U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 13,132 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im currently in my 3rd year at University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez enrolled in a bachelors electrical engineering. My problem is that i dont like electrical engineering, i have tried it and i dont like what they do is not for me . I want to move to Computer E or something related. Due to some personal problems my grades and life have suffered. I love my family and puerto ricans are really close people but i need to leave Puerto Rico to start fresh somewhere else. I dont want to keep jeopardizing my future and the economic situation here is terrible, i have no job, my car is not working plus my family is having a hard time with the living expenses. Everything is to expensive and not enough jobs.

I want to move to texas it seems is one of the best places to relocate to. I have search many universities and I like Texas A&M( harder for me to get in) University of Austin, University of Houston. Im leaning towards the university of houston to transfer to a bs in computer engineering technology. I have tried to find more information about this program but i dont seems to find anything concrete. To my understanding is more hands on that classic engineering which i like more than theory. I know some people don't consider the graduates of this program real engineers but to me they are the same. The compliment each other.

My question is is this a good degree and what type of master degree can i get with it. My main concern is been able to get my masters. Is the university of houston a good choice. Is in a well placed area and the price is not bad either. What does a person with this degree does exactly. Do you think it will be a good choice to transfer to UH so i can have a shot to do my masters in a good university.

Thx for the help
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM

90,437 posts, read 86,501,289 times
Apply to all 3 schools, whether you think you can get in or not. Take a look at Tex A&M's Educational Opportunity Program, to see if you can get in as a disadvantaged student, due to your grades. See if you can talk to an EOP adviser there (they should have one for Hispanic students).

If you'll need financial aid, contact the financial aid office at each school. Computer engineering is a great choice, you can't go wrong with that. There are plenty of jobs in the IT field. You can probably Google university rankings to see if UH is considered a good school. (You can also post in the Houston or Texas forums, here.) Check out the Computer Engineering departments' MA offerings (if any) to see what they have. Also, in order to get ideas, check out Stanford University's computer engineering programs. They're huge into IT degrees, they'll probably have something.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM

Hey man thx for the info i will call tomorrow and see what they tell me. Dont i need to be a permanent resident to take the educational opportunity program.

What do you think about the computer engineering technology?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye05 View Post
Hey man thx for the info i will call tomorrow and see what they tell me. Dont i need to be a permanent resident to take the educational opportunity program.

What do you think about the computer engineering technology?
A permanent resident of what? Puerto Rico is part of the US. You're a US citizen, aren't you? If not, then you'll be out of luck with the EOP angle.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:37 PM

Yes Im a permanent resident born in Bridgeport Connecticut

Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Ask their EOP dept. re: your visa status and eligibility for the program.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM

I dont think i need a visa

Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 PM

9,927 posts, read 13,940,416 times
Engineering Technology is a degree where certain classes are cut off to makes the degree easier.

Mostly from what I've seen, it's just a few classes. There's no reason to do the Tech degree when you could do the full degree.

Also, just my opinion, but if you hate/can't hack electrical engineering, then CS/CE will be much of the same. It's not my field though.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 AM

7,009 posts, read 11,379,204 times
Quote:
Quote:
I dont think i need a visa
Do you have a green card? You aren't a U.S. citizen even though you were born in Connecticut?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Do you have a green card? You aren't a U.S. citizen even though you were born in Connecticut?
Sorry but im a us citizen puerto ricans have the same citizenship as you do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities