U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM

10,593 posts, read 18,963,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Your time as a paratrooper and military experience stated in your profile probably played no hand in that, though, right? Purely based on your LU degree.....
Again, I can't comment on the quality or rigor of LU, but the gov't accepts Nationally Accredited on line schools as satisfying their degree requirements so, saying the federal gov't accepts your degree is not an indication of a high standard, as one would presume; the Feds accept degrees that some private employers will not.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 04:12 PM

9,195 posts, read 5,942,270 times
My husband went to Liberty. I like to tease him about learning math by counting animals on Noah's Ark, and Genesis 1 & 2 being his biology textbook

Seriously though, I don't think Liberty will necessarily hinder you (unless your potential employer happens to have a strong opinion of the school), but unless you're in the bible belt or going into ministry (or just happen to have a religiously conservative potential employer) it also isn't going to be something that distinguishes you from other candidates.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM

360 posts, read 618,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Again, I can't comment on the quality or rigor of LU, but the gov't accepts Nationally Accredited on line schools as satisfying their degree requirements so, saying the federal gov't accepts your degree is not an indication of a high standard, as one would presume; the Feds accept degrees that some private employers will not.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your quote, but Liberty is regionally accredited.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,274,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Your time as a paratrooper and military experience stated in your profile probably played no hand in that, though, right? Purely based on your LU degree.....
Of course it had a hand but lots of other folks with similar quails that attended different schools didn't beat me out. The selection for at least the 2210 series is done by a human panel of about 5 people. That number might vary but that was the norm for all the jobs I interviewed for. Once you get past the initial screening based on your federal résumé and answers to the job posting human eyes that aren't keyword machines look at your résumé. If LU was such a toxic thing to put on ones résumé or if it was not considered real then things would be very different for me.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 PM

3,989 posts, read 7,351,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureteacher1 View Post
I'm curious, what do you all think of Liberty University? I have considered going there to get an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education, and I'm wondering if it would hinder my ability to find a job in the future...
Liberty University is not in the top 50% of colleges ranked by the National Council on Teacher Quality. In Virginia, you could do a lot better. Since it isn't even in the top half of colleges ranked for teacher education quality, I'm sure you could do a lot better better for less money. Go to a school where the demands of the program will prepare you for the demands of today's classrooms.

I don't know where you live in Virginia, but William and Mary is ranked 4th nationally.

NCTQ Teacher Prep Rankings | US News Education

Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 PM

10,593 posts, read 18,963,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your quote, but Liberty is regionally accredited.
Yes, it is. My point (that I might not have made well) is that saying that federal gov't recognizes your university is not saying much at all, considering that they also recognize nationally accredited on line schools.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
They teach things "within a Biblical worldview" (their words -- not sure how they can do that with things like biology ... they don't go into detail on their web site).
They teach evolution, then tell you it's wrong and that creationism is the truth and the world is only a few thousand years old.

Insanity.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:04 PM

9,195 posts, read 5,942,270 times
My favorite is the "interdisciplinary studies" degree program; they're so conservative that they won't even use the name "liberal arts". (light humor)

Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 PM

360 posts, read 618,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yes, it is. My point (that I might not have made well) is that saying that federal gov't recognizes your university is not saying much at all, considering that they also recognize nationally accredited on line schools.
Gotcha. Ironically Liberty is one of a list of regionally accredited colleges that will accept credits/degrees from nationally accredited colleges.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,148,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Of course it had a hand but lots of other folks with similar quails that attended different schools didn't beat me out. The selection for at least the 2210 series is done by a human panel of about 5 people. That number might vary but that was the norm for all the jobs I interviewed for. Once you get past the initial screening based on your federal résumé and answers to the job posting human eyes that aren't keyword machines look at your résumé. If LU was such a toxic thing to put on ones résumé or if it was not considered real then things would be very different for me.

Usually after you get your first job, the name of your school doesn't matter as much. I don't think Liberty got you your first job, nor did it get you this job other than being able to check off a checkbox. LU didn't open doors to you. It was prior experience. Nothing wrong with that.

There are just as many good schools in the state without any negative associations. Unless you are a massively conservative right winger who does not believe members of the opposite sex should hug until marriage.... then it's safe to say that you should pick elsewhere.

Unless OP is going to the military after school, I say go to the best program you can get into for what you want to do and factor in any costs associated with going private vs. public. Maybe you get more financial aid to make it cheaper, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities