Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM

7 posts, read 18,657 times

Advertisements

I am a student who study Elecetrical engineering . i am really interested in working in computer engineering / science field . i heard a lot of people saying that if i graduated as an EE i will have no chance to work in CS/CE field , is that true ?, from your experience Can an Electrical Engineering apply for CE/CS jops ??!! in other words , Do the employers care about the name of the major in the graduation letter more than courses that i took in school ?
what if i got minor in CS/CE will it help me ? .

I will really appreciate your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
A good friend of mine has an EE degree, and he works on the programming side of computers (I think it was a hobby as well), he went on to grad school for a computer related something degree. I know at my own company (finance industry), more than a few in the IT area have EE degrees. I have no idea their specific skill set is, nor how they applied their EE to their current position. Some of these guys have been in the industry for over 30 years, so I am sure a lot had the first movers advantage.

I use to work at a factory where the guy who maintained the programming for the machinery was an EE.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Who exactly are the "lot of people"?? Do you have any reason to think they are at all informed?

There are a fair number of programs out there that offer an ECE degree only. And employers will focus much more on what courses you have taken and what experience you have acquired.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I have one sure example where you can. I worked for one of the big NASA contractors near Houston that supported space missions. For software support cs majors were most common but there were still lots and lots of EEs doing cs work. A friend of mine with an EE degree got laid off and found another cs type job afterward in the commercial sector. Cs jobs in general will look at your experience and the fact you completed a technical degree is an advantage.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A good friend of mine has an EE degree, and he works on the programming side of computers (I think it was a hobby as well), he went on to grad school for a computer related something degree. I know at my own company (finance industry), more than a few in the IT area have EE degrees. I have no idea their specific skill set is, nor how they applied their EE to their current position. Some of these guys have been in the industry for over 30 years, so I am sure a lot had the first movers advantage.

I use to work at a factory where the guy who maintained the programming for the machinery was an EE.
Unfortunately where I live, Embeded system industry does not exist , they just import everything from other countries . and it is difficult to get into any jobs without experience .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Who exactly are the "lot of people"?? Do you have any reason to think they are at all informed?

There are a fair number of programs out there that offer an ECE degree only. And employers will focus much more on what courses you have taken and what experience you have acquired.
i think they are , since They all agreed that it is difficult to compete with cs/ce graduates in their jobs , unless i have a solid knowledge in their fields.

and when i got admitted to my university there were no CE degree that is why i went to EE degree .

Do you think getting minor in computer science would be useful in my future career ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I have one sure example where you can. I worked for one of the big NASA contractors near Houston that supported space missions. For software support cs majors were most common but there were still lots and lots of EEs doing cs work. A friend of mine with an EE degree got laid off and found another cs type job afterward in the commercial sector. Cs jobs in general will look at your experience and the fact you completed a technical degree is an advantage.
the question now is how can i get that experience ?
what courses Do you recommend for me to take while i am studying , that are important for an "entry-level jobs in CS " . i am a third year student

SORRY for my poor English and for for asking so many questions :s

Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 AM

up...

Old 02-17-2014, 10:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
This is just opinion, so don't take it as gospel fact, but just as ideas to start from. Id say look up a few universities that have 'bridging' programs for non-cs students pursuing a cs masters. Here's one example that is for international students http://www.usfca.edu/artsci/csg/bridge_program/

See what the common courses are and pursue those on your own. It won't be a whole lot of classes. Chances are as an EE, you have had some sort of cs related courses already.

You can find free college courses on sites like coursera or udacity or edX. Codeacademy is a free site that I can't vouch for, but it seems to be a popular place to learn elementary web development. Keep in mind that cs is way, way more than web development, but right now that's where the most jobs are. Another thing is to get involved with something. Get on forums like stackexchange or microsoft .NET forums and become a participant. See if you can find a .NET or javascript interest group at your university or city and go to meetings and get involved. Then, once you are comfortable with a programming language or two, try to find opensource projects to volunteer for like Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire and connect. Change the world - idealist.org or Open source is changing the world: join the movement | opensource.com. That is how you can prove yourself to employers. When it is time to interview, be sure to highlight the opensource projects that you contributed to.

There are a bazillion programming languages out there, and yes you will have to decide what programming language environment to focus on such as java, .net/C#, javascript, php, python, ruby, C++ etc, etc, etc. You want to choose something marketable and that won't become obsolete tomorrow. I would use this site to help with the language decision: TIOBE Software: The Coding Standards Company Right now web development is popular so that is things like .NET/C#, PHP, java, HTML5, Ruby, etc. I am focusing myself on .NET because it seems to have staying power, and it is useful in a lot more than just web apps. Java is old, but it is a giant beast crossing multiple domains, so that would be another good choice. HTML5 is great if you want to make cross platform applications or even mobile games. The gist of the story is, there is an entire universe of directions and paths to choose from, so you will need to research and decide what interests you most. From that decide your focus.

I would also advise asking this question or looking up your question on sites like
quora
ask.metafilter.com
ASP.NET Forums : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Forums
stackoverflow
stackexchange
slashdot
linkedin .NET user groups
and any other site you can think of. Cover all your bases and get more ideas. This question has been asked before, and the internet was where I learned some of these ideas.

Pluralsight is a fantastic resource for developers (but it costs $$$). If you have the time, get the free trial and view this course. It's for programmers who want to advance their career, but it has good advice on getting noticed in the job search that could help you as well:

Get Involved! - Online Training Course for Developers

Last edited by DanielWayne; 02-17-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This is just opinion, so don't take it as gospel fact, but just as ideas to start from. Id say look up a few universities that have 'bridging' programs for non-cs students pursuing a cs masters. Here's one example that is for international students MSCS Bridge Program - University of San Francisco (USF)

See what the common courses are and pursue those on your own. It won't be a whole lot of classes. Chances are as an EE, you have had some sort of cs related courses already.

You can find free college courses on sites like coursera or udacity or edX. Codeacademy is a free site that I can't vouch for, but it seems to be a popular place to learn elementary web development. Keep in mind that cs is way, way more than web development, but right now that's where the most jobs are. Another thing is to get involved with something. Get on forums like stackexchange or microsoft .NET forums and become a participant. See if you can find a .NET or javascript interest group at your university or city and go to meetings and get involved. Then, once you are comfortable with a programming language or two, try to find opensource projects to volunteer for like Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire and connect. Change the world - idealist.org or Open source is changing the world: join the movement | opensource.com. That is how you can prove yourself to employers. When it is time to interview, be sure to highlight the opensource projects that you contributed to.

There are a bazillion programming languages out there, and yes you will have to decide what programming language environment to focus on such as java, .net/C#, javascript, php, python, ruby, C++ etc, etc, etc. You want to choose something marketable and that won't become obsolete tomorrow. I would use this site to help with the language decision: TIOBE Software: The Coding Standards Company Right now web development is popular so that is things like .NET/C#, PHP, java, HTML5, Ruby, etc. I am focusing myself on .NET because it seems to have staying power, and it is useful in a lot more than just web apps. Java is old, but it is a giant beast crossing multiple domains, so that would be another good choice. HTML5 is great if you want to make cross platform applications or even mobile games. The gist of the story is, there is an entire universe of directions and paths to choose from, so you will need to research and decide what interests you most. From that decide your focus.

I would also advise asking this question or looking up your question on sites like
quora
ask.metafilter.com
ASP.NET Forums : The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Forums
stackoverflow
stackexchange
slashdot
linkedin .NET user groups
and any other site you can think of. Cover all your bases and get more ideas. This question has been asked before, and the internet was where I learned some of these ideas.

Pluralsight is a fantastic resource for developers (but it costs $$$). If you have the time, get the free trial and view this course. It's for programmers who want to advance their career, but it has good advice on getting noticed in the job search that could help you as well:

Get Involved! - Online Training Course for Developers
Thank you

Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM

up...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
The most important action is to GET a technical degree.
If changing from EE to something else will cause a delay, then don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities