are majoring in easy courses, not to mention varsity athletics too boot.
That's great. Clearly they are in the 12% who do not think drinking is affecting their studies, but they are actually the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities