Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times

Advertisements

It was on CNN yesterday evening (9pm to 11pm EST). According to Verizon's TV guide feature thing, there was supposed to be an encore presentation, but instead, they switched to the coverage of the Ferguson and Obama's immigration updates. In fact, the current showing seemed to have cut down on commercial time so that it ended 7 minutes prior to ending on the hour.

SPOILERS if you'd care to watch it yourself. According to Verizon again, next showing is on Nov. 23rd.

Some interesting "fun facts" like:
1) 68% of students fail to graduate within 4 years
44% within 6 years
2) out of state tuition is average double of in-state, yet, out-of-state tuition has doubled on average
3) Pell Grants covered 112% of college tuition in 1977
Now, they only cover 43% in this decade or so
4) 50% unemployment rate amongst graduates 25 years old from the class of 2013
5) according to one high school mother, tuition at NYU costs $60K per year
6) 1.1 trillion $$ student loan debt. If you've been around on the C-D forums, these can't be wiped by bankruptcy

Community Colleges have flexibility and may offer some saving grace, as they tend to need to rough out the usual hardships anyways.

Other topics covered...
-Cooper Union for the first time now charges tuition. Students upset since $40mil was spent on a new facility, hedgefund investment that ended up getting wiped out, and the president makes $750K per year, and received a town hall as a free gift
-many schools spend $40mil to $100mil for stadiums, but also stuff like luxury condo-like dorms, swimming pools all over campus, and $40mil rock climbing walls. They go into debt to build them to attract students. Attract more students, now you need more facilities to attract even more students. It's a vicious cycle.

-Deep Springs is a 2 year school, all-male out in some CA country side where they do farm chores, but also talk about topics in a lecture setting like poli-sci. etc.
-an all girl's African American school is nice to be around like minded and students of similar upbringing, but a black man attended Harvard mentioned he didn't really know how to talk with white people, and wanted the diversity that came with other ethnic, racial, and social backgrounds

-Uncollege is a program where people live in dorm like buildings, work on apps, code, startups, and deal with college stuff like chores, but without the excessive tuition costs of typical colleges
-AZ State U being a party school. Party schools are fine according to one person, but the ones that don't really hold their students academically responsible are just awful
-Harvard offers 1st year students cs50 which is a computer science course which teaches basics of how to program, do websites, and otherwise to think more technically. They have a huge "great hall" like room devoted to office hours

-technology needs to be utilized to save on costs
-online programs like those offered through Coursea, Udacity, and edX can help some, but won't do any good for those that need in-person contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Yes. It's propaganda. There's some truth here and there, but most of it is twisted nonsense.

College isn't for everyone. Most of these problems are related to everyone trying to go to college but failing (either in college, or after college).

Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 AM

653 posts, read 817,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes. It's propaganda. There's some truth here and there, but most of it is twisted nonsense.

College isn't for everyone. Most of these problems are related to everyone trying to go to college but failing (either in college, or after college).
For once, I sorta agree with NJBest. Its propaganda (although there is also propaganda for the pro-college crow, but I obviously don't have to tell you that) that shows part of the problem. College isn't for everyone. And certain degree programs are not worth it (especially going into debt for), in my honest opinion. Outside of a handful of programs, you are really running the risk of incurring massive debt and achieving minimal employment.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
I just watched it and that was a painful documentary to watch. It's started off pretty good and I was thinking this might be informative but that ended once the Cooper stuff started.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yes I watched it, seemed like the same old drivel. Boo-hoo, I went into massive debt and all I got was a worthless degree in Radical Feminism Studies.

Is there ANY original thoughts left in the world????

I wait breathlessly for the release of The Butterfly Effect 4.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:22 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
I just watched it and that was a painful documentary to watch. It's started off pretty good and I was thinking this might be informative but that ended once the Cooper stuff started.
I know a lot of Cooper alumni, so I've seen this movie mentioned many times in my social media feeds. I haven't seen the Ivory Tower yet, but I'm interested in why the Cooper segment turned you off.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I know a lot of Cooper alumni, so I've seen this movie mentioned many times in my social media feeds. I haven't seen the Ivory Tower yet, but I'm interested in why the Cooper segment turned you off.
Because they seem more focused on themselves instead of the greater good of the school. In this day and age they have been blessed with no tuition and things changed because the school over extended itself. What's done is done and finger pointing on what could of been is pointless just like sitting in the presidents office for days. The whole thing seemed like a waste of time and did nothing to fix Cooper's money issues. And it muddled the documentary.

Last edited by curtisc83; 11-22-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 08:47 AM

653 posts, read 817,003 times
Quote:
Agreed. Started off good then just got muddled

Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Quote:
Because they seem more focused on themselves instead of the greater good of the school. In this day and age they have been blessed with no tuition and things changed because the school over extended itself. What's done is done and finger pointing on what could of been is pointless just like sitting in the presidents office for days. The whole thing seemed like a waste of time and did nothing to fix Cooper's money issues. And it muddled the documentary.
I agree with the Cooper Union in relation to its place in the film/documentary... it just seemed like filler. They could've cut out large portions of that segment, we could've gotten all we needed to out of that, and that could've gone a long way towards shortening the film from its 2 hour time slot (with commercials)

OTOH, I don't think the students at CU were wrong to protest. Sure, when times are tough, you need to make decisions. Judgment calls need to be made. However, the president having such a high salary, free town house, the decision to build such a huge complex, and the failing hedge fund investment (which BTW, I think it's safe to say if it were successful, not a dime of that would've been reinvested back into CU and the greater good), doesn't show that the president was really committed to the idea of CU being an institution of free learning. When management makes questionable decisions, people have a right to question those decisions.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
If they stopped student loans altogether college would be cheaper. The colleges would have to lower their tuition to get students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities