Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
David Carson made it huge in the graphic design industry w/o formal training.
And Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in computers, Mark Zuckerberg with Facebook, etc! Come on! These people are outliers.

Quote:
I personally would probably advise many of these people to get an internship or get a job working in a studio and learn on the job instead of paying 30 or 50k a year to go to school for it. Not only will you make money and make contacts wile working but your also not getting yourself 100k in debt.
I'm not familiar with the field, but is this even feasible? If so, why does anyone in the field get a degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in computers, Mark Zuckerberg with Facebook, etc! Come on! These people are outliers.

I'm not familiar with the field, but is this even feasible? If so, why does anyone in the field get a degree?
As for Bill Gates and those guys being outliers yes in terms of the heights of success they reached but not really for their industry. Most computer builders, programers, etc are self taught. Its something you either get or you don't get.

I know a few guys like this and they were writing code at like 12 or 14 years old without ever being taught anything. Its just something thats in you or its not. Not taht you can't learn but its like playing an instrament, some people just have like a natural ability.

As far as if its possile to learn in the field. Absoltely. You can try to get a job at a music studio basically being an intern or even just a guy taking down and setting up studios, running for coffee, whatever even if your the lowest guy you develpe some relationships, maybe someone takes you under their wing, maybe they let you sit in on some sessions but stuff like that is definately pheosible.

Also, typically if your enrolled at a college evne a single class at a community college you can typically get lab time for free. You don't have to go to some 50k a year school, most community colleges have pretty good computers, music studios, etc. For the low cost of a couple hundred bucks for a class you get to learn and get free lab time to use their equipment if its smething which would be cost prohibitive to buy yourself.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:18 PM

503 posts, read 898,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
As for Bill Gates and those guys being outliers yes in terms of the heights of success they reached but not really for their industry. Most computer builders, programers, etc are self taught. Its something you either get or you don't get.

I know a few guys like this and they were writing code at like 12 or 14 years old without ever being taught anything. Its just something thats in you or its not. Not taht you can't learn but its like playing an instrament, some people just have like a natural ability.

As far as if its possile to learn in the field. Absoltely. You can try to get a job at a music studio basically being an intern or even just a guy taking down and setting up studios, running for coffee, whatever even if your the lowest guy you develpe some relationships, maybe someone takes you under their wing, maybe they let you sit in on some sessions but stuff like that is definately pheosible.

Also, typically if your enrolled at a college evne a single class at a community college you can typically get lab time for free. You don't have to go to some 50k a year school, most community colleges have pretty good computers, music studios, etc. For the low cost of a couple hundred bucks for a class you get to learn and get free lab time to use their equipment if its smething which would be cost prohibitive to buy yourself.
All I needed to read (without warranted emphasis on the grammar) to be aware of the ignorance instilled within you.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

Some of these programmers may have been writing code at 12, but they probably also have a BS or greater in computer sci, physics, or a related field.

I've had a pretty close look at the high-tech field over the years with my spouse involved in it.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
1. Graphic design has nothing to do with videogames ( I learned that the hard way ). Yes you will understand the various foundations of art but everybody has their place. For art I would go into ILLUStRATION/DRAWING IN FINE ARTS ( if you feel you can draw or have a way with the pencil. GA/AG IS NOT FOR YOU GA and AG is not for real artists. I will admit you will gain the understanding of the creation of characters, and usage of fonts and how they communicate. Graphic design core is about fonts and letterring. That is the core of GA/AG Curicculum. Fashion designers, Theather majors ( set design ), as well as Marketing ( advertisment ) majors can find this usefull. It also can serve as a job ( with an office ) that you can do until you reach your ultimate goal ( like an public job but the private sector ). YOU ( like me ) WILL BE SO UNHAPPY WITH THIS IF YOU ARE CREATIVE LIKE ME. Wanna be like Japanese person? Learn some Japanese and then study art their. That is the better option for you in terms of videogames. Artist in videogames are mostly a bunch of horny women looking for sex from male programmers. That is the base-line model of the United States. Your chances of actually being inside of an company and being a male and being taken seriously is extremly low in the USA. However for the arts everybody has a edge in something and belongs and fit somewhere else. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... Their are tons of examples of art. In fact stupid ( got your attention yet ) you can walk up to the college and ask for a slyibus or even find out about the courses, and what they do. Trust me will you end up being so unhappy. However if you have family who are GA people then chances are things might be easier. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... About Music. I Don't know jack about music. However all I can say is a job is an job so take it seriously. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... Videogames is basically programming and that is math, learning how to navigate through command-line, Learning how to utilize resources between various programming languages. Basically your *****ed unless your life is chemistry. So far you sound like a creative person and not an logical person. I am took programming. It is get stupider and stupider up stream. You will be so unhappy to deal with it. It is an 20hr a week job that forces you to work 80hrs instead. Meaning your wages is actually lower then your worth. It is not an $100 an hour job. So stop thinking that way. This job is for people from the Orient, and Asia. Not for red-blooded Americans. .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... About videogames. Videogames like any media starts by jotting down ideas and then acting upon them. You could use FLASH Action script to make a good 2d game. You have tons of examples and libraries for 3d games. Trust me right now. Look the money you have in your pockets and ask yourself what do you really want?? .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................... All this fiction bullcrap is not worth it at all. It is horror, pure horror. TRUST ME I KNOW. How old are you? Have job? Try many things? I mean seriously it is your life. IF your really really good at something. Get extremly good at it. But if you need money then become a brain surgeon for all icare. YOU CAN"T HAVE DISTRACTIONS FOR MANY JOBS. Also you do not need college to get a decent $20 per hour job.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
YOur comment kind of proves my point. You can go to a local community college and take classes in radio and music. You have access to probably most of that same equipment and learn about it for a fraction of the price of going to a school like Columbia.

Also, same way a college athlete who probably has a chance of going pro should get a degree as a backup in case they don't or get injured personally I would advise a kid going into some very competitive music field or something to get a practical degree and either minor in whatever "hobby" activity they have or take classes outside of college.

I just hate to see soeone go into 100k debt to go to this top music and arts school. If they don't become Dr. Dre's next producer they are probably going to be doing several part time jobs in AV at schools and churches having a hard time paying back student loans and making ends meet.
You missed Pitt Chicks point. There are many choices between full pay at an expensive college and going to a community college. Most State Colleges are still reasonably priced. Many private colleges have financial and merit aid.

No matter what career option you choose, it should be one that fulfills you and pays the bills. To me, that's the bottom line.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:34 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You missed Pitt Chicks point. There are many choices between full pay at an expensive college and going to a community college. Most State Colleges are still reasonably priced. Many private colleges have financial and merit aid.

No matter what career option you choose, it should be one that fulfills you and pays the bills. To me, that's the bottom line.
Thank you... yes, my point WAS missed!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well I would ask them to create a SWOT analysis of their capabilities and then use the Ben Franklin Closing Technique on them with the results to see why in their own words they should use a Plan B. If someone is truly capable in the Creative Arts industry then they do not have to wait by age 18 to gain recognition for their skills. Same with Sports or writing talent or other.

I could always use my example, my brother, my business acquaintances etc as those who went practical and used private time to focus on creative interests. But when I was 18 I listened to no one.

Finally there is that well known statistic that applies to all fields of creative talent, whether writing, or sports or fighter pilots! The cream of the crop always succeed in their chosen field. Others take years to hone their abilities and find work. Others never proceed above a certain workman level and trudge along for years. Other aspirants just plain fail. The success slope is shaped like an isosceles triangle. It is similar to the 80/20 rule for business except the A-list actors are a much smaller percentage of the big earners. Hopefully the aspirant knows where the stand in relation to peers.
The thing is that there are other jobs in artistic industries that do not include being a performer. Most business people in the arts have a background in the arts. Students in the arts need to refrain from the "all nor nothing" school of thinking which has them becoming a rock star (all) or working at McDonalds (nothing). There are jobs as studio musicians, managers, agents, promoters and other business related jobs for music majors. To me, the problem is kids who think that being a rock star is the only way to be successful as an arts major.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
Ideally following the dream and majoring in a practical degree should be one and the same. Realistically that is often naught the case or not to the degree you dreamed. For example lets say your dream was to become a famous musician, make money touring (Green day, The rolling stones etc...) but instead you wound up as a session musician, music for commercials, movies, studio work etc... -so ok you did not hit the dream of becoming the next "The Beatles" BUT you are able to make money of music (your dream) even if it was not how you initially planned.

For my opinion I am going to go with the unpopular route- Pick the practical degree, graduate with the practical degree. Maybe the "following your dream" becomes a hobby or something you do on the side until you hit it big, but for the interim you need a job. When you are post grad living on your own, having to pay rent and the student loans and having to borrow from your parents every time because your paycheck is not enough, that is not fun. When you are post grad and are unable to move out of the parent's house because of low pay-that is not fun. Dreams are a wonderful thing to have and to aspire to, just be aware dreams alone will pay the rent, buy the groceries and car insurance etc...

Old 11-25-2014, 07:40 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thing is that there are other jobs in artistic industries that do not include being a performer. Most business people in the arts have a background in the arts. Students in the arts need to refrain from the "all nor nothing" school of thinking which has them becoming a rock star (all) or working at McDonalds (nothing). There are jobs as studio musicians, managers, agents, promoters and other business related jobs for music majors. To me, the problem is kids who think that being a rock star is the only way to be successful as an arts major.
I meant performer as in outstanding in their selected field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities