Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 PM

336 posts, read 590,664 times

Advertisements

Maybe you regret your major or regret the location. Or it's just the types of people who went to school with you.

How did you deal with this or did you just try not to focus too much on it and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Looking back, I do. At 18, I wasn't ready to leave home, and this was in 2004, when the economy was much better. I didn't realize the impact location had on career prospects, but then again, no one really knew what kind of cliff we were going to fall off of and how tough the job market would be.

I don't necessarily regret my major, but I do regret not leaving my hometown at 18, knowing what know now.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,943,938 times
I've felt this way every single day for the past decade. I went to a college that was too small.

I'm just thankful I have a career, and I try hard to think forward instead of backward. But it's hard not to think about how much I'd like a do-over on this life.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,046 times
Only when talking to football fans. Never thought about choosing a school based on how well the football team does, I probably should have.

*sad face*

Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
No.
I got a great education.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM

550 posts, read 967,060 times
I loved both my undergraduate and graduate schools. That said, the only regret I have is that I should have followed my heart with what I studied in undergraduate, instead of following everyone's expectations of what they thought I would be good at. I'm doing fine, but "what if..."

Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 PM

336 posts, read 590,664 times
So I guess no one regrets the type of people you met and the connections you didn't get to make because people just didn't like you or something.

I always felt like people at other schools got along with me a lot better and it seemed like I would have been happier if I had chosen a different school. Whenever I discussed problems I had at my own school, people I knew said some of those issues were rare whenever they were in school.

I used to think it was normal to be in classes with people who seemed to hate each other or refused to get along and always trying to start some drama.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
So I guess no one regrets the type of people you met and the connections you didn't get to make because people just didn't like you or something.

I always felt like people at other schools got along with me a lot better and it seemed like I would have been happier if I had chosen a different school. Whenever I discussed problems I had at my own school, people I knew said some of those issues were rare whenever they were in school.

I used to think it was normal to be in classes with people who seemed to hate each other or refused to get along and always trying to start some drama.
College is usually populated with adults, who are expected to be above that kind of behavior. Whether they really are or not is another story.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM

4,880 posts, read 6,949,176 times
If you're still in college and you feel strongly this way, don't waste any more time and money and find a place where you're happy.

I wanted to attend the college that I eventually transferred to right after high school. However, I was recruited more heavily at another college for athletics. I was miserable there with the campus life and the academics. I quit after 1 year and after a 1 year hiatus transferred to where I LOVED it which turned out to be my original choice. I also switched majors into something with a future.

I could never understand students who try to tough out their situation at a college or in a major that they're not happy with. It's your life, so even if you're getting pressure from home, you generally know if something is the right fit or not.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post

I always felt like people at other schools got along with me a lot better and it seemed like I would have been happier if I had chosen a different school.
I do not regret the people I met.. and I did not make life-long connections.
But then, I was there to get an education (and have fun while doing that), not to make BFFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities