Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 10,938 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who may have either recently graduated from, or is about to graduate from the ITT Tech. I'm considering attending this upcoming quarter, and I'm interested in people who have attended and what their experience has been like. From the teachers, to the curriculum, to whether you feel the education you receive is worth the cost of tuition, and if applicable what type of job opportunities this has lead to?

Incidentally I would be enrolled in the Network Systems Administration program. I'd be interested more particularly in people who have or are taking this program. Any reply would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
OH GOD WHYYYY!!! There is one person on this forum whose son found a good job after attending ITT Tech, but that can be done after attending a community college or any non-profit university. There are even regionally accredited for profits that are much cheaper than this school. There are three really bad things about ITT Tech:

1. They are way overpriced for a school that accepts just about anyone. They also don't have the best reputation. Their tuition is so high that federal loans and grants aren't enough to cover their bachelor's degree programs. ITT Tech often ends up loaning the student the rest at an astronomical interest rate.

2. Since ITT Tech is nationally accredited, its credits won't transfer to a lot, if not most, schools. Regionally accredited schools are often picky about accepting credits from nationally accredited schools. The one ethical thing ITT Tech does is let students know that their credits aren't likely to transfer. So, if you find out you don't like the school, you might be stuck or risk losing all of those expensive credits.

3. ITT Tech is currently under close scrutiny from the federal government. They may not go the way of Everest College, which is being forced to shut down campuses over fudging job placement data and not having their financials straight, but the possibility is there. Their parent company is in a better financial position than Everest's parent company. ITT Tech is being sued by the federal government for predatory lending. If the federal government decides to punish ITT Tech by pulling federal financial aid, they are done.
Woes stack up for Carmel-based ITT Tech

Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyursomny View Post
As the title says, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who may have either recently graduated from, or is about to graduate from the ITT Tech. I'm considering attending this upcoming quarter, and I'm interested in people who have attended and what their experience has been like. From the teachers, to the curriculum, to whether you feel the education you receive is worth the cost of tuition, and if applicable what type of job opportunities this has lead to?

Incidentally I would be enrolled in the Network Systems Administration program. I'd be interested more particularly in people who have or are taking this program. Any reply would be greatly appreciated!
Dude.......RUN!!!!!!! DO NOT ATTEND ITT Tech or similar.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Why in the world would you spend that kind of money on an education you can get cheaper anywhere else? Also be aware that ITT is not an accredited college, so classes will not transfer to real colleges and employers who require college education or a college degree will not accept ITT education.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why in the world would you spend that kind of money on an education you can get cheaper anywhere else? Also be aware that ITT is not an accredited college, so classes will not transfer to real colleges and employers who require college education or a college degree will not accept ITT education.
ITT Tech is accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If they weren't accredited, they wouldn't qualify for Title IV funding (federal financial aid). The problem is the type of accreditation that they have. Since they are nationally accredited, their credits are difficult to transfer to regionally accredited schools.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
ITT Tech is accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. If they weren't accredited, they wouldn't qualify for Title IV funding (federal financial aid). The problem is the type of accreditation that they have. Since they are nationally accredited, their credits are difficult to transfer to regionally accredited schools.
Perhaps I should have said "regionally accredited." I also know someone who needed a college degree for a job and was told his ITT Tech degree did not count as far as they were concerned, so the type of accreditation can have significant ramifications.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Perhaps I should have said "regionally accredited." I also know someone who needed a college degree for a job and was told his ITT Tech degree did not count as far as they were concerned, so the type of accreditation can have significant ramifications.
It can have ramifications for licensure purposes. I normally only see accreditation as an issue with state and local government jobs, though. For example, some Texas law enforcement agencies don't recognize degrees from nationally accredited schools. The federal government doesn't distinguish between national and regional accreditation. I think the employer said that the ITT Tech degree didn't count because of an assumption that it was unaccredited or because of its reputation. Private employers usually don't know the difference between the types of accreditation.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 PM

186 posts, read 349,419 times
Please don't do it, I am personally begging you not to. Please look at your local community or technical college they should have the same program available that ITT Tech has. I know most technical colleges here in the state of Georgia have programs that are completely online, look into going to a CC out of state it would be cheaper than ITT Tech.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:58 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
I will tell you this, when I see or my hiring manager sees someone list ITT as their education, their resume is automatically placed in the do not consider pile.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 10,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I will tell you this, when I see or my hiring manager sees someone list ITT as their education, their resume is automatically placed in the do not consider pile.
Can I ask what company, or even what field of work you are in where this happens with you and your hiring manager?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities