Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 6,545 times

Advertisements

So, because of my alternative education (i.e. homeschooling), Im not to well-informed about the inner-workings of college.

I'm aspiring for a PhD in biology which, as Ive gathered, is an 8-year period, or 4 terms in all (2 years per term? Associate's, bachelor's, master's and PhD (doctor's)), correct?
So, my main question is; can I minor in something different per term? (Or in my case, even triple minor?)

Thank you very, very much for any of your advice, and I apolagiies if I explained my predicament badly.

Feel free to correct me on any factual mistakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Ok, let's separate a couple of things. There aren't "terms" in the sense you've used them. Possible degree levels include AA (associate in arts) This is a 2 year degree--normally if going for a doctorate, you would not pass through this step unless you started at a community college and then transferred.
BA or BS (Bachelor of Art/Bachelor of Science--A BS would be the typical starting point for someone in biology though some would be a BA. This is normally a 4 year degree, but many folks take 5 or eve 6 years.
MA or MS (Master of Arts/Master of Science)-- This follows the BS in the hierarchy and normally takes 2-3 years. However, and this is critical, many/most students no longer get the MS before proceeding for the PhD. Used to be common to be BS/MS/PhD, but now days more common to be BS/PhD.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Depending on the student this could be anywhere from 3-8 years beyond the BS. Some are faster than others, but I have known some who took 10 years beyond BS before completing the PhD.

So you would most likely go for a BS first (4 year degree). If you plan to be a biologist, you would most likely major in biology. While doing that you could minor in many possible things, from education to another science. Then once you graduate and enter graduate school, working toward the PhD, you would not typically "minor" in another subject. Most of your work would be focused toward the research and dissertation for the PhD.

Your timeline would be something like this:
Year 1-4: BS major in Biology, minor in something else
Years 5 - 9: PhD in Biology give or take a couple years.

jim

Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
What he said. What do you intend to do with a PhD in biology?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 AM

im not as "in it" for the degree, more so for what I actually learn. To me, the PhD is more of a "perk", or "proof" if you will.

Now I most want to research and discover plant species (have you seen how little information they have on plant species'? Ugh, awful) and with a major in biology and minors in chemistry, herbalism, and ecology (all of which Im greatly interested in) I think I may be able to Be given the creditedntials I need (maybe Ill even be funded, who knows?).

Either way, Im just enthusiastic about learning, which is why Im looking for alternative ways th minor in more subjects (that being said, whats a double major exactly? Is it merely taking up another major after your first or is it something more what it actually sounds like?)

Arts
Mechanical engineering
Ethno-botany
Linguistics
Anthropology
Etymology
Etc, etc

Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloeorr View Post
(that being said, whats a double major exactly? Is it merely taking up another major after your first or is it something more what it actually sounds like?)
It's usually exactly what it sounds like, and if that's your goal, you had better stay in very close contact with an advisor who *signs* on your degree plan, so they don't 'forget' some_random_ course in one of the majors. Ultimately, it's your plan though, so advise yourself on what's required.

You take the general courses, and then take 2 (or more) sets specialization courses, e.g. business and philosophy or economics and computer science, simultaneously, until you've fulfilled the requirements for both degrees.

Schools have different policies on how many and what kind of credits can be used for both degrees, but there's often some overlap. For instance, if there's a history core requirement (you have to take an approved history course to get the degree), it's unlikely you'll have to do the core requirement twice.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Ah, thats a relief to know that Im allowed to do that, thanks so much!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 AM

You said "typically", does that mean its legally (for lack of a better word) possible to minor in something during your PhD term?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by Chloeorr; 12-17-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Some PhD programs might offer concentrations or a focus. I don't know if this is common in the natural sciences, but I've seen it plenty of times in business, education, and the social sciences.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:12 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Some PhD programs might offer concentrations or a focus. I don't know if this is common in the natural sciences, but I've seen it plenty of times in business, education, and the social sciences.
Right - that's an important distinction.

At the undergrad level, it's fairly common to "minor" in something other than your primary focus. For example a Business Major with a minor in Spanish language.

At the PhD/grad level, generally you don't "minor" outside your program - you can select a "concentration" within your degree program (For example, "marketing" within an MBA degree).

So at the grad level, you're talking about a particular area of focus within the graduate program. With a double-major or minor [at the undergrad level] you're talking about picking up a subset of courses from another department entirely, the difference being that a 2nd major might require 10 courses in that other department, whereas a minor might be 4-6.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:46 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloeorr View Post
You said "typically", does that mean its legally (for lack of a better word) possible to minor in something during your PhD term?

Thank you for your help
Basically what others have explained. Essentially by the time you're working on a PhD, with coursework, research, Teaching Assistant or Lab Assistant (or both), dissertation, etc, you are working so many hours you just don't have time to think about a minor. Now there are some folks who complete a PhD and then go for another or an MBA to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities