Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM

94 posts, read 132,223 times

Advertisements

Could you give me some tips on how to prepare for it.

The verbal part is a bit hard for me since English is not my first language. I understand everything except these words that you have to fill in the blank spaces - words that I've never heard of.

Is there like a dictionary with a list of words that might show up in the GRE ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Yup.

Magoosh has a free flash card app. Kaplan has a deck of flash cards if you can find a pack in your area. Both of these are good because they provide examples of how each individual word can be used in context.

Avoid Manhattan prep as their word list is often way too obscure.

ETS has shifted away from staunch dictionary definitions to being more-or-less contextual, so the word that fits exactly based solely on its definition alone would be an incorrect choice if it does not fit contextually.

The best way to prep for the Verbal Reasoning section is to mostly read. The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, The Economist, Scientific American, The New Left, American Conservative, and so on. Politics aside, the point is to read scholarly articles. Avoid articles based on opinion.

This is a good website that has a great mix of well-written, scholarly articles, from a variety of sources:

Arts & Letters Daily - ideas, criticism, debate

If you want to combine flash cards with the reading, The New York Times on-line has a search feature that allows to search by word. For example, you can search the word circuitous and all articles containing that word will turn up.

I would also suggest reading classic American novels, preferably from the Victorian era.

There are plenty of free online word lists. Google "most frequent GRE words" to find them. Some lists can range upwards of 3,000 words. I'd stick with the one's that cap around 400 words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities