Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM

678 posts, read 697,191 times

Advertisements

I need some recommendations for schools I'm moving to New York to get involved in fashion. As a avid fashion follower I know the competition is heavy. But I will be going to community college first and as I get involved I want to be in journalism. I want to do both but I don't know how?? Do I double major with fashion and journalism. I don't want to be a designer I want to work with the magazines and online websites?? I don't want to go JUST for journalism and the completely abandon the idea of fashion what do I do and how do I go about this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,998,315 times
It's definitely a super competitive field. However, if you are going to school in NY, then you will at least be in the right place. You need to focus on building skills and a resume. I think technical skills will be key - you should be great at social media, have your own fashion blog, have some basic computer skills (hopefully better), be able to take decent pictures and use photoshop and similar programs effectively. Graphic design ability is helpful, too. Know some marketing. I don't really think a major in journalism would be as useful as marketing or something technical - lots of people can write, but not lots can put together a great online blog or magazine page, edit a video effectively, or understand branding and so on. Community college would probably be a good place to develop those technical skills, and then you can put them to use by creating your own fashion blog when you get to NYC. And if fashion doesn't work, but you have good technical skills and understand the fashion industry, then you will still be somewhat employable.

But you can't just be someone sitting on the sidelines saying they like fashion and want to write about it. You have to get out and live in the industry and observe everything and have hardcore tech skills that you can use to get your voice out. There will be a billion people in NYC just like you, but most will be wannabe's sitting around bragging about how they're going to be famous someday, but spending most of their time partying and social climbing and trying to look the part, while never actually developing any tangible skills or abilities to make anything happen. I remember those people - I used to envy them, but eventually realized that success in a glamor industry doesn't come from being a cool hipster, but from hard work, persistence, and real ability.

I am not sure it matters much what school you go to. Lots of people I know went to FIT, but there are so many schools. Make a list of schools and programs that look good and then ask again.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM

I understand you I don't want to be this dreaming person and have no action to my inspiration I'm gathering as much as I can while I'm in Kansas City studying how people develop their blogs through creativity and media. I know a friend of mine who is studying computer sciences and she says it's SUPER HARD!! when I do study it will I be going in a different field or will be all the same thing??

Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Will FIT have the computer education I'm looking for???

Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,262,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I understand you I don't want to be this dreaming person and have no action to my inspiration I'm gathering as much as I can while I'm in Kansas City studying how people develop their blogs through creativity and media. I know a friend of mine who is studying computer sciences and she says it's SUPER HARD!! when I do study it will I be going in a different field or will be all the same thing??
Quote:
Will FIT have the computer education I'm looking for???
She is not talking about Computer Science, she is talking about computer skills useful in the fashion/design/magazine industry--being able to use photoshop or similar on a professional level, create a good webstite, etc., not programming skills like one would learn in Computer Science.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM

17,234 posts, read 21,967,840 times
Quote:
I need some recommendations for schools I'm moving to New York to get involved in fashion. As a avid fashion follower I know the competition is heavy. But I will be going to community college first and as I get involved I want to be in journalism. I want to do both but I don't know how?? Do I double major with fashion and journalism. I don't want to be a designer I want to work with the magazines and online websites?? I don't want to go JUST for journalism and the completely abandon the idea of fashion what do I do and how do I go about this??
You do realize that journalism is a dying career.......look at magazine circulation/newspaper circulation numbers, some are a fraction of prior years.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 AM

4,611 posts, read 4,880,827 times
Involved in fashion how? Writing? Photographing? Designing?

I'd suggest the New School BFA in fashion design. And go there first, skip community college. CC won't help, as BFA programs need A LOT of studio time and very little "core" classes. Look at the cirruculum: Parsons :: Academics :: Undergraduate :: Fashion Design (BFA) :: Curriculum . I can see 3 classes you could easily take in a community colleges. The other 111 credits would be done at the New School...

Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,515,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that journalism is a dying career.......look at magazine circulation/newspaper circulation numbers, some are a fraction of prior years.
No, it's not...the media form is simply changing. A shift away from print has nothing to do with the continuing need to produce content.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM

17,234 posts, read 21,967,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No, it's not...the media form is simply changing. A shift away from print has nothing to do with the continuing need to produce content.
You are correct but that "changing media form" is taking a direct toll on paychecks......Why pay a reporter when a blogger will do the same thing for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities