Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,993 times

Advertisements

As I haven't been able to find a job with my law degree, I would like to know what industries I could potentially look into?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Legal counsel for non-profits or businesses. The brother of a friend of mine got a job at Hallmark Cards, and has been set for life with that career. He's still there 20 years later. Big businesses need someone to handle their contracts. Universities have lawyers. Indian tribes need someone to handle contracts. Think outside the box; not all the lawyer jobs are with law firms. While you're job searching, offer your services to a non-profit on a volunteer basis. Through networking, you may eventually find a paid position. You never know. Volunteer for a political candidate in the run-up to the 2016 elections. You can get a paid job out of that, if your boy (or girl) wins. And you'll get experience for your resume and a good source for recommendations, whether the candidate wins or not.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:08 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Legal counsel for non-profits or businesses. The brother of a friend of mine got a job at Hallmark Cards, and has been set for life with that career. He's still there 20 years later. Big businesses need someone to handle their contracts. Universities have lawyers. Indian tribes need someone to handle contracts. Think outside the box; not all the lawyer jobs are with law firms. While you're job searching, offer your services to a non-profit on a volunteer basis. Through networking, you may eventually find a paid position. You never know. Volunteer for a political candidate in the run-up to the 2016 elections. You can get a paid job out of that, if your boy (or girl) wins. And you'll get experience for your resume and a good source for recommendations, whether the candidate wins or not.

That is called being "in house counsel"

Old 12-07-2014, 04:57 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If he or she hasn't been able to find a legal job yet, virtually no one will hire for an in-house position without prior legal experience.

OP, do you actually want to be a lawyer?

Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
As I haven't been able to find a job with my law degree, I would like to know what industries I could potentially look into?

Thank you!
A legal education is invaluable and qualifies you for many positions. Do a google seach on "400+ things you can do with a law degree (other than".

Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 PM

514 posts, read 764,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
A legal education is invaluable and qualifies you for many positions. Do a google seach on "400+ things you can do with a law degree (other than".
No.

Asking this question to a group of non-lawyers is likely to yield a lot of useless feedback, as has already been demonstrated.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Have you done any internships?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

This is 100% totally and utterly false. A JD is a degree from a trade school and qualifies you to be a lawyer (but not even very well for that, as law school doesn't teach you much that you need for practice). A lot of people transition from a legal career to a business or quasi-legal career, but that's always going to be a mixture of happenstance and "right place, right time" and should not ever be counted on.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:

Thank you!
The biggest mistake that most people who get a law degree and struggle to find employment make is refusing to consider simply going into solo practice. This is a tight job market and a law degree may not open many doors right now.

Thirty years ago, I struggled to find work as an attorney. I eventually did land a couple of jobs, but neither worked out. Out of necessity, I set up my own law office.

Today, I regard it--next to marrying my wife--as the greatest thing I ever did. Few occupations offer someone the chance to be their own boss and to work entirely for themselves. Law is one of those occupations. It requires some chutzpah and a willingness to take a few risks.

Consider a strategy like this: Go to the nearest downtown and try to find the office building with the most attorneys in it. Find the very smallest and cheapest office for rent in that building and hang out a shingle. Go around to all the other attorneys in that building and offer to take the work that they do not want to do. This might be individual bankruptcies, collections work, or petty criminal cases. Take that work. Walk around. Meet people. Have a real life insurance agent and a real life accountant to prepare your taxes. Give them business cards. Go to the bank you do business with and talk to them. Often bankers encounter people who need legal services for things like probate. Make it clear you would appreciate such referrals and hand out more business card. Get lots of business cards made. In a world that is full of people who want to live on the internet, make some personal contacts. Do a good job for the people you represent and tell them how badly you need their help to stay in business. Learn about advertising on the internet. Find out how you can create a presence there for the fewest dollars possible.

Some other suggestions:

1. Always wear your best clothes when you are out in public and groom yourself well too.
2. Practice smiling. Smiles will always get you further than a frown. People like optimists and optimism.
3. Try to make no fewer than twenty business-related telephone calls a day.
4. Join a church and attend regularly getting to know others in the process.
5. See if there are any community groups that you can join.

In two or three years, you may have a very viable law practice. If you fail, will you be in a worse position than you are now?

I did what I describe above and I now have that law practice along with a very healthy income. I look back at my younger years now as a lawyer with quite a bit of nostalgia. They are golden to me.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:18 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I live around LA - seems like everybody here has a law degree. There are so many, that only the ones work in law firm who have graduated from a super expensive fancy school. All the other lawyers end up in insurance or bigger corporations as inhouse counsels. Every industry needs attorneys, movie industry, pharma industry, car industry ....

Google is your friend ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities