Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,069 times

Advertisements

what a set up, you can apply and then get a limited amount but the school can up their price as often as they want. I feel there should be a limit on the price of school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,242,161 times
With college being more affordable than the historic norm, I'd imagine that we haven't hit that limit yet (if it were to exist). I'd say that a reasonable limit would be the median income of a teacher per year just like it used to be in the past.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,495,397 times
Some schools are allowing students to lock in a rate their freshman year. This is now the law for public colleges in Texas. The rate is good for 4 years.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM

20,134 posts, read 16,251,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
With college being more affordable than the historic norm, I'd imagine that we haven't hit that limit yet (if it were to exist). I'd say that a reasonable limit would be the median income of a teacher per year just like it used to be in the past.
Do what? College is less affordable than the historic norm.

The Faculty Lounge: Compare Faculty Salaries With College Tuition Hikes: Pay Increases Don't Explain University Tuition

Average undergraduate tuition and fees and room and board rates charged for full-time students in degree-granting institutions, by type and control of institution: 1964-65 through 2006-07

Estimated average annual salary of teachers in public elementary and secondary schools, by state: Selected years, 1969-70 through 2012-13

Example (We'll use Vermont since it tends to pay in the middle range)

1969-1970 ..... tuition/room/board: $1,203 - average teacher salary: $7,968 so college costs 15% of a teacher's salary

2006-2007..... tuition/room/board: $11,034 - average teacher salary: $52,000 (approximate) so college costs 21% of a teacher's salary

2013-2014 ...... tuition/room/board (according to the college board report): $22,826 - average teacher salary: $52,526 so college costs 43% of a teacher's salary.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-16-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM

151 posts, read 425,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary swindle campbell View Post
what a set up, you can apply and then get a limited amount but the school can up their price as often as they want. I feel there should be a limit on the price of school
Why would schools limit their prices when students keep paying the rate increases?

Funny how students keep whining about how people need to do something about the cost of tuition, and yet, they don't ever do anything about it yourselves. Demand (from students) is what sets the prices.

Is college worth the cost of tuition for you?
If yes, then you got your money's worth, so stop complaining.
If no, then just don't go. Simple as that.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Do what? College is less affordable than the historic norm.

The Faculty Lounge: Compare Faculty Salaries With College Tuition Hikes: Pay Increases Don't Explain University Tuition

Average undergraduate tuition and fees and room and board rates charged for full-time students in degree-granting institutions, by type and control of institution: 1964-65 through 2006-07

Estimated average annual salary of teachers in public elementary and secondary schools, by state: Selected years, 1969-70 through 2012-13

Example (We'll use Vermont since it tends to pay in the middle range)

1969-1970 ..... tuition/room/board: $1,203 - average teacher salary: $7,968 so college costs 15% of a teacher's salary

2006-2007..... tuition/room/board: $11,034 - average teacher salary: $52,000 (approximate) so college costs 21% of a teacher's salary

2013-2014 ...... tuition/room/board (according to the college board report): $22,826 - average teacher salary: $52,526 so college costs 43% of a teacher's salary.
You're only looking at a small subset of history. College became extremely affordable in the 1900's. Take a look at the several centuries prior to that.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You're only looking at a small subset of history. College became extremely affordable in the 1900's. Take a look at the several centuries prior to that.
You mean back when less than 1% attended college and the average campus had 112 students? You want to regress to pre-Civil War days? Oh, but wait....

When colleges and universities first started, way back in the 1100's or so, they charged no tuition. The church or government paid. When Harvard first started there was no tuition, the school was supported by the church. In the 1700's tuition at William and Mary was 10 shillings a quarter - the cost of two pairs of socks and a pair of shoes. Even as more colleges formed tuition was either free or cheap and that was true through the early 1800's in America too. Now, by 1875 Harvard was charging $150 a year ($3,000 adjusted for inflation) and it stayed at level until the early 1900's. Only the wealthy attended because families had to come up with living expenses and they couldn't afford to have a non-money generating adult in the family.

What am I missing?

College costs have gotten completely out of control.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
You mean back when less than 1% attended college and the average campus had 112 students?
You've identified a bigger problem here. Perhaps, too many people are going to college and most don't have much to show for it.
Quote:

When colleges and universities first started, way back in the 1100's or so, they charged no tuition. The church or government paid. When Harvard first started there was no tuition, the school was supported by the church. In the 1700's tuition at William and Mary was 10 shillings a quarter - the cost of two pairs of socks and a pair of shoes. Even as more colleges formed tuition was either free or cheap and that was true through the early 1800's in America too. Now, by 1875 Harvard was charging $150 a year ($3,000 adjusted for inflation) and it stayed at level until the early 1900's. Only the wealthy attended because families had to come up with living expenses and they couldn't afford to have a non-money generating adult in the family.

What am I missing?
Good schools are still affordable (and near free for the non-wealthy) today. The scholarships, and financial aid provided by decent schools like UPenn, NYU, Harvard, Yale, etc. make it extremely affordable.

You didn't have to be wealthy to attend college prior to the 1900's. Any student that performed well enough would be awarded funding by the university. The true holds today.

Just because we have a bunch of non-adequate college students going to college at their own expense doesn't mean that tuition has gone up (in terms of affordability). It just means that a lot of lower quality students are going to college... and as a result, they aren't getting the endowment-subsidized rides that adequate students received in the past and still do today.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
You've identified a bigger problem here. Perhaps, too many people are going to college and most don't have much to show for it.

Good schools are still affordable (and near free for the non-wealthy) today. The scholarships, and financial aid provided by decent schools like UPenn, NYU, Harvard, Yale, etc. make it extremely affordable.

You didn't have to be wealthy to attend college prior to the 1900's. Any student that performed well enough would be awarded funding by the university. The true holds today.

Just because we have a bunch of non-adequate college students going to college at their own expense doesn't mean that tuition has gone up (in terms of affordability). It just means that a lot of lower quality students are going to college... and as a result, they aren't getting the endowment-subsidized rides that adequate students received in the past and still do today.
Actually, no. The Ivy League schools, including Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, do not give out merit scholarships because "all their students are meritorious". Same is true for MIT. If your total family income is under $60,000 they will give some financial aide. But with my kids, our expected contribution for all four of those schools was more than I made in a year at the time and more than 25% of the family's pre-tax income. Hardly equivalent to a pair of shoes and two pairs of socks. Only the very wealthy or the very poor can afford to send their kids to those schools these days. The rest of us middle class slobs have to send our kids to state schools, which do give out merit scholarships.

You are the ONLY person I know or have heard of that argues that college has become more affordable. Did they not teach you how to analyze data at Princeton? Maybe my kids were better off going to state schools.

But I do agree too many people are going to college.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-19-2014 at 03:31 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,481,065 times
Quote:
Actually, no. The Ivy League schools, including Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, do not give out merit scholarships because "all their students are meritorious". Same is true for MIT. If your total family income is under $60,000 they will give some financial aide. But with my kids, our expected contribution for all four of those schools was more than I made in a year at the time and more than 25% of the family's pre-tax income. Hardly equivalent to a pair of shoes and two pairs of socks. Only the very wealthy or the very poor can afford to send their kids to those schools these days. The rest of us middle class slobs have to send our kids to state schools, which do give out merit scholarships.

You are the ONLY person I know or have heard of that argues that college has become more affordable. Did they not teach you how to analyze data at Princeton? Maybe my kids were better off going to state schools.

But I do agree too many people are going to college.
I don't know when you last looked into this, but at the Ivy's and similar, if you make under 60K (or 75K at some) you go to those schools for free and graduate debt free. You pay 10% of your AGI up to 180K, so 18K for an Ivy education. They are actually the most affordable schools around...if you can get in. You are correct, state schools give very little in aid, however, most private schools, at least in the Midwest, are very generous. Your EFC won't be more than what you make unless you have a lot of liquid money parked in 529's, Mutual Funds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities